F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I don't think build time has anything to do with quality, it has to do with manpower. First, there are a lot more steps involved with the higher end models. More importantly, How many workers are there in Oxnard as compared to Vancouver?  Less workers equates to slower build time.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 13, 2010, 10:25:39 AM
I don't think build time has anything to do with quality, it has to do with manpower. First, there are a lot more steps involved with the higher end models. More importantly, How many workers are there in Oxnard as compared to Vancouver?  Less workers equates to slower build time.
Actually at the beginning and through most of the build of the F-III there were a lot of workers in Vancouver. I called and e-mailed Larrivee to get the number so we could buy enough Donuts etc. for all of them.
               Then at the end of the run the crew was reduced. So during the build it was not a skeleton crew. Even at the end most of the guys were not doing much. There was just not much left accept set up and shipping.
                           I think it was well over 40 employees during the build.

There were 6-8 workers dedicated to our F-IIIs for the build. As I said, they were unsure of their future, as were all that had a factory "shut-down" during that time. I disagree about the build time here, as there weren't more workers to get it done faster. They just felt lucky to be getting the work.
   I get build times for every guitar, no matter what brand. Never had an -03 series that was less than 3 months until my F-III. Inferior guitar? Not @ all. Rushed? IMHO, yes. But a great guitar. We had this discussion a couple of months ago. You thought that the day the order was placed, they started the build. Not the case.
   Less workers equate to slower build times? I agree. Then why build times of 6-7 weeks on the F-IIIs, getting done right thankfully. Oxnard is just a newer, more complex facility than Vancouver with more people working there. There was a room full of hundreds of what was assumed to be -03 models in cases, just sitting there waiting to be sent to new owners. Must have taken alot of man power to keep up with orders & get that far ahead on stock?
   Ordered my L-10 in '93, took about 3-4 months to finish. Smaller place, less people, MUCH more appointments. Same guitar now takes about the same time. Longest thing was probably Wendy's genie inlay. I do have a preference to where, my choice being Oxnard. Again, why were the MATTE OO-03 Limiteds built there? Any answers that might make sense? I'm being serious, as I've been trying to figure this one out. :?
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Sorry Jeff, your numbers don't add up at all. Just review the build thread and pictures on Facebook. Most of the ones you see in the pictures were not even there when we went in March. So your numbers can't be right. I talked with Wendy on the phone about the number of employees there as well as e-mails. And 16 of us were there.
       I don't want to argue, just lay out what I know, so that some newbies don't get wrong information.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 13, 2010, 10:45:51 AM
 Again, why were the MATTE OO-03 Limiteds built there? Any answers that might make sense? I'm being serious, as I've been trying to figure this one out. :?
     Jeff

Valid question for sure one I too was a wondering about!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 13, 2010, 09:32:44 AM
   .... Slotting the nut on the F-III's in 15-20 seconds by hand using a cardboard guide? Heard that & didn't make sense. This is going to get a lot of attacks, but the Vancouver plant was kept open last year with minimal staff just to get our build done. And as fast as possible. ...       Jeff

I'm not sure about the "fast as possible" and minimal staff, but I do know that the nut was NOT cut properly, and at Trinity Guitars it slipped by Jim H's careful eye.  I had a luthier at Dusty Strings in Seattle make a bone nut a few months after the F-III arrived.  It was a disappointment, that and some unexpected run-out on the top.

So why did I order the F-IV?  The F-III LS-03R has been shaping into an exceptional mid-size guitar with more rosewood sweetness than I expected.  The Italian top contributes to that as well.  Finally, 12-frets to the body with regular scale length seems to bring more sound to the box. 

You know, all we need is to know when the building started (or will start, please).  The natives are getting restless, it appears.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 13, 2010, 10:20:28 AM
I think the IS/HOG combo is the best of the 2 IS topped ones. Dave Wren talked me into the combo I have, telling me I'd be nicely surprised. I was & am now blown away by mine.

I'm sure the rw/is FIII owners are all pretty happy with their guitars but I am definitely a mh fan and mine just sounds the way I want a guitar to sound.  I was happy from day one and it never lets me down.

This new all hog version of the 00 will be amazing imo.  and like Danny:

Quote from: dependan on February 13, 2010, 09:38:58 AM
It really doesn't matter to me where. I just would like to see it get started. :blush:

Denis, I'm excited also about his guitar. Might be why I have these thoughts. Have NEVER been let down by any Larrivee, can't say the same for other brands. Maybe the wait is letting me think too much?
   Dan, you were there, apparently spoke to Wendy, so as far as the #'s go, you know the bottom line. Am not trying to put a sour taste in any newbies mouths, just was going by what many had told me. I stand corrected if I'm wrong. I don't want to argue, esp. with you. I feel like you're a rock here @ the Forum & have you to thank among some others for the F-IV build. Peace, brother. As I had said, never had a Larrivee I didn't like. No matter what series. When I called Dave, I had ordered an IS/RW model. He told me to try the HOG body one, which I did, with amazing results. My fav of my 2 acoustics I have @ the moment. Even though I anticipate the F-IVs to be great, don't think they will best my F-III. Just love it. It's like your story when you & Norman had lunch in some small Texan town, playing on a porch after. People walking by stopped to listen & tell you how great all sounded. Others can hear the beauty also.
   To all newbies that might read this, it isn't meant as bashing Larrivee. I fell in love with them in '92, commissioned my L-10 Custom in '93, had a L-05 & L-09 while my L-10 was being built. Kept the L-05 for a while after getting my L-10, but couldn't justify having 2 RW L models @ once. They were & still are fantastic guitars.
   Denis, my comments about the IS/RW F-IIIs wasn't meant to be anything negative about those. I just know that almost everyone that got the IS/HOG one just love them, as I do. My comments are a little nitpicking, so don't take them literally. The -03s are supposed to be stepping stones to higher end Larrivees, but those of us that have tried both know there minimal differences, if @ all, in sound & playability. Many prefer -03 series with the matte finish.
   One thing I've noticed is that the -03 series has alot more variety in woods to choose from, Larrivee doing limited runs with obscure woods that are just amazing. Bottom line: please don't take anything negative away from this. Wasn't meant to be that way. Really was a question of plant preference.
   Nothing negative meant here, so if I came off sounding like that, again, I apologize. Since the build was broken into 2 orders, I'm sure the first is well on its way & possibly the second. I can wait, just playin' my F-III as much as I can. Just had a knee replacement, so I play as much as I can handle. Good for the heart & soul!
     Jeff

Jeff - Many of your comments are accurate. The time spent on the final finishing and set-up on the F3s was very short - not that it wasn't done to an acceptable level, but I found that having a really good tech spend some more time fine tuning it ( frets, neck, saddle, nut ) has resulted in a much nicer playing and sounding guitar than was originally shipped to me. And ultimately, I found the IS/RW to be the sweetest combo for my taste - I only wish I'd gotten the herringbone.

I don't think it makes any difference where the F4s will be built. The satin finish is just the final spray coat.  The family has been building guitars for a long time now, and one or more of them will be very hands-on in building these great instruments for you. Be patient until you get them ( I know, it won't be easy ), and then play the snot out of them for a few months, at least. I firmly believe that any guitar needs to be well played-in, that the wood and the internal stresses in the materials and construction all need to equalize and settle in.  Then, plan on spending a little more to have the instrument fine tuned. You will end up with a much nicer guitar than you first received, and it will be worth the time, money, and effort.

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: dependan on November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

So if we keep it simple as has been discussed in the 00-03 thread then we can get this done easily and quickly.

I said that on November 22, 2009.The first post in this thread.
Almost three months later we still are in the dark about anything regarding this build. Is it really just my impatience on this deal? Or does it seem like something is a bit off level here?

Any news...even "Larrivee is not going to build this for another year" would be better than no news. But then again maybe it's just me.

Its not just you. I didn't order one so I have nothing to complain about but if I had ordered one I would be right with you at the front of the line asking "what's the deal"?

Maybe you need to get on a plane and start a fire under them.   :humour:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Dan, on a positive note, Jim emailed me back last night saying he would try to get some update today & post it here. Just trying to stay positive. And it doesn't matter what we say, it's in Larrivee's hands now. I would assume something has to be started on these, esp. the first batch.
   I was wondering if they waited for the second order to be put in to start all. That would be 1/15/10. Don't mean the next day, just get the ball rolling? It's been a month since then, so things might be ramping up?
   The order cutoff was 1/2/09 for the F-III's, but weren't actually started until the beginning of February. This makes sense as far as a time-line if the order was held off & then combined, not being started until recently, soon, whatever. No, it's not you. A little news would be just fine. Somethings missing from the loop, & is that us?
     Jeff

As my dear mother (rest her soul) used to say, "Patience is a virtue."
I can wait, since A) I have no choice but to wait and B) I have other guitars to play and C) when it arrives human nature and history indicates I simply move on to the next big thing. The clock moves fast enough for me these days. I turned 57 years old today. More sunrises behind me than in front of me.

Quote from: Queequeg on February 17, 2010, 10:32:10 PM
I turned 57 years old today. More sunrises behind me than in front of me.
Happy Birthday!  There are worse things in life than turning 57.
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

I turned 57 years old today. More sunrises behind me than in front of me.

Happy Birthday!!!  :cheers  :cheers  :cheers

Yes your ABC reasons are correct. But I am also in the same boat with others... a little news would be nice, please (i.e. "yes, orders are confirmed", or maybe "looking for MH top", or maybe "necks are on CNC" etc.) I wish... :whistling:

cheers,
Peter

Quote from: pehabe on February 18, 2010, 02:10:35 AM
a little news would be nice, please (i.e. "yes, orders are confirmed", or maybe "looking for MH top", or maybe "necks are on CNC" etc.) I wish... :whistling:

cheers,
Peter

Or 'we are just stringin' 'em up this morning',  :laughin: The forum III build was surprisingly fast once it started.

Happy Birthday Q!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

As my dear mother (rest her soul) used to say, "Patience is a virtue."
I can wait, since A) I have no choice but to wait and B) I have other guitars to play and C) when it arrives human nature and history indicates I simply move on to the next big thing. The clock moves fast enough for me these days. I turned 57 years old today. More sunrises behind me than in front of me.But with the incc
Happy Birthday...you just caught up with me.  :donut :donut2

I've been waiting myself for three months. I was not "for" the extension of the order deadline another month for this reason. I knew that would probably result in one order, (not two). And with the winter holidays approaching at the time I was hoping for a clean and quick order to allow for a build to begin after the first of the year. Which would have meant the 00 would be shipped by early March.

I think patience is a virtue also. I also like the word "communication". I was taught in one of the few college courses that I have taken that "Communication is the number one problem with mankind today". I don't think it really is number one, but it sure can help relationships among family members, social interactions and countries.

And I think it would help a lot on the F-IV from Larrivee Guitar Co. also. :thumbsup

Quote from: dependan on February 18, 2010, 07:45:53 AM

I think patience is a virtue also. I also like the word "communication". I was taught in one of the few college courses that I have taken that "Communication is the number one problem with mankind today".
Right Danny. Communications- big problem.
And bombs, too. They are in the top 5, for sure.

Quote from: Queequeg on February 18, 2010, 08:04:59 AM
Right Danny. Communications- big problem.
And bombs, too. They are in the top 5, for sure.
:bgrin: Yup, bombs are right up there for sure.

Personally I was for the extension as this has been labelled from the start as a Forum guitar - thus everyone on the Forum were given ample opportunity to partake. there is absolutely no evidence that I have been privy to on this forum that would enable me to connect the two week extension to a delay of some sort  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)