parlors-where are they made?

Started by parlorp09, August 28, 2010, 06:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

where are the parlors made? Canada or the new US facility? I read somewhere that only the high end guitars are made in the U.S. but the label on my new (could be a 2008) P-09 says made in California.
Thanks in advance.

Typically, the 03-series are made in Canada.  Anything higher than that (05-series and above) are made in California.

I have a P-03R with a Made in California label.

When I contacted Larrivee to get information on when it was built, they said March, 2010...in Canada.  I asked if the label was wrong.  They checked again and confirmed it was made in California, but then shipped to Canada for subsequent distribution.

They have recently made a change.  All acoustic guitars are now made in Vancouver and all electrics and mandolins are being made in the US.  Yours is probably one that was started in the US but then was finished in Canada. 

I think it used to be satin range in Canada, gloss range in California - having said that there has recently been some satin versions built in Caifornia such as my 2009 P-03 Special Edition.

My 00-03 made in California.
www.rakeandsplay.com

00-03 Special Edition

The vancouver shop primarily makes -03's, though a few glosy guitars are made there for export (other than the US). California makes any glossy guitar, electric, and mandolins. They have however started makes some -03's there too. The recent P-03's and the OO-03's were made in the USA.

Basically both shops make what ever is needed, when it is needed.

Either way...great guitars.
www.rakeandsplay.com

00-03 Special Edition

anyone know if the satin maple SEs have the same 4.5 deeper lower bout as the gloss?  (the fancy sunburst maple has the standard larrivee 4" lower bout depth as the other parlors, but the blonde maples, at least the gloss ones, spec a tad deeper at 4.5--i've always wanted a satin but only want it if it's the deeper 4.5)??

Parlor depth: I believe the earliest parlors weren't as deep as the newer ones.

and, there are always exceptions to any general rule.

Here's what Matthew Larrivee had to write recently:

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on May 30, 2010, 05:27:23 PM
I do not generally address rumors, however I will drop a quick note here so that nothing escalates:

In tough economic times, all situations become fluid. You have to plan for as many eventualities as possible. Like every guitar maker out there, we downsized greatly about 12 months ago. In our planning, we talked about many options - Including things like closing Oxnard and opening in a state like Washington. One of the hard decisions we had to make was whether or not to attend Jan 2010's namm show - The show costs us between $75,000 and $100,000 to attend. Many of our dealers indicated that they would not be attending the show, so we opted out and instead focused our efforts on the situation at hand and invest the money more wisely.

Times are improving, while it has not returned to previous levels the improvement is palpable. Oxnard is making Acoustics for the American market, all of the Electrics, and the Mandolins as well. Canada is building -03's and Glossy guitars for the international market and Canada.

Furthermore, in California we recently added five new talented staff, and a new customer service rep. In addition we will be attending the Summer Namm show this year and are already planning for the winter show.

If you have concerns of comments, E-mail us at info@larrivee.com and we'll give you a straight answer.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on August 31, 2010, 07:57:15 AM
Parlor depth: I believe the earliest parlors weren't as deep as the newer ones.

and, there are always exceptions to any general rule.

I ran a poll a while back, and everybody reported the same Parlor 3-7/8" depth:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31829.0

However, my O-50 is 4.5" deep, so Larrivee does make some of them that deep.
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob