Wood for 12 string gits?

Started by pennerblue, November 17, 2009, 02:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lots of good opinions and discussion here.

An older Guild or Martin (D-35 or D-20 12 string) would be optimal. I love Leo but you have to want to play just like him and be tuned down all the time to get and keep that signature sound. I opted for a special order Larrivee for three reasons:

1) Quality - Second to none, Wood choice, tone and playability must be experienced to be understood
2) Options - Venetian Cutaway and Mahogany top
3) Value - The cost of my Larrivee LV-03 (New) left me with enough cash to apply toward the purchase of my Martin OM-35

It's no accident that the Larrivee series always ends up in the top of the rankings in Acoustic Guitar Magazine and receives accolades from other forum members. You really have to find a way to play one for yourself.

Trinity Guitars has two new Larrivee 12 strings (L-05 and L-03), a used L-03 all mahogany (just like mine w/o a cutaway) and a Taylor and having played all four, I would have no reservations about any of them but you should contact Jim for his opinion and ask about his return policy.

On the used page, he also has a great HD-35 (I can't believe the price on this one) and a Gibson Hummingbird from the 60s. None of these guitars should survive the holiday buying season and if you played either of these, you would forget about a 12 string altogether. Happy hunting.

Penner--

With your shoulder concerns, maybe you should consider the Stella type 12s like Paul Geremia plays.  They are known for a very loud, yet compressed sound, and come in different sizes.  He plays alot of intricate old time blues like Leadbelly, Reverend Gary Davis...

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

TEH-

You're a lucky man to be so close to Trinity.  I'm curious about a hog-top 12er.
Can you attempt to differentiate it from spruce.  I have a hog-top FIII, so I'm not clueless, I'm just not sure about the ADDED DIMENSION of 6 more strings and how that comes into play.

PS:  You're right about the bargains on those Martins (maybe Scott will buy them)
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: pennerblue on November 18, 2009, 10:14:42 PM
PS:  You're right about the bargains on those Martins (maybe Scott will buy them)

Shhhh!  :whistling: There already on to me!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: Zohn on November 18, 2009, 10:52:09 PM
Just another bean added to the mix: (it certainly caught my eye)  :winkin:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Larrivee-12-String-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-Model-J-10-12_W0QQitemZ230400644258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item35a4f2d4a2

That's a beauty but about 200% of my budget...Thanks though.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

As far as jumbo's being a shoulder problem its not the bout size{17"} is the depth of the guitar.In the late 80's Guild had a 4" depth and a 4 3/4" depth.My JF30/12 is the 4" modal and I have no shoulder problem with it.My Guild JF30 and my J05 are the 4 3/4 depth after about 15 minutes I have to put them up as my shoulder will start a revolt causing me to punch myself in the head.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Pennerblue:

I was in North Carolina this week and just got home and remembered how much I hate flying. Normally I drive so I can stop by two or three guitar shops on my way down and back.

In answer to your question, I am not very good at articulating sound difference but I'll give it a shot.

1) For about two years, I played a lot of 12 strings (all with spruce tops) and many of them had a really nice jangle but almost all of them were a little over the top for me on the brightness scale.

2) When I discovered Larrivees (My first Larrivee was a maple parlor) I noticed that there seemed be a higher than average number mahogany topped 6 string Larrivees and I liked the sound on most of the ones I played.

3) I played two or three Larrivee Mahogany 12 strings with Spruce Tops (L body and D body 03 series and L body 05 series) as well as several Taylors (300, 400 and 500 series) but I thought the Larrivees sounded and played better to me. I asked Jim what a hog top 12 string would sound like. This guitar rings and resonates without the twang and has a really balanced tone to my ear. I think the hog top tones down the treble without sacrificing clarity.

I was ready to pull the trigger and then Jim Holler told me he could order me a mahogany topped venetian cutaway in either the 03 or the 05 series. My 50th birthday rolled around, my wife and kids (3 sons, 3 daughter-in-laws) surprised me with a box that was full of $50 bills ($1,400 worth to be exact) acquired from all seven of them collectively saving and rolling their loose change for a year.

I ended up with a LV-03 MT 12 string and Jim installed a bone saddle and L.R. Baggs pickup. I also ended up with an archtop case at no extra charge and the rest is history.

On a side note: I have been listening to Gordon Lightfoot since 1970 and he has always played a Gibson B-45 (Dread) for strumming (We also share the same birth day but I am 17 years younger). I have been listening to Leo Kottke since 1973 he always favored big bodied guitars for both his hard strumming/finger picking.  The L body gives me the perfect alternative to a dread and a jumbo and handles strumming and finger picking including altered tunings.

Leo once said that the difference between a 12 string and a 6 string is like the difference between an organ and a piano. I like that analogy and I like hearing an Organ with all the stops pulled as well as a piano.

Hope this helps.

teh,
   Happy Birthday, mine is also the 17th, older than you, younger than Gordon Lightfoot.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes