F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mediums on everything, lights are for sissys.   :humour:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Frederico on February 05, 2010, 02:01:23 PM
What gauge is the Forum IV set for?  I just noticed that the spruce top 00-03 is set up for medium gauge.  I always think medium gauge strings are for jumbo-like guitars to take advantage of the larger body volume.  I expected light strings will be used for a couch guitar like 00 or a parlor. Am I correct?

00 and parlor are two different beasts - especially scale length. So the parlor should definitely have mediums (IMHO) because of the shorter scale and lower tension; the 00 - it's more about your personal preference. I'll definitely give both a try.

Sending my second payment to Jim today!  More than 2/3 paid for now!    :nanadance
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hope I'm not polluting this thread, too much time on my hands waiting until late March - early April (?).

One solution was to give in to GAS and buy my first Larrivee (see Pics forum), another is to speculate on how the Forum -IV is gonna look like. Take your pick!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

No problem :whistling: I'd already done so when I placed an order with Jim for a Taylor 814ce cedar top earlier this week :nanadance

My new problem is it won't come until late March :crying:

Couldn't wait for Easter weekend as I may end up with two new guitars together :nice guitar:
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

Quote from: jpmist on February 05, 2010, 05:44:52 PM
Hope I'm not polluting this thread, too much time on my hands waiting until late March - early April (?).

One solution was to give in to GAS and buy my first Larrivee (see Pics forum), another is to speculate on how the Forum -IV is gonna look like. Take your pick!

the one in the middle....wow, I thought I was really excited before!!!  Nice job on those shots.

Very sexy.   I can't wait to see one glossed up.   Who's gonna be the first to go glossy?   :smile:
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 05, 2010, 02:55:33 PM
00 and parlor are two different beasts - especially scale length. So the parlor should definitely have mediums (IMHO) because of the shorter scale and lower tension; the 00 - it's more about your personal preference. I'll definitely give both a try.

Sending my second payment to Jim today!  More than 2/3 paid for now!    :nanadance

I'm still zeroing in on strings for my (spruce top) 00-03.  On my parlor, Pearse Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass is perfection.  So far on the 00. I tried mediums which were a bit stiff, and now I have a set of lights (both Pearse Phosphor bronze).  The lights are better for feel...  (yes, I openly admit it...  I'm a sissy) but I'm torn on sound.  I'd like to try a set that is the opposite of bluegrass...  light bass strings and medium trebles.  But I think I should bash on the thing a bunch and let it settle into what it is before I get much more esoteric on strings.  So far, regardless of the strings. it's a well made, good sounding guitar.

Ed

ps: they are spec'ed for mediums

Ed, I have a OO-03 (spruce) on order with Guitar Adoptions.  Thanks for the info on the strings.  I will keep the Pearse strings in mind.

FWIW, several years ago just out of curiosity, I ran a bunch of numbers through one ofthe online string tension calculators.  The tensions for medium strings on a 24 inch scale (i.e. parlor) were nearly identical to light strings on a 25.5" scale. 

When varying from standard sets (light or medium), the other problem to deal with is availability.  Just something to keep in mind when chosing a set to get used to.  If it is one of the lesser used gagues (new mediums, bluegrass, etc.), you either need to have a local that stocks them,  convince your local to stock them, or be organized enough to mailorder a few extras so you have them on hand.

Ed

Honestly, unless you're used to playing with mediums, they are an adjustment. Used then on my SD-50, just tore my "sissy" fingers up a bit. All of my others have or had lights, thank you. I guess I'll just have to come to the conclusion & adjust to the fact that I'm not enough of a man for those REAL strings! :humour:
   This guitar is my couch guitar, my go-to one when grabbing something small & easy to play my blues & stuff on. Denis, I agree about hiding the nice wood, as I have clear guards on my F-III & L-10. And, yes, I know they used some tortoise shell guards, but they tended to be a darker style, not the much more colorful ones as Larrivees. I have thought this over, even put a black overlay on my F-III copied from my extra t.s. p/g I never used. Am sold on the black one.
   And as far as the string tension, me letting Jim set everything up (bone saddle, bone nut, strings, etc.) will let him adjust everything for the lights, so no tweaking on my end. Let the master do his work. Oh, forgot the sweet open-geared Sta-tites. Will receive the guitar just as I want it. Then have to have neck dots put on the opposite side, another $40-$50. Play totally backwards, asking Jim if he wanted to do the dots. Said it would be easier for me to use my local luthier, who's been doing this for years for me. Buy a right handed guitar, end up with dots on both sides, Such is life!
   Now, let me get back to manning-up my fingers for those mediums. Can't go on with lightweight fingers anymore! :bgrin:
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Hi   Hi have got a few email in the last week asking how many F IV guitars were ordered  29 is the total. Also been asked about the status. i have not heard any thing. I will contact Larrivee this week and ask for an update and ask if John will PLEASE do the face book page again.
Over and out   Back to work!
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: TrinityGuitars on February 06, 2010, 02:01:54 PM
Hi   Hi have got a few email in the last week asking how many F IV guitars were ordered  29 is the total. Also been asked about the status. i have not heard any thing. I will contact Larrivee this week and ask for an update and ask if John will PLEASE do the face book page again.
Over and out   Back to work!
Jim Holler
A big THANKS for that update Jim.

Thanks Jim!

-James

:cheers
Larrivee P-03
Martin 000-28
Martin OMSW-Cherry
Martin Backpacker Steel String
Takamine Classical
Early Ovation Celebrity
Roland A-60 Acoustic Amplifier

I don't have a facebook acct. (don't want one.) Will these be viewable w/o signing up for one?  :?
anybody know?

Quote from: Queequeg on February 07, 2010, 11:28:22 AM
I don't have a facebook acct. (don't want one.) Will these be viewable w/o signing up for one?  :?
anybody know?

Here is a link to the Forum III photos on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=61139122760&so=0

Can you see them?

I can without logging into FaceBook.

How about you?

I can see them, but also saved all of the pics from the F-III build under my favorites. Don't want a Facebook acct. again. Everybody & then some pop up out of the woodwork, asking to be their friend. Don't mind some, but would prefer not to join again. I saved mine (pics) when I had an account.
   ST, did you have these saved also? When you bring up Facebook, you have to sign up again to view these (if you don't have them saved). Some like "Whackbook", many Forum members getting out of it when the build was over.
   Would be nice if a Flickr acct. could be set up? Not as intrusive to our personal info, even though you have some control over that. I esp. don't like the fact that all of your pics & all are property of the book, for use @ any time. Even after you get off.
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Hi,

No, I did not have them saved.

I followed this link

on a machine that I do not use for FaceBook.  I did not sign in, either.

I was able to see the pictures just fine.

I have no feelings about FaceBook either way, but I'm grateful that the folks at Larrivée put the pictures online.  I'll be happy to view the pictures wherever they (Larrivée) put them.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 07, 2010, 11:57:52 AM
   I can see them, but also saved all of the pics from the F-III build under my favorites. Don't want a Facebook acct. again. Everybody & then some pop up out of the woodwork, asking to be their friend. Don't mind some, but would prefer not to join again. I saved mine (pics) when I had an account.
   ST, did you have these saved also? When you bring up Facebook, you have to sign up again to view these (if you don't have them saved). Some like "Whackbook", many Forum members getting out of it when the build was over.
   Would be nice if a Flickr acct. could be set up? Not as intrusive to our personal info, even though you have some control over that. I esp. don't like the fact that all of your pics & all are property of the book, for use @ any time. Even after you get off.
     Jeff

Back when it started, I couldn't get a facebook account because you had to be a college student to have one. Now every major corporation has one. They've gotten along just fine without me all these years and I guess they can manage a while longer.

Quote from: ST on February 07, 2010, 11:31:38 AM
Here is a link to the Forum III photos on Facebook.

Can you see them?

I can without logging into FaceBook.

How about you?

WOW!!  These pictures really make you appreciate all the steps in building a guitar!  This was enlightening.