F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 02, 2010, 09:17:37 AM
Please keep us posted with Jim's response to this as I too am strongly considering the tuner replacement ( have from the start) thus Jim won't have a bunch asking the same question 

He might have already had a bunch asking about tuner replacements.  I enquired about it too. 

If enough people want it, maybe it could be done at the factory.
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 02, 2010, 10:26:49 AM

The main difference I see is that the SC is a short scale...but I had to laugh that they say they're honoring the move to all mahogany guitars because of the depression...and then their price is over THREE GRAND! Hah! I'll take my Forum IV, thank you!

Nice sound clip demo of the 1929 (as they call it); I suspect the Larrivee FIV will have a little more clarity in the midrange because of the slightly longer scale length (the 1929 in the demo tended to get a little mushy or boomy with fingerstyle playing). JMHO.

I was really struck by the similarities; all mahogany, ebony fretboard, head plate and pyramid bridge, not slot-headed, neck width & bridge width. We get herringbone rosette, back strip with a (possibly) thinner satin finish, they get mahogany binding (huh?), an uncomfortable V-neck, open back tuners and a $3 K price tag.

If ours sounds even close to the sample clip I'll be a very happy camper.

FWIW I did a photoshop mockup of what our IV may look like. I have it on my cell wallpaper. Dunno if it makes waiting for it any easier, but sure gives me something to look forward to.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: Frank_S on February 01, 2010, 05:46:12 PM
Check out Page 22 of the newest (March 2010) Acoustic Guitar magazine. An all mahogany Santa Cruz 12 Fret 00. :nice guitar:

I'm getting real itchy to find out when we'll see our first glimpse of the Forum IV.  :nana_guitar
Nice looking SCGC 00.

Quote from: bobsnob on February 02, 2010, 10:30:35 AM
He might have already had a bunch asking about tuner replacements.  I enquired about it too.  

If enough people want it, maybe it could be done at the factory.
You may be right...But Jim stated from the begining that there would be no factory changes. Jim can swap them out at his facility though I'm sure.
               The holes have to be the right size and the screws would need to line up or else it would be a bigger deal.
                In the end, it's probably better to let Jim be. And just wait this out. We can all change tuners later if we want to.

That sure would be nice to have Tuners installed right at factory it just makes sense and no waste BUT got the impression at the the start of this thing that would only be wishfull thinking. Not sure sure of the effect on the overall assembly process. Wonder how many are seriously considering a tuner replacement - given the fact we still don't know what they will definitely come with.

You never know maybe Grover Sta-tites are being installed on them ALL right now as we speak  :roll
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: jpmist on February 02, 2010, 11:08:45 AM
I was really struck by the similarities; all mahogany, ebony fretboard, head plate and pyramid bridge, not slot-headed, neck width & bridge width. We get herringbone rosette, back strip with a (possibly) thinner satin finish, they get mahogany binding (huh?), an uncomfortable V-neck, open back tuners and a $3 K price tag.

If ours sounds even close to the sample clip I'll be a very happy camper.

FWIW I did a photoshop mockup of what our IV may look like. I have it on my cell wallpaper. Dunno if it makes waiting for it any easier, but sure gives me something to look forward to.
Could you show this with no pick guard?

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 02, 2010, 11:19:28 AM
That sure would be nice to have Tuners installed right at factory it just makes sense and no waste BUT got the impression at the the start of this thing that would only be wishfull thinking. Not sure sure of the effect on the overall assembly process. Wonder how many are seriously considering a tuner replacement - given the fact we still don't know what they will definitely come with.

You never know maybe Grover Sta-tites are being installed on them ALL right now as we speak  :roll
I think they would ALL have to be the same and it would involve a lot of communication, which we are not experiencing much of, at this point with Larrivee. Hopefully that will change in a few weeks or so.

Any change at all in the F-IV would also open the door for others to say "how about this now". So I don't believe that will happen myself.

Quote from: dependan on February 02, 2010, 11:28:22 AM
 Could you show this with no pick guard?

Sure!

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

I have already inquired about having Jim put in a set of the Grover Sta-tites on mine (besides a bone nut). All depends on what comes on the F-IVs & his price for the job. Wanted info on where I had found them in the Stew-Mac catalog. Just sent that to him yesterday. Was thinking on the same lines of if others were interested in changing tuners. Single pricing is less than $50 for a set with bushings. More, less cost to Jim & us.
  Dan, when I saw that "1929" model, I too started to drool. Made my mind up to get the pickguard, looking like a vintage Martin -17 series. The Santa Cruz literally was 3 times more on the street than what we're paying, but it has Waverlys & different bracing, so the sound might be slightly different. And who said ours had a pyramid bridge on it, as jpmist sounds like he's implying? Might just be the way it was worded, but it was listed as a "similarity". News to me? Still can't wait to find out? :drool:
    Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Is anyone considering the Gotoh SG360 tuners, Gold with Ivoroid buttons? Aren't they "drop-in" replacements?
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

I like the 7107 in Cosmo Black Midsize 510 Gotohs. ( I think the mid and not the mini is the drop in)
To err is dysfunctional; to forgive co-dependent

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 02, 2010, 12:30:47 PM
And who said ours had a pyramid bridge on it, as jpmist sounds like he's implying? Might just be the way it was worded, but it was listed as a "similarity". News to me? Still can't wait to find out? :drool:
    Jeff

My bad (as the kids say. . .  :winkin:) No pyramid bridge, thinking of another guitar. Dazed and confused as usual. . .

Check out this Parlor with the Ivoroids.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=28543.0
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Personally I would prefer the Waverly's if a drop in BUT would go for Grover Sta-Tite if a group order install.

Possibly Mr HOLLER can develope a group price for this added upgrade if he is willing to do?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Tuffy put the Sta-tites on his F-III, telling me they would  probably look nice on the F-IV also. Not a drop in, but I thought the idea was an open geared, vintage looking tuner? From what I'm getting, the tuners won't be Pings. If bought in quantity, the Grovers would look nice.
   A small hole under each tuner? If you're keeping your F-IV, shouldn't matter. If not sure, don't have them done. Personally, after having Jim do a bone nut also, I can't swing the Waverlys. Would love to. Would like to put them on my F-III. Just can't. I'm going to email Jim & see if he could look into the cost of both tuners. If enough get in on the Sta-tites, the price might well be worth it?
     Jeff
jpmist, I would love a pyramid bridge on this one. Won't happen, but your wishful thinking might work???

Quote from: BluesMan1 on February 02, 2010, 06:11:49 PM
   Tuffy put the Sta-tites on his F-III, telling me they would  probably look nice on the F-IV also. Not a drop in, but I thought the idea was an open geared, vintage looking tuner? From what I'm getting, the tuners won't be Pings. If bought in quantity, the Grovers would look nice.
   A small hole under each tuner? If you're keeping your F-IV, shouldn't matter. If not sure, don't have them done. Personally, after having Jim do a bone nut also, I can't swing the Waverlys. Would love to. Would like to put them on my F-III. Just can't. I'm going to email Jim & see if he could look into the cost of both tuners. If enough get in on the Sta-tites, the price might well be worth it?
     Jeff
jpmist, I would love a pyramid bridge on this one. Won't happen, but your wishful thinking might work???

Thanks Jeff keep us posted on a possible group buy - as it only makes sense tho IMHO makes more sense to have done at Larrivee as the initial project only needed a minimum of 4 so thus 4 into 32 is say 8 groups theoretically it ought to work for something as simple as tuners. In theory as long as you had 4 or more wanting the "upgrade tuner" should work BUT don't wanna be the sand in the vaseline.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 02, 2010, 10:30:31 PM
Thanks Jeff keep us posted on a possible group buy - as it only makes sense tho IMHO makes more sense to have done at Larrivee as the initial project only needed a minimum of 4 so thus 4 into 32 is say 8 groups theoretically it ought to work for something as simple as tuners. In theory as long as you had 4 or more wanting the "upgrade tuner" should work BUT don't wanna be the sand in the vaseline.
Where did you get the 32 figure? That's the 1st time I have seen that.

Quote from: dependan on February 02, 2010, 10:36:39 PM
  Where did you get the 32 figure? That's the 1st time I have seen that.

Sorry Danny just spewing ,  shoulda said 30something isn't it but certainly enough for multiple groups of 4.

I don't think groups of 4 holds any water now. Four was just the initial number to order a 00-03MT. But that all changed when it became a Forum IV.

And with so little information flowing on this one I just don't see wish lists geting much attention.

After all we still don't even know the total number ordered. And that is just a number.
I think we are just at the mercy of Larrivee to even get this one made. And I am not joking in the least little bit.

I have a feeling AND IT's JUST a FEELING once it starts the info will come a flowin.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 02, 2010, 11:06:35 PM
I have a feeling AND IT's JUST a FEELING once it starts the info will come a flowin.
I hope your right.

I sent Jim an email to price out a quantity purchase for him (more than 3 or 4) from Stew-Mac for the Sta-tites & the Waverlys (the cheaper ones). With his cost of work of course. Don't think (almost a definite) that Larrivee will do anything different with whatever tuners they're putting on. I was thinking of having Jim do them, if he wants to take it on. It's not alot of work, according to Tuffy. Dan could do it with his eyes closed, but I prefer having a pro do it for this guitar?
   As Dan knows, Jim has so much worth & not enough time. Dan, I told him he could email me with an answer, me posting in a bland looking way. You would have all of the bold print, lights, & such that I don't know how to do. Either one works.
   He was emailing me back before this came up, as I had already asked about the Grovers, he wanting more info. Now with more interested, it comes down to whether it's cost effective for him to install them. Don't want him losing money, just getting vintage style tuners, but not knowing about the ones that will come except they will be closed ones. And again, after seeing that "1929" guitar, I personally think the pickguard adds a nice touch. Maybe even a Stew-Mac Martin vintage style one?
   When Jim gets back to me, I'll post something. He had said he would update the final order #'s & any info to keep us happy when he has a chance. Busy guy, so be patient!
     Jeff