Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 96   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars  (Read 326687 times)
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2009, 02:55:24 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily pass if it had a three piece neck - I know (in my head) that a three piece neck will be stable, etc. (I have several such necks from Warmoth), but I strongly agree with the sentiment that these Forum guitars should reflect Larrivee's ethos and heritage...therefore, they should have one piece necks...that's definitely my preference (and esp. on such a unique, rare and special instrument).

I think that it is all of our preferences.  

Play it daily for best results.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »

What will we say when Larrivee goes away from dovetail joints and to an equally (or better) effective but cheaper? 

I never heard anyone who was paying for a neck reset say "sure glad I got this here dovetail joint".
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »

I never heard anyone who was paying for a neck reset say "sure glad I got this here dovetail joint".

That's a GOOD one!   +1

(From one who did pay for a neck reset on a 1973 LoPrinzi.)

Play it daily for best results.
jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »

I think that it is all of our preferences.  

If a one-piece neck would add significantly to the cost, I'd be fine with three-piece.

Jim
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »

Since this is an 03 series Larrivee, other than the new P-03 have any others in the series been 3 piece? Or has there been anything said by Larrivee that this is where they are going with the 03 series line?

btw My preference would be a one piece slot head on the 00-03MT

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
acoustic6

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2009, 03:28:01 PM »

I don't want a 3 piece neck on a Forum Guitar

We shouldn't settle for a cheap guitar.
For what it's worth, I recently bought one of the P-03 parlors from Jim at Trinity and although I really wasn't concerned about it to begin with I must say that they did a beautiful job with the 3 piece neck.  Only place you can clearly see that it is more than one piece is at the heel.  A closer look at the side of the headstock reveals the other joint where you can see the directions of the grain.

Larrivee has never given me a reason to be concerned about their quality ( 3 piece neck or not) or I wouldn't have bought this one and the 3 others I own.  The P-03 exceeded every expectation especially at the price I got it for.  If I thought instead of playing it I'd be holding the guitar out in front of me agonizing about the fact that it doesn't have a one piece neck I'd never have purchased it.  That's just my take on it.

Hat's off to Jim at Trinity and everyone else helping to put this together in short order.  Wish I could afford to be a part of it all but alas, I resign to my couch for some music with my little parlor and it's 3 piece neck.    

1986 Larrivee L-05
Southern Cross

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »

Danny,
I definitely would like to get a price on these when everything is finally decided and sent to you.  I am not in the market for a new guitar, but I may have to sell one of my Larrivee's.  I have bonded quite nicely with my L-03MH that I bought from Jim last Dec.  Thanks in advance.
Clifford

Clifford

Larrivee LV-03RE "Laura" (Moved to Wilmington, NC)
Larrivee L-03 Mahogany 2008 "Roy"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »

Danny,
I definitely would like to get a price on these when everything is finally decided and sent to you.  I am not in the market for a new guitar, but I may have to sell one of my Larrivee's.  I have bonded quite nicely with my L-03MH that I bought from Jim last Dec.  Thanks in advance.
Clifford
  Got it Clifford.

I'm wishing I never made that post about three piece necks and cheap guitar. Oh well.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »

I wouldn't mind a 3 piece neck that was light-dark-light to give it a little contrast...

If its done right, a 3 piece neck with good glue might actually be stronger than a 1 piece neck. ie: in a 1 piece neck, a minor weak spot might run all the way thru or along the neck, where-as in a 3 piece, the weak spot in the grain would be interrupted or supported by adjoining wood pieces, and the glue should add extra strength (be stronger than wood). I say this from experience with composite rifle stocks which are stronger, and less subject to changes in humidity than those made of a single piece of wood.

A slot head would be nice, but would add to the price...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »

What are we talking about with the term three-piece neck?

Are we talking about three pieces of wood glued lengthwise to make a neck blank of sufficient width?

Or are we talking about a single piece of wood for the neck with glued headstock and heel?

Jim
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »

What are we talking about with the term three-piece neck?

Are we talking about three pieces of wood glued lengthwise to make a neck blank of sufficient width?

Or are we talking about a single piece of wood for the neck with glued headstock and heel?

Jim
sort of like this...
jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2009, 04:33:07 PM »

sort of like this...

Thanks. So, if it is three pieces of wood glued lengthwise, you generally get a stiffer, more stable neck.

Jim
noyage

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »

Neck on Martin's new OM-1 - slightly more than 3 pieces:

Nice having a one piece neck but if it plays good and sounds good, it is good ;)

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »

I mentioned Lowden earlier, here is a link to their website which shows their necks being made - it is easy to see because the sandwich layers of rosewood into the 5 piece construction.  They do it this way because they believe it makes a stronger, more stable neck, and looks nice too.  These are 100% hand made instruments, with the technique used as a preference over a single piece neck, hence why the example popped into my mind earlier.

I guess it is the same issue as Taylor preferring bolt on necks though.  Each builder is different and has different opinions.  Otherwise all guitars would be the same I suppose.

here is the link anyway, click on the first set of pictures for necks.

http://web.mac.com/gsl71/George_Lowden_Website/Guitar_making/Guitar_making.html

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »

Okay...here's my compromise...I'll "settle for" a three piece neck if it has the slotted headstock! 

I understand what everyone is saying here about multi-piece necks being more stable, as well as being beautiful when contrasting pieces/species of wood are used...I was just saying that Larrivee has held up their one-piece necks as a sign of their uncompromising quality and commitment to all solid wood instruments. I realize that may have to change someday (look at the 'Martin' above), but I hope it is only on the 03 series guitars, at least in the near future.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »

Okay...here's my compromise...I'll "settle for" a three piece neck if it has the slotted headstock!  

I understand what everyone is saying here about multi-piece necks being more stable, as well as being beautiful when contrasting pieces/species of wood are used...I was just saying that Larrivee has held up their one-piece necks as a sign of their uncompromising quality and commitment to all solid wood instruments. I realize that may have to change someday (look at the 'Martin' above), but I hope it is only on the 03 series guitars, at least in the near future.
Mikeymac, choose Option #7 for the 3-piece neck. Choose Option #12 for the slothead. 

noyage, Martin calls that neck "Stratabond "
This is a trademark product of the Rutland Plywood Corporation. Composed of dye impregnated wood veneers in rich earth tones, Stratabond has formed the stocks and handles of millions of guns and bows for major manufacturers around the world since 1987. However, it has more recently been discovered by some guitar builders to be an excellent, cost-effective alternative to tropical mahogany, which has skyrocketed in cost over the last few years.
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »

The Martin laminated neck is a totally different beast than a 3 piece one. As has been mentioned, the neck is more stable when done in lamination or bonding pieces together. Yes, it gets away from the "purist" idea of a one piece one, but think of composite materials bonded together. End up with a VERY strong & stable part, whatever it is. The graphite (composite) guitars are know just for that: stiffness & stability. Personally, I wouldn't not jump into the F-IV just for this reason. Having played Larrivees for over 25 years, I have confidence in what Jean decides will be a good neck. Won't put his name on just any piece of crap?
   Now just a waiting game for a price. I totally agree that even with a 3 piece neck, this will be an incredible guitar. Keep the faith!!
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »

Larrivees 3 piece design has laminations that run parallel to the fingerboard, so that every part of the neck that you hand touchs is one piece, and the lamination is only visible at the heel and at the headstock. They do not have "wings", nor do they have stripes running along the back of the neck. It is not done strictly because they are trying to save money, they are trying to use the best quality material that they can get their hands on, and getting solid blocks of mahogany large enough and good enough for a complete neck is getting to be much harder than in the past ( yes, that does mean much more expensive ), and in our lifetimes it may become almost impossible. They told us all this when we took the tour of the Vancouver facility and we picked up the F3s, and nothing has changed. All the P03s have laminated necks, and I'll bet most players never even noticed.

They are going to try and keep using one-piece necks on the -09 and -10 series if they can, where the cost to find this material can be added to the overall build. Good materials are going to keep becoming harder to obtain, regardless of the price, and this type of neck is an extremely minimal compromise - NO - it is not a compromise at all - it is a more labor intensive process, and creates a better neck. The lamination in the dovetail makes it a better joint. If it didn't make a qualtiy guitar, or if there were a better option that made a better/ more playable instrument, I am confident Jean would do it that way.

All this info came from the conversations we had at the factory 8 months ago, and from talking to Matthew at Oxnard in August - I do not have any "inside" info at all, and all opinions are strictly my own.  I hope y'all get one piece necks if it is that important - I just also hope it doesn't raise the cost more for those stretching to afford one of these -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »

Tad, thanks for more info. The neck won't stop me from trying to make this work for me, as a OO all HOG is just what the doctor ordered! And a guitar like this just wouldn't be right w/o the 12 frets to the neck, like the vintage Martin all HOG guitars. Man, this is a big decision, as far as cash. Down payment, no problem. Working on the balance, a test of wills? And, I have missed many from the Forum, always enjoying what MOST (joke) have to say. A place of vast knowledge!
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »

For what it's worth, I recently bought one of the P-03 parlors from Jim at Trinity and although I really wasn't concerned about it to begin with I must say that they did a beautiful job with the 3 piece neck.  Only place you can clearly see that it is more than one piece is at the heel.  A closer look at the side of the headstock reveals the other joint where you can see the directions of the grain.

How about posting some close up pic's of the neck of your P-03 showing the actual construction. A pic is worth a 1000 words.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 96   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: