Gloss top, Satin back and sides

Started by KenHolden, November 14, 2009, 05:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City in St. John's NL has had a "custom" run of Larrivee's in stock now, all with satin finish, but a gloss top.  From what I was told, its the first time that Larrivee has done this.   

Point to add in here before I continue, I'm not affiliated with the store, just a customer, and figured I would pass on the information to the rest of the fans.   

They're all dreads done in rosewood and hog/sapele, have either a herringbone or abalone rosette, and some have the factory installed electronics. No pickguards on any of them either and also no labels on the inside of the guitars. 

I played a few of them today while I was in there, and they all sound great (as 99.999999% of larrivee's do [I don't know who has that 0.000001   :humour: ] )  I wouldn't be able to say if the thicker finish on the top is affecting the tone of the guitar now, or if it would take longer for the top to open up with the gloss finish.

I didn't inquire too much on pricing, because I already have a D-03R, and the D-50.  I did ask about the potential for a run of L models, and they said it could happen, but didn't really know if it would or not. 

Any one else seen these? or am I the only forum member in St. John's?   
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Thanks for the info. on these. Apparently Larrivee has been listening a little to us buyers. First the new P-03 then the 00 and now gloss tops. All these items have been discussed here on wish lists in various threads.
                                                     Coincidence  :donut

Hi Ken, the next time I'm in St. John's I'll be sure to pop in and have a look.  :coffee
No, I'm not from the Rock, I'm just west of you in Alberta.  :wink:
but I do get into St.John's often
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

Ken I am next door in NS but get over to The Rock periodically for employment, I too will check them out. Am looking forward to the opportunity THANKS
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: dependan on November 14, 2009, 07:37:16 PM
Thanks for the info. on these. Apparently Larrivee has been listening a little to us buyers. First the new P-03 then the 00 and now gloss tops. All these items have been discussed here on wish lists in various threads.
                                                     Coincidence  :donut

That is something to consider. Yeah, I've been lamenting about the "swish" on my OM-03R's to for awhile and was thinking maybe it was time "orsinoize" the top. Now if only they'd reconsider the straight-brace only rule. I wonder how much thunder a Larrivée dread or OM would have with scalloped bracing?
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Hey Ken,

I'm from NL as well, saw those Larrivees last time I was in Music City.  But like you, I have a D03R, so I didn't spend much time with them.  I'll give a shout out to the store, however; I've had some good transactions with them.  Nice guys, good prices.

Larrivee guitars that are -03 but with gloss tops have been offered several times in the past by dealers that special ordered them, like Buffalo Bros and Twelfth Fret. They have been called -04s. There have also been all glossed -03s labeled as -04s. So there are two variations of -04s. The ones I've seen/heard-of in the past had the normal -03 rosette.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on November 16, 2009, 03:12:08 PM
Larrivee guitars that are -03 but with gloss tops have been offered several times in the past by dealers that special ordered them, like Buffalo Bros and Twelfth Fret. They have been called -04s. There have also been all glossed -03s labeled as -04s. So there are two variations of -04s. The ones I've seen/heard-of in the past had the normal -03 rosette.
Thanks for that Randy, do you know if they were thinner finished at all ?

Quote from: dependan on November 16, 2009, 07:59:56 PM

Thanks for that Randy, do you know if they were thinner finished at all ?

Dan,

I don't know.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519