What's the status of Larrivee these days?

Started by mas music, November 18, 2009, 12:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: jwsamuel on November 22, 2009, 03:01:42 PM
It makes sense. When Larrivee opened the US location, the Canadian dollar was very weak against the US dollar. Now, that situation has changed and importing guitars into the US from Canada is no longer as expensive as it once was.

Jim
Actually wouldn't they be more expensive for US buyers if the Cdn dollar is higher than previous???
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: drmar120 on November 23, 2009, 08:22:12 AM
The only reason I can think of for them to stop carrying Larrys is that they weren't selling.

That's what happens when you cut marketing....and that takes us back to the original post in this thread.

Jim

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 23, 2009, 10:06:57 AM
Actually wouldn't they be more expensive for US buyers if the Cdn dollar is higher than previous???

Yes.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 23, 2009, 10:06:57 AM

Yes, you are correct. I wrote the sentence incorrectly. What I recall reading is that at the time Larrivee moved into California, the rising Canadian dollar was making it more expensive to import guitars into the USA. That made it more attractive to manufacture the guitars in the USA.

JIm  

Not selling to Americans? Like I've always said, if even after putting pickguards and uglier headstocks on their guitars, people would rather pay more (in some cases much more) for something that isn't better, if even as good, there's not much Larrivée can do about it. Stay in business and hope time works in favour of quality.

I don't know, they weathered the storm of 911 with startup costs and all. There may be more to their move back to Vancouver than a hic-up in the economy.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Maybe all the higher quality low cost Asian guitars are taking a toll as well.

Hi from a new owner of an L-09 "Sam Ash 40thCoommemorative".
I am thrilled with the guitar, but sad if this post turns out to be true: I want a Oxnard factory tour!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: dependan on November 23, 2009, 12:27:12 PM
  Maybe all the higher quality low cost Asian guitars are taking a toll as well.

Undoubtedly. The cost of Larrivee's 03 series went up just about the same time that a number of high-quality Asian guitars started hitting the market.

Jim

I know their are many ways to promote a product .it may be quite possible they are trying other avenues .i also know one of a manufactures best endorsers are the people who use their products .This site for example is a endorsement of that wonderful product. I dont believe Jean makes all that much on one of his fabulous products- he has to make it on volume and sell them reasonable . I wondered about this when i bought my OMv60 a few years ago when he discontinued that model - but reguardless of what i think of it he had to make an economic decision to keep his company afloat and keep it profitable .i am a pro-woodworker who makes puzzles believe it or not -i do pretty much the same thing when it comes to what i make. if something slows down i dont make it any more . im sure you will see advertising in the spring -the only guitars that basically sell around the winter holidays are low end to medium quality - and Larrivees are not low end by any means .Jeans a smart man hes proved it many times- keep the faith !

Well said Tony BURNS!!!! :+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

We're talking about a retreat from California as though it's a fait accompli. It may be coming, but I still need more than I've got to conclude anything. Of course, any statement from the company, like all news releases, will probably try and turn retreat into an attack. But maybe this is just rumor.
I can't comment on the quality of the American instruments, as all four of the ones I've owned were made in Vancouver. But given their materials, price and design, I'm sure quality isn't the reason for any sales decline. It is likely that being in California added to the cost of operation and might have stretched resources.
The value-premium marketplace is likely to get more crowded, especially now that Martin is emphasizing its $1K guitars. I don't consider Martins or anything else as good as Larrivee in that range, but that Martin badge is persuasive. Of course I'd hate to see either go out of business.

I just finished getting caught up with the posts on this thread while watching a program on CNBC with Warren Buffett and Bill Gates talking to students from the Columbia University Business School. Warren Buffett stated that integrity and discipline are two key fundamentals that will always see a company through a challenging business environment. By sticking with their core values, Larrivee will weather this economic climate.

The irony is that there are 74 posts for the Larrivee Forum IV guitar compared with 90 posts on this thread that started 4 days earlier.

Long live satin finish (especially all hog) guitars.

Quote from: teh on November 23, 2009, 08:45:16 PM
I just finished getting caught up with the posts on this thread while watching a program on CNBC with Warren Buffett and Bill Gates talking to students from the Columbia University Business School. Warren Buffett stated that integrity and discipline are two key fundamentals that will always see a company through a challenging business environment. By sticking with their core values, Larrivee will weather this economic climate.

The irony is that there are 74 posts for the Larrivee Forum IV guitar compared with 90 posts on this thread that started 4 days earlier.

Long live satin finish (especially all hog) guitars.

Yup...

While I would agree that this forum and our positive comments and experiences shared here are a plus for Larrivee, that is only going to be meaningful to musicians who are shopping various brands with an open-mind and are willing take our comments seriously...then use their EARS to decide.

More important to the average musician, I think, is whether or not they see their favorite (or a well-known) artist actually playing a Larrivee onstage or in the studio. Larrivee saw some success in this area a few years ago when people like Pete Anderson and Brad Paisley were seen playing Larrivees.  There are a few others who pop up from time to time, but like Taylor and Martin, Larrivee needs that boost that would come from some big name artists appearing on stage with their instruments.  It's something Taylor and Martin are benefiting from all the time, and for some reason, Larrivee guitars just haven't broken down that wall with enough artists to make a big impact.

Best advertising ever...hands down.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Strange thread. A lot of credence being given to what could easily be a troll comment. I think I'll wait to see what actually happens. As for the problem of no big names playing Larrivées? Personally, I don't give a flying fornication if I (a complete nobody) turn out to be the "biggest" performer using Larrivées. Everyone else's loss but mine. Anyone who doesn't think so just makes me wonder why they bother to hang out here.   :arrow

Quote from: dependan on November 24, 2009, 11:27:12 AM
               We're a strange bunch of folks :wacko: 

Speak for yourself, oh strange one!  :tongue:

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 24, 2009, 12:09:48 PM
Speak for yourself, oh strange one!  :tongue:
I certainly was. "A stranger in a strange land" If you ''groc" me.

Quote from: dependan on November 24, 2009, 12:30:50 PM
  I certainly was. "A stranger in a strange land" If you ''groc" me.

Ah, the royal "we", then.  :cheers