Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Since the Limited Editions Parlors are arriving....  (Read 2453 times)
Fingers

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:12 AM »

I was just wondering, if you had the itch, would you be inclined to add the Rosewood or Mahogany and why?  How do all of you choose since these are small bodied guitars and assume (probably wrong) that the wood makes less of a difference for this size box?  Just trying to get an insight from the great minds here   
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:42:49 AM »

What LE parlors?

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:45:19 AM »

I have tried the parlors in maple, mahogany and rosewood and was very surprized to discover that I liked the tone of rosewood the least.  I don't know if it was that specific rosewood parlor that did't do it for me, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.  

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
bleumax

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:50:59 AM »

I have tried the parlors in maple, mahogany and rosewood and was very surprized to discover that I liked the tone of rosewood the least.  I don't know if it was that specific rosewood parlor that did't do it for me, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.  

DAVE

i agree...i owned a maple, three mahoganies, 1 rosewood, and 1 quilted rosewood. the rosewood parlor was my least favorite of the bunch. mahogany was my favorite. the rosewood lacked definition and the overtones seemed to overwhelm the small box.

Paragon
Gibson
Webber
Fingers

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:13:36 AM »

lyric_girl --

I am speaking of the satin model P-03 and P-03R parlors.  I was going to go and try the mahogany version, but another forum member said the rosewood version was coming out soon (true).  So now I am waiting  for them to arrive to test them side by side.  Unfortunately, I have a hard time hearing the differences in tone woods in smaller guitars  crying  I have a walnut b/s guitar, so that does not help me with these 2 wood choices and since I have never owned a hog or rosewood I am just looking for peoples thoughts on why they like one over the other.  Nothing technical, just informative.

Thanks
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 02:30:28 AM »

When I bought my satin finish parlor, I had a choice of several mahogany and rosewood models, the flamed maple out performed the rest of them but then I was looking for a bright sound with lots of snap and I found it for less than $500.

The nice thing is there are plenty of options to choose from and everyone has different tastes. That's why I see a Maple in the L body size in my future. The L-09 on Trinity's web site is nice but it has too much gingerbread (fretboard inlay) to suit me.

P.S. Right now I am playing my LV-03 MT 12 string watching the Pens/Devils on TV. Hockey, Guitars, Gordon Lightfoot tunes and the Forum, what could be better?

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:48:31 AM »

When I bought my satin finish parlor, I had a choice of several mahogany and rosewood models, the flamed maple out performed the rest of them but then I was looking for a bright sound with lots of snap and I found it for less than $500.

I got one of the early (99) parlors in mahogany.  I tried it against a maple, a rosewood, and another mahogany.  I bought the one I liked the best.  Since then, I've had one P-09 and one PV-09.  I still have the mahogany.   I've had the chance to try various others along the way.  Every maple I've tried has been too...  er...  uh...  crisp.  The rosewoods are better than maple but they don't do for me what mahogany does. 

But...  it's good that they have the choices that they offer...  different tastes and all that.  And, given the chance, I would definitely want to be able to try various woods next to each other and pick the one that sounded best.

Ed

Ed
acoustic6

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 04:00:44 AM »

Just received one of the new P-03 parlors from Jim at Trinity Guitars and I'm nothing short of thrilled with it.  I owned one of the early unbound satin hog parlors a while back and regret selling it.  Could be my imagination but I swear the new one out performs the older model.  Sounds bigger to me somehow.  They also happen to be a smoking deal!

As for other tonewoods on the Larrivee parlor, I've tried both rosewood and maple also (both being 09 models) and neither did for me what the mahogany does.  Just my personal preference but I enjoy the clarity mahogany seems to provide. 

1986 Larrivee L-05
leerichards

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 04:58:07 AM »

It sort of figures that mahog would be better for a very small bodied guitar - it's just my gut feeling and nothing I could prove or begin to defend. But RW does have lots of overtones which might get muddied in the smaller box. It was a Larri P05 that initially drew my attention to Larrivee. I thought I was quite content with my Epi 00 until I tried that little Larri in a shop and she sang with such clarity and balance that I was straight home and onto the web. It took a few months but..... I do love my L03R. BTW do these new P 03s have a three piece neck? I think I've seen a close up of one with a two piece heel. I can't be certain from pics from Jim's site. Is there a splay joint at the peghead also? Rick
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 05:10:38 AM »

I've had two rosewood parlors and didn't care for either after the honeymoon. :-(

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »

BTW do these new P 03s have a three piece neck? I think I've seen a close up of one with a two piece heel. I can't be certain from pics from Jim's site. Is there a splay joint at the peghead also? Rick

From Dave's site

•Satin finish
•Solid Mahogany back and sides (South American)
•All solid wood construction
3 piece South American Mahogany Dovetail Neck
•Italian Spruce Soundboard
•African Ebony Fretboard & Bridge
•Flamed Canadian Maple Body Binding
•Symmetrical X-Bracing
•Dovetail Neck Joint
•Rounded Headstock with Rosewood overlay
•Ping "Mini" Tuners (18:1 Ratio) with Chrome buttons
•Exclusive Beveled Tortis pickguard
•Herringbone Rosette
•Ivoroid Fretboard Binding
•Silver Microdot Fretboard Inlays
•D'addario Medium Gauge Strings
•Tusq nut and saddle
•Larrivee Limited Lifetime Warranty

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 12:38:12 AM »

lyric_girl --

I am speaking of the satin model P-03 and P-03R parlors.  I was going to go and try the mahogany version, but another forum member said the rosewood version was coming out soon (true).  So now I am waiting  for them to arrive to test them side by side.  Unfortunately, I have a hard time hearing the differences in tone woods in smaller guitars  crying  I have a walnut b/s guitar, so that does not help me with these 2 wood choices and since I have never owned a hog or rosewood I am just looking for peoples thoughts on why they like one over the other.  Nothing technical, just informative.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I have a rosewood parlor which is amazing. Then again, to me amazing is not a booming dreadnought.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
leerichards

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »

Thanks, Mr LV. I wonder if this means that all 03 models will be made that way now. Not that it matters, a properly cut and glued joint is as strong and often stronger than the original wood strength. Rick
RickSpreitzer

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 04:30:17 PM »

Don't know a thing about the LE Parlors coming out (probably best that I don't at this point, if you follow me). 

I've owned several Larrivee parlors:
one all satin mahogany
one all satin rosewood (which I have for sale on this forum for $550 with HSC, OSSC, pick up, repaired top seam)
one rosewood "special edition" (same guitar with binding)
one 2009 P-09FM (flamed maple)

I LIKED all of them, for different reasons but really LOVE this maple (which really surprised me) and the rosewoods.  For strictly fingerstyle, the mahogany was great, but it lost articulation (got muddy) on light strumming.  This rosewood I have doesn't seem to suffer in that manner.  It's also LOUDER than all the others. 

I briefly played a Zebra wood and it didn't wow me (but it would have been hard to in the noisy, guitar show environment I was in). 

It's (1) a matter of taste, (2) a matter of what style you're playing and (3) the mystery meat of SPECIAL guitars that just jump out at you from a lot of them.  That's why we MUST continue to feed the addiction!!! (this point is largely ignored or lost on the Mrs!).

If you're interested in the rosewood parlor I have for sale, email me at Rspreitzer@bellsouth.net.  Here's a link to pictures:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=39229086&albumId=2848446

peace,
Rick
www.rickspreitzer.com
Rspreitzer@bellsouth.net

2002 Gibson J-45
2009 Larrivee P-09FM
2007 Godin Multiac Nylon SA
2007 Composite Acoustics GX Performer RT
2006 Tom Yocky Soulful dulcimer

Artist endorsements:
K&K Sound (www.kksound.com)
Godin Guitars (www.godinguitars.com)
Composite Acoustics (www.compositeacoustics.com)
Yocky Dulcimers (www.tomyocky.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: