F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Frank_S on March 10, 2010, 04:32:45 PM
Should I mention to Jim that I will be using this guitar pretty much for fingerstyle play to set up the action accordingly? I'm going for the bone saddle and nut. Is setup included in the install? Sorry if this is a stupid question.  :laughin:
Not a stupid question at all, Frank. Yes, I think you should tell him when you order saddle & nut.

Now, I guess we have to get together & order tuners. Tuffy put a set of Grover Sta-tites on his F-III  ($37 + bushings?)& said they would look fine. LMII has Goth open-gear tuners made just for them (think all metal, no plastic bushings). They go for $43-$55 (approx.), plus bushings, which will be needed if mini tuners are stock.
  Besides the Waverlys that Joyce wants, which Jim probably carries, which are the ones most would want? My impression was most wanted open-gear ones, but any thoughts? If Jim orders more than 3 from Stew-Mac (Grovers) or the Gotohs (LMII), a discount will be applied. Just most of us have to get on the same boat? My new LMII catalog should be here this week, as I prefer to read magazines. Can you guess which room? :humour:
  Any thoughts? I want to see what they come with & how the guitar sounds before I put Waverlys on. My F-III would definitely get them, just haven't done it yet or found the need.
    Jeff
  Grovers, shows one. Gotoh, shows 2.

[attachment deleted by admin]
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 09, 2010, 05:31:21 PM
Another reason for building them in Vancouver versus Oxnard might be employee pay scale...I would assume that cost of living is less in western Canada than southern California, so it stands to reason that labor costs would be less up north as well. Therefore, the lower price, lower profit margin models are made there. The more expensive models are made in CA.

Now we know what we already knew - Larrivee IS building our guitars.  :rolleye:

Sorry, just had to pipe in on this comment. Vancouver has the most expensive real estate in our country. Not a cheap place to live.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Jim, very sorry to hear that you were ill and viruses managed to take your computer out. Just know that Karma does have a way of coming around and smacking people in the head that do stuff like send out viruses. Their time will come.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 10, 2010, 06:22:11 PM
Besides the Waverlys that Joyce wants, which Jim probably carries, which are the ones most would want? My impression was most wanted open-gear ones, but any thoughts?

For my FIV, I'd like open gear tuners.  At the moment, I'm leaning toward Sta-tites, but I could easily be convinced to go for Waverlys.
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Yes, open tuner :bgrin: Any kind :tongue:
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

Waverlys...can we get them in gold?

-James

:drool:
Larrivee P-03
Martin 000-28
Martin OMSW-Cherry
Martin Backpacker Steel String
Takamine Classical
Early Ovation Celebrity
Roland A-60 Acoustic Amplifier

Quote from: lyric_girl on March 10, 2010, 06:22:51 PM

Yep Can't imagine Oxnard having a greater cost of living than Vancouver and if it does then neither are cheap by any means sorry to sidetrack
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Definitely an open tuner for me!!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: lyric_girl on March 10, 2010, 06:27:30 PM
Jim, very sorry to hear that you were ill and viruses managed to take your computer out. Just know that Karma does have a way of coming around and smacking people in the head that do stuff like send out viruses. Their time will come.

Karma?  :?

Some of us prefer to think of it as JUDGMENT DAY...  :whistling: :cop: :mad:

P.S. lyric girl, thanks for the clarification on western Canada's real estate market and cost of living...who knew!  :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Pic-Guards - Clear or Martin Style - Optional :?  :?  :?

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 11, 2010, 09:08:36 AM
Pic-Guards - Clear or Martin Style - Optional :?  :?  :?
It's the Martin Style.  I think they will put it in the case if I remember right. That's what I asked for in the beginning ie. don't install it.  John Jr. did surprise us on the F-III though and offered the clear guards as well.  Maybe it will happen again.
          E-mail Jim about your choice.

Not to side track your options discussion but I found this info interesting, a little excerpt from Acoustic Guitar on alternative woods.

"Many alternative woods for backs and sides have already proven themselves in the marketplace. "Take sapele and ovangkol, for example, which are mahogany and rosewood alternatives," says Taylor Guitar's Bob Taylor. "They're both widely used in guitar building now, though 15 years ago you never saw them in a guitar. We make 80 guitars a day with sapele and ovangkol, and people accept them readily." "

Kind of puts into perspective the difference in guitar production between Larrivee and Taylor. If Larrivee was putting out 80 guitars a day you would be playing your F-IV's right now.

Back to tuners.
From the looks of it these open gear tuners come with a chrome tuning knob that looks permanent, so you would have to like the knob, correct?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I can wait for tuners.  I haven't swapped out the LS-03's yet and it hasn't been a problem so far.  Not a priority for me.

What I would like, is to see some pics of our guitars in the build process....

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 11, 2010, 10:25:30 AM
Kind of puts into perspective the difference in guitar production between Larrivee and Taylor. If Larrivee was putting out 80 guitars a day you would be playing your F-IV's right now.

Prefer quality over marketing and Quantity tho.   I will take the Larrivee anyday. Not that Taylors are bad they are great guitars tho more duds and much more expensive. Gotta pay for the Celeb endorsement somehow I guess. Just NOT ME!!!!!

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 11, 2010, 10:46:02 AM
Prefer quality over marketing and Quantity tho.   I will take the Larrivee anyday. Not that Taylors are bad they are great guitars tho more duds and much more expensive. Gotta pay for the Celeb endorsement somehow I guess. Just NOT ME!!!!!

That was kind of my point.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 11, 2010, 10:48:51 AM
That was kind of my point.

Was never real good at reading between the lines   :cheers

Quote from: Denis on March 11, 2010, 10:39:53 AM
I can wait for tuners.  I haven't swapped out the LS-03's yet and it hasn't been a problem so far.  Not a priority for me.

Same here. I actually took the open gear tuners off my OM and put the original (Schallers) back on...might do the same on my D-03 (pretty sure the originals are Pings). Of course, now I have extra holes in the headstocks of both.  :crying:

So I'm not in any hurry to mod the Forum IV with tuners that will require extra holes. I might go with a replacement tuner that lines up with the stock holes. Would that be one of the Gotoh minis?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 11, 2010, 11:11:16 AM
Same here. I actually took the open gear tuners off my OM and put the original (Schallers) back on...might do the same on my D-03 (pretty sure the originals are Pings). Of course, now I have extra holes in the headstocks of both.  :crying:

So I'm not in any hurry to mod the Forum IV with tuners that will require extra holes. I might go with a replacement tuner that lines up with the stock holes. Would that be one of the Gotoh minis?

I think the regular Gotoh, not 510s, line up...not sure.  I'm not sure about the 510...they might?  Don't Schallers line up OK too?  If I change them, it won't be a set of open gear or anything fancy.  Whatever fits basically.

The discussion earlier had been about ordering a number of open-geared tuners to get a price break. I, too, haven't touched my F-III mini Pings, but open ones sure would look nice. I haven't had any tuning problems with the Pings. Considering the cost Larrivee gets them for, which on a massive order would be pretty cheap, they are just fine. A little more accuracy would be a trade-off, the Grovers being 18:1 ratio. The Gotohs are 15:1, I'm pretty sure, so not much of a difference (mini Pings, 14:1). They would add a nice vintage look, but to some looks aren't everything. Shouldn't be, but it's fun to get your guitar looking like you want it to?
   I was going to go with the clear pick guard, but after seeing the Santa Cruz "1929" & some Martin -15 & -17 series, am digging the TS one. Have a clear on my F-III, which is perfect. Personal preference. Normally like a clear one on all Larrivees, Traditional series being the exception. Have a choice, so just let Jim know?
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true