Pickup change in the RS-4...any info?

Started by Mikeymac, November 18, 2009, 04:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm getting very close to buying an RS-4, and I noticed that now the specs have been changed from Lollar Imperial pickups to "Larrivee" pickups.  Anyone have any info about this?  I understand making the change as a production cost issue; but I'm hoping to still get one (a lefty in Tobacco burst) with the Lollars, since they would be around a $300 upgrade if I wanted to make a change later. 

Anyone know anything about the Larrivee brand pickups - where made; how they sound (anyone played one with these in it?).

Thanks for any more info on this.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Well all I can say IMHO is the RS 4 is the ultimate of electrics. The Lollars run a little hotter  ( more volume than the Larrivee's) with a subtle difference in the tone,  I think.  The DC resistence that I measured I can't recall exact BUT was around 7.6ohms & 8.4ohms  for the Lollars and 7.4 and 7.8 for the Larrivees. The Larrivee humbuckers I understand are made by their namesake.

As with all virtually handmade guitars you are unlikely to produce two of the very same tone wise. Thus a subtle difference with the two different pickups is likely attributle but how much of this is the pickups I don't know. I have played em both and love them both equally.

The craftmanship and wood quality kitted out with the top-of-the-line hardware how can anyone pass up on a  RS 4 that's in the market for an electric.

Personally I am now GASING for the Cherry Burst with the Larrivee P90 pickups!!!!

I am convinced that if these exact guitars said Gibson on the Headstock they would be flying of the shelves for $6000. I don't understand the guitar playing world out there.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 18, 2009, 05:13:49 PM

I am convinced that if these exact guitars said Gibson on the Headstock they would be flying of the shelves for $6000. I don't understand the guitar playing world out there.

It's because Larrivee is not a prestige brand.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

JOYCEfromNS,

Thanks for the brief review - that's helpful. If I end up getting one with the Larrivee pickups, I'm sure it will still sound great. But since they've switched over, I thought that one with Lollars would be a little more rare and unique (and then when I buy #3 - after I buy #2 with P-90s- #3 can have the 'new' Larrivee pups in it!).

Mr_LV19E,

Yeah, there's that 'prestige' thing again...please, let's keep that in the other thread!  Fine by me, because I agree, if it were a Gibby, it would be twice the price.

UPDATE:

Okay, I just got an even more official review (no offense, JOYCEfromNS): I spoke with Matthew Larrivee about the RS-4 and the new pickups.

JOYCE, your output readings on them sound right on according to Matthew; he says they're designed to be low output pickups, modeled after an original '59 PAF that Matthew has.  He said that he builds the pickups himself, and makes most of the parts from scratch, since they're not available anywhere, but all the materials, including the wire, are original PAF specs.  

Matthew himself builds and winds them (okay - did I say that already?!). He shared some of the special things he did with them to get them to be as vintage sounding as possible.  Also, he said the Lollars are very good pickups, he just felt that this guitar needed something closer to vintage spec to bring out all the character of the wood and design. These pickups have been in use/production for around 6-8 months he said.

BEST NEWS OF ALL: There are three lefties with Root Beer finish almost done - just need the neck glued on and final assembly!!! I love the Tobacco Burst finish, but the Root Beer is even more unique.

Just remembered...for you other lefty players out there: Matthew said he is basically making lefty pots for these until he can order a volume order of the quality righty pots he's using (he hopes to order them in volume when the economy gets better); and he said that the volume and tone knobs on the lefties have the numbers going in the right ('left') direction so they actually 'work' correctly!

:nice guitar:

(The Rev) Mikeymac

If you like the Rootbeer finish from the web-site wait till you see it in person!!! One can debate many things BUT nobody puts finish on an Electric better than the Larrivees I saw a couple from the 80's and they too are stunning. ( I think the Larrivees know a thing or two about wood). The Root Beer in person is breathtaking. Great info you obtained on the current build of the PUPS. As I said in prior post you won't be disappointed in either RS4 you are considering.

Please keep us up to date on your progress and review!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Glad you got that info from Matthew - I was going to say that when I got to tour Oxnard plant, he was extremely proud of those pickups, and he would be the one to ask if you had any questions about them at all. If I were shopping for an RS-4, I would make absolutely sure that it had the Larrivee pickups in it -

Tad

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Very cool pics, Tad, thanks for sharing those!  

He was very willing to tell me about the pickups; I think the buttons were popping off his shirt.  I tried a couple times to give him the opportunity to get off the phone (didn't want to waste too much of his time), but he kept thinking of more things he wanted to tell me about their design, materials, the pots, the Rootbeer finish, etc.  

The only bad news is I'll now be waiting another couple or 3-4 more weeks before one of those Rootbeer lefties is ready to ship...but I guess I've already waited a year, what's a couple more weeks?!  Besides, by then it will be a Christmas present to myself.  Can't think of anything better than a shiny new Larrivee for Christmas!!

:nana_guitar