Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get those humidifiers out of the drawer and into your gits!  (Read 7313 times)
vates

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »

Thank  you for the hint! 

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 12:57:33 AM »

Thanks!
There's no Wal-marts around but I'm sure such readers can be found in similar local stores.

No Walmarts!  Ahhhh,  the good old days........

Indoor humidity 48%,  no need to add any moisture but keeping an eye on it!
KenHolden

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »

In the past 5 years, I have never once been worried about the low side of humidity.  Living on the outskirts of St John's (one of the foggiest places in the world) the range in my house goes in the dead of winter at 45 to the spring at fall at around 60-65.     On the high side days, I keep playing around with a combination of ceiling fan, electric heat, and some open windows to get the air flowing.     Sometimes its not just the outside air conditions, there is a lot of influence from the construction of your home/office, and what happens in there.

I do own some humidifiers, but they don't get used.   I have been considering the planet waves humipak to keep the guitars at the constant 45%. but im a little weary of them so far.  They've already been recalled once that i know of for leaking, and have since been released into the market, with fresh "new and improved" stickers on the boxes.  Any one else used these?

I've also been trying to find an affordable unit that will act as a humidifier, and a dehumidifier. I've seen some commercial stuff, but its out of the price range for me.

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »

I am intrigued by the Humidipak, too.  But high humidity is almost never an issue where I live. I do like that it seems to keep the RH very stable - and it's a 'set it and forget it' operation. OTOH, EACH replacement pack costs $7 and it takes 3 at a time, and you change them out several times a year. That adds up to a lot of dollars per year when you have several instruments.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 06:52:31 PM »

Friday. Time to "water the guitars" again.  Weekly ritual..

I really don't know what the relative humidity is here, since hygrometers can not reliably measure below 10%.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:26 AM »

I have my Martin and Larrivee cased up with humidifiers. I haven't got the whole house one running yet. I'll be playing my old classical for a few days I guess.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
jbrummer

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »

Just bought a planet waves humidifier and have a DUMB question in regards to its use.  Do I have to use it with my guitar in a prone position, flat in the case?  I figure I do, in order to minimize any chance of leaking.  Or is it possible to use the humidifier and store the guitar in an upright position?  I don't have much room to work with and am trying to save space.   

". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »

Just bought a planet waves humidifier and have a DUMB question in regards to its use.  Do I have to use it with my guitar in a prone position, flat in the case?  I figure I do, in order to minimize any chance of leaking.  Or is it possible to use the humidifier and store the guitar in an upright position?  I don't have much room to work with and am trying to save space.

Hi jbrummer, I assume you mean the sound hole type. The newer one with the pop-off top and removable sponge should be fine to use with the git upright, (case closed!) though with 2 cautions.

1. Be sure the sponge cannot drip by wringing it out to just 'damp' - and wipe off all the surfaces on the humidifier to be sure there is no extraneous water.

2. I would check to see if when vertical the is enough tension to keep the humidifier in place. It may be OK to let it rest against the sound hole, but I would eyeball it and make a judgment call. No guarantees there.

You could just put it in the head section or string box, but I think humidifying there takes longer. I would wrap it loosely in a t-shirt or polishing cloth to keep it from banging around when the case is moved if you go that way.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 12:16:45 AM »

I would wrap it loosely in a t-shirt or polishing cloth to keep it from banging around when the case is moved if you go that way.

I have found that an old sock (cut in half) works perfectly for this application.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 12:20:45 AM »

I have found that an old sock (cut in half) works perfectly for this application.
I wrap mine in one papertowel and then add another wrapped the other way.  Been doing that a long time and no problems yet. It seems to readily wick out any excess moisture evenly.
       Btw  I tried to get my 30 year old 10 gallon whole hose unit working today and only got it working a little bit. I have to find some material to make a new absorption sheet. It's 17 '' X 42'' but I think I can make one from filter media made from ployester in the roll form. Anyway, it's worth it cause this unit has automatic controls and will keep the entire home any humidity I dial into it. As well as help purify the air. Just needs to be properly maintained.

jbrummer

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 12:24:02 AM »

Thanks for the responses . . . it is the sound-hole variety and does seem to fit snugly in the strings without sliding.  I'll check the sponge to be sure there's no excess moisture and then try it with the guitar upright.  Lying down there's no place for me to keep it safe from my 4 and 6 year olds!  Believe me, they pose more of a threat than the low humidity blush

". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 04:13:15 AM »

I finally got my whole house humidifier working. Big deal you say? Yup, big deal. I like my guitars on stands or the walls to be played. But with the cold air sagging down out of Canada (thanks a bunch neighbors  ) We have the heat pumps running 24/7 now. Good for my lil business but bad for air in the home. SO after three attemps to make an absorption belt for my 30 year old humidifier the third attempt was perfect.
                   I actually used the glue I bought to put bindings on guitars to join the polyester material and it works fantastic. After I installed it this afternoon and started the humidifier the RH went up from less than 30% to 47% right now. So I have the cases open and soon they will be back on the walls to be pulled down and enjoyed.

Plus my skin feels better and I can breath better. (I think I bond too closely with my guitars blush)

jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 03:22:50 PM »

But with the cold air sagging down out of Canada (thanks a bunch neighbors  )

Now hold on there just a minute, neighbour.

We've been blaming this recent round of cold weather on those folks up north there in Alaska.  How could they do this to us???

WPete

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »

Been subzero nights here in Minn. so the guitar is in it's case and I've been using the Target soap-travel container (several holes drilled in the top) with a damp sponge in it, in the case. Have a digital temp/humidity meter from Menards and it's been staying at 45-50 % RH in the case with this setup. At about 10f outside it got too hard to keep the house above 40% w/o lots of condensation on even good windows. Probably be May before I can leave it out on the stand. 

L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 07:35:09 PM »

I had to fire up Unit 2 this morning to maintain. According to the manufacturer's literature, each one should be able to handle my condo [1250 sq ft] by themselves, but not when the temperature plummets here in Michigan and stays there for days on end.
Too much for just one unit, but when the second one is activated, neither one works very hard.
Back to 47%RH again.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »

Most of the year I have to use a dehumidifier here in Georgia, but the humidiity in my downstairs guitar room dipped below 40%  with the sub teen F temps here and I've had to humidify. I have a small kitchenette stove in the room, so a big lobster pot filled with water on low heat holds the humidity at 42-43% for me.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »

By the way, my neighbor left his humidifier running on high last year for several days. Got the black mold on and in the walls. Had to have it professionally removed. They had to cut out the dry wall. Took about two weeks and cost thousands.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:02 PM »

By the way, my neighbor left his humidifier running on high last year for several days. Got the black mold on and in the walls. Had to have it professionally removed. They had to cut out the dry wall. Took about two weeks and cost thousands.
  I had to deal with that in our newly remodeled master bathroom. I hate mold.

But I'm running my large console humidifier most of the time now. We are at 45% in the house right now. But an "Artic Blast" is coming into Texas tonight so the heat will suck up a lot of the moisture the next 3 or 4 days. I may have to case some up.

247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 02:04:09 AM »

Makes me glad I live in the moderate San Francisco Bay Area.  I have never had to worry about humidity in 35 yrs of owning guitars.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:26 AM »

Makes me glad I live in the moderate San Francisco Bay Area.  I have never had to worry about humidity in 35 yrs of owning guitars.

Nope just earthquakes   

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: