Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Larrivée nut widths on L bodies?  (Read 1008 times)
01strat

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2009, 08:26:35 PM »

I'm looking for an acoustic guitar and have been looking at smaller, more comfy body sizes.  So far I've test played the Martin OMC1E, Larrivée LV03E, and L03R.  To me, the L's sound much more balanced with more volume compared to the Martin, which is not surprising given that the L body seems to be almost as large as a dreadnought except for the sloped shoulders.

My question.  The L03R I played (used guitar) had white plastic binding around the body and no model marking on the inside label other than Made in Vancouver.  The nut width, fretboard radius, and neck profile felt a lot different than the LV03E (brand new) I played (neck seemed wider and more like a "Warmoth boatneck" profile).   This particular L03R seemed to have a thinner neck like a Taylor.

Are there any players that can tell me info about Larrivée nut widths and neck profile changes that were made to L body 03 Series guitars over the years?  

Thanks!
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:44:32 PM »

The nut width on nearly all L bodies is 1 3/4 though there are exceptions.   An older L-09 I used to own had a fairly chunky neck compared to other L bodies.    In my experience the OM's seem to have slightly slimmer neck profiles.  AFAIK,  the compound fretboard radius the same across the larrivee model line.
I believe the final shaping of the neck is done or used to be done by hand so there can be slight variations from one guitar to another. 
petevee

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »

Current L-03's have a 1 3/4" nut with a low profile neck much like the Martin low profile design. Some older OM-03's used a narrower 1 11/16" nut bu, I'm almost certain that the L series was always 1 3/4".  I think the profile was always the same but I'm not 100% sure...
Wannabee

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:44:19 AM »

If That L-03R had white binding,it was an older model,possibly before 2004.It could possibly have been a 1-11/16" nut width.
dave42

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:07 AM »

Also to consider is the string spacing at the saddle.

Are all Larrivee's 2 3/16" at the saddle?   

The Larrivee's 2 3/16" saddle spacing and 1 3/4" nut is a real comfy combo, imho.

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
01strat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:36:33 PM »

Thank you to all for all your comments.  Much obliged.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »

When the 03 series was introduced all -03s had 1 11/16 necks as part of the cost savings of that model series.   Figuring out when Larrivee changed to the 1 3/4" neck is kind of hard, but my best guess (stress guess), is when they changed to maple binding.

White binding?  Both of my -03 instruments (and the wife's OM-03) have black body binding with a white purfling stripe, and white neck binding. (like this)

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: