Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have any of you sold your Larrivee, only to regret it?  (Read 4713 times)
doctor_gogol

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »

SIGH! I miss my OM-03R

I sold it last January to fund a Gibson Advanced Jumbo.

I LOVE the AJ, but wish I'd kept the Larri too.

I think that I'll ned to buy another one at some point. Larris are amazing!

cc407

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »

I've only had one Larrivée, and I don't plan on parting with it.
Not just because it's perfect for me,
but because of the lessons I learned in the past with trading guitars -
almost always had regret.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »

I sold my SD-60 but I did it in order to finance a BT-60 so I never regretted it although later I acquired a SD-50MT SBT so I guess I wasn't altogether through with the SDs...
I just sold another Larrivee, again to finance another guitar (also a Larrivee). Too soon to tell yet, but I hope that I do not regret it. This one just sold will be a lot harder to replace, and what a sweet guitar.
 nice guitar
acoustic6

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »

Oh yes.  Sold a nice little mahogany parlor a couple years ago only to replace it with another mahogany parlor!  Lesson learned!......for now.    

1986 Larrivee L-05
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

I too have just sold my OM-03R, but Ive replaced it with a Martin OM-21. Time will tell whether I regret it.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
dcarey

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »

Yes!
My OM-03R from Denis. and my original issue satin finish Koa Parlor (very early with no binding).

Stupid stupid stupid! is all I can say.  crying

Dan

"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »

I've sold a few hard-to-find gits with no regrets.    There are so many good guitars out there waiting to take their place.    I love 'em and leave 'em.  bigrin

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob
blindblakefan1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »

I've owned only one Larrivee, an L-01. I'll never sell it because 1) I bought it for a very inexpensive price  2) it's my favorite "everyday" guitar  3) I've learned lessons from selling other guitars that I later regretted. In general I'm trying to pare down my guitar collection to those few that I really "need."

Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special
cc407

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »

Oh yes.  Sold a nice little mahogany parlor a couple years ago only to replace it with another mahogany parlor!  Lesson learned!......for now.    

Thought I was the only one - my repeat was a La Patrie Motif  - a small body classical. Missed the first one so much, I bought another! It ain't going NOWHERE!
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:35:10 PM »

Yup, I've regretted selling a few.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:41:10 PM »

I have not sold any Larrivees and do not plan to.  They are too good!  Resist bouts of gas and just keep your Larrivees.  My JCL continues to amaze me.  I played lots of $5000-10,000 guitars at the Healdsburg Festival in August.  Of course they were very nice, but the JCL is an incredible instrument.  And for dreadnoughts, they don't get much better than my D10.

My son will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands!

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:40 AM »

OM10koa,L09Koa,L09/12Koa,C05,CS09,LS10,CS05,LS05,OM03/12,OM03BW and a Gibson Vintage AJ.

Now those were STUPID,STUPID,STUPID sales...... crying

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 12:24:48 AM »

Not sure what I am missing here BUT I really don't understand how anyone could resell their Larrivee.

OBE I have read many of your posts and all the time seeing you were effectively replacing the Lari with a Martin I was shaking my head especially in that part of the world where the Larri's are so hard to come by. Hope you will be happy with it though I can't see it. Well have  :bgrin:  

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 01:02:27 AM »

Regrets
Back in the early 80's I got two L72s. A Classical and one with a Florentine cutaway.  I'll never forgive myself for letting those go, in the late 80s.  I wasn't playing them at the time and I traded them to get some nice jazz boxes. I got a lot of mileage out of jazz guitars but I sure wish I had been able to hang onto those L72s.

No Regrets
In the mid 90s I had a really nice L10 Cutaway (today I guess that would be a C10).  That one went to a really good musical buddy, and I can play it anytime I want.

DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 01:27:01 AM »

crying
I'm with you on having sold my Lari OM-03RE.  Great guitar and for what I paid about 4 yrs ago, vs what they sell for now new, I REALLY regret selling it.  Should have just packed that bad boy away and pull it out as needed.

I guess some of that selling pressure was the lady of the house yelling about WHY DO YOU NEED ANOTHER GUITAR? 
I think at that time I was posturing for the Lari 000-60 that "had to have".   Oh, how we know those unfortunate words.   So, we pick and choose the appropriate children to be dismissed...a sad time for sure, but until I win the lotto and have a lot more $$$ for guitars,  just have to work within the system and budget...bet you can relate???

crying

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 01:57:13 AM »

I keep thinking about selling my OM-03R due to a shoulder issue, but I believe I'll live to regret it since having the shoulder surgery is still under consideration.  I'd hate to get a rid of a guitar that sounds great, scale down in body size, and then fix the playability issue surgically and be in the market again.  So I just play it less often than otherwise and am biding my time.

Maybe you can fix your regret by buying used again?  Don'tcha think you could get one for what you sold it for?  Sometimes that is psychologically hard to do, though.

ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 02:18:29 AM »

Tom Rush could write a song and call it "No Regrets"... Oh, he already did.

A long time ago I sold a maple Guild that I often think about. Super guitar but I was playing only classical at the time and it was 'surplus'. And had I kept it I might not have found out about Larris (and Collings and Huss and Dalton). If I sold any of my current herd I may have serious regrets so "you gotta know when to hold 'em".

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »

Oh yeah........
I sold a D03r and regreted it ,thought I wanted a Matin instead, I was fortunate enough to get  another
and sell the Martin.
The Martin was glossy and pretty but just wasnt the Larrivee.
Dave
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 08:14:43 AM »

I knew L-10 was going to grave with me the day I bought it.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
robw95

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »

SIGH! I miss my OM-03R

I sold it last January to fund a Gibson Advanced Jumbo.

I LOVE the AJ, but wish I'd kept the Larri too.

I think that I'll ned to buy another one at some point. Larris are amazing!

This thread hits home with me. The first guitar that I bought when I started playing again in 2005 was an OM-03R and the latest guitar that I have been Gassing for is a Gibson AJ so I have been at practically the same ends of the spectrum as you. I have probably had 20 guitars in that time in pursuit of the holy grail and had I just kept that sweet little OM-03R I probably would have been a lot happier and a much better player. If I put the time into practicing/playing that I do in looking for guitars, I'd be on tour with Clapton.

Rob

2002 Taylor Big Baby
2005 Martin D-1
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: