Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get those humidifiers out of the drawer and into your gits!  (Read 7325 times)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 6500




Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2010, 06:34:28 PM »

I was really just throwing out the science of relative humidity. In your case the only thing I can think of with your stove is there must be another moisture source in the house around the same time...IE a shower, dishes, clothes drying etc.  By heating the aire you increase the ability to have mointure in the air molecule. Burning natural gas in a sealed combustion unit like a direct vent gas fireplace shouldn't add humidity. The combustion is done in an airtight environment. A gas kitchen range will add humidity to the home, the flame is open combustion.

Sorry for the contrasting opinion...it is an occupational hazard LOL any way you slice it who really cares, the humidity improves which is a bonus.  bigrin

The confusion in this might be due to the fact that my gas fireplace (designed like a wood burning stove and made of cast iron) is what they refer to as "vent free". You are correct about the "direct vent" which obtains its combustion supply air and exhausts through usually a single two way stove pipe. A "vent free" fireplace or stove is designed to safely burn indoors without exhausting to the outside, it is open combustion as you described it.  My wife and I wanted a fireplace in our home for the warming effect to the room and the ambiance but really had limited wall space and no practical way to vent outdoors so this was our only choice. It also provides us with the added benefit of being able to heat our modest sized house in the event of a power outage caused by a winter ice storm, which we have experienced in the past before we got the stove. That storm had us using our generator to power the necessity's for about 36 hours. The generator burns about 5 gallons of gasoline every 8 hours and at 3 to 4 dollars a gallon it can get expensive real fast.
Logged

Roger


"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 13137




Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:36 PM »

I was really just throwing out the science of relative humidity. In your case the only thing I can think of with your stove is there must be another moisture source in the house around the same time...IE a shower, dishes, clothes drying etc.  By heating the aire you increase the ability to have mointure in the air molecule. Burning natural gas in a sealed combustion unit like a direct vent gas fireplace shouldn't add humidity. The combustion is done in an airtight environment. A gas kitchen range will add humidity to the home, the flame is open combustion.

Sorry for the contrasting opinion...it is an occupational hazard LOL any way you slice it who really cares, the humidity improves which is a bonus.  bigrin
His heaters are not vented. Thus the byproducts of the combustion do remain in the heated space. Which includes moisture.
Logged

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Agasco
Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 35




Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 01:45:30 PM »

His heaters are not vented. Thus the byproducts of the combustion do remain in the heated space. Which includes moisture.
You are correct, this was my confusion....vent free are not even approved for use in Nova Scotia. This absolutely would add moisture to the room. Do you not have to have some sort of combustion air for the vent free?
Logged
Danny
Donuts?
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 13137




Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »

You are correct, this was my confusion....vent free are not even approved for use in Nova Scotia. This absolutely would add moisture to the room. Do you not have to have some sort of combustion air for the vent free?
  Yes, but most homes that are older have enough infiltration that it makes up for the oxygen consumption. These would not work long in a tightly sealed home without making people ill or just tired all the time.
Logged

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 6500




Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »

The main part of my home was built in 1940 and at that time you had to go outside to do your business. Since then there have been two additions, the first adding two small bedrooms and a very small bath to the back of the house, later a third bedroom off the dining room. There is some insulation in the Attic but the walls have got nothing.  The walls start out with what looks like 1" of something that looks like fiber board with a black coating then wood lap siding and then cedar shake siding.  I would have taken care of this issue before I retired but at the time they were going to buy out the whole area for commercial which at that time was going for $15 to $18 a square foot. Then the market dropped out.
I would have to remove the siding just to be able to blow in insulation and then reside the house, then with my luck they would come through and want to buy me out. I would do all the labor myself but it would still be a big expense, plus my roof is going to need some repair soon.  We really only live in the house between Nov and April, then we go back up north to our trailer. If things don't turn around within a couple years here in MI I will have to bight the bullet and make the changes but for now the extra utility expense is way less than the repairs.
And so, long story short, I've got all the combustion air I need. 
Logged

Roger


"Live simply so that others may simply live"
JOYCEfromNS
Admin
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 6270



« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »

Pulled the trigger on an All-House Humidifier - what a difference and a whole less work - no more watering cases, get to leave the gits on their stands for much easier access ( man I am getting lazy).

The system attaches directly to Heating System ( geo-thermal heat pump) required a "low temperature" type Wasn't cheap though.

Can now put the case humidifiers back in the drawer and whip em out only for travel.
Logged

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to: