Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a L03R,which pickup to get?  (Read 641 times)
Frederico

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »

Hello there,

This is my first post and I don't own a Larry yet, so don't flame me

I'm a beginner and using a low-end Epipphone which has laminated spruce top with maple back and side.  I consider it sounds thin and metallic.  The built-in electronics is so-and-so.

I stop by a guitar shop recently and immediately was impressed with Larrivee's with its beautiful tone, i.e. warm, full and woody, just like hearing music in heaven (didn't feel it when playing similar priced Taylor's).

After researching, I have L03R in my eye.  Now, my question....

Should I go for the "E" version with factory installed LR Baggs Element Notch (w/. side-mounted preamp) or get the non-"E" version and install a LB Baggs iMix (dual source) w/. no cut?  The later will cost $150 more the the factory "E" model (including installation by the dealer).

I know Larrivee uses the iMix for their higher end models and wonder if this is worth the extra over the Element Notch?  Any user comments?

Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Big E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:02:30 PM »

hmmm, great question. I`m curious to see the responses.
I also had a very inexpensive guitar as my first git. I learned on it for a year and then bought an LV-03RE-LH.
I`m happy with the pick-up it came with, but what do I know, being so new to it all.
Me and a few friends are playing small gigs and parties now and none of the more experienced band members have said anything negative about my git. I have had lots of compliments. I`ve plugged into a house P.A. and also my own amp. a Fender accoustasonic.

"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »

welcome to the forum Frederico    

If you get the non E you have your choice of many pickups.  If you get the E with the barn door cut in the side and 10 years from now have a problem with the pickup, good luck finding an exact replacement.
Member Scott "rockstar_not" had a problem with his E
Below are links to some useful information

Here's  a pic of Scotts guitar
Link to topic about his guitar

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »

You are doing the right thing by asking lots of questions and here you will get lots of opinions.

When I special ordered my LV-03MT 12 string, I opted to have an L.R. Baggs pickup installed and it is virtually unnoticeable with the volume control inside the soundhole. No regrets.

Personally, I am not drawn to nice guitars with holes cut in the side for the very reason cited by Mr LV19E but many on this forum don't seem to mind  . On the flip side, I try to be careful with my guitars but over the years they still end up with scratches, scuffs, dings and other blemishes (just like me) which is all part of the aging process.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »

I should mention that my E is a B-Band A2.2 and has the controls concealed in the sound hole. It has an UST and a SBT and I experienced problems with the UST, contacted B-Band and they sent a replacement free of charge.

And I too find the controls on the side of a nice guitar unappealing

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Wannabee

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »

I just got an L-03R,but I haven't put a pickup in it yet.When I do,I will most likely install an LR Baggs I Beam active with volume control inside the sound hole. I have an L-03SP with this pickup and it works wonderfully in it. I won't buy a guitar with a barn door cut in the side for controls and I won't buy a guitar with a cutaway.Just my preference.So when I buy a guitar,I buy them without pickups and install my own.Also,I don't want anything between the saddle and the soundboard,that's why I use the I-Beam it attaches inside the guitar under the bridge.I have noticed that a tusq saddle sounds better than a bone saddle for this pickup.The bone saddle sound is too harsh and brittle coming through the pickup.
AtlasHeating

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »

I have always added pickups to my guitars. On my martin I have had a number of pickups over the years.
I too, am reluctant to get a guitar with a barn door in the side. I am not sure I could cut one in.
Think of your guitar as a tool and not as an investment. Use the tool that works well for you.
If the pickup sounds good and the controls are convenient, that is not a bad thing.
I put a soundhole pickup that is removable in my OM-03R. I have used it in other guitars.
Frederico

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:05 AM »

Just want to give you folks my update.  I ordered a L-03R and asked the seller to install LR Baggs iMix No Cut and a bone saddle.  I'll report when I receive it.  Can't go to sleep any more until my first ever Larrivee is home with me

Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: