Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: keyboard amp vrs acoustic amp  (Read 3248 times)
rising1000

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »

was looking at the Kustom 35 acoustic amp and kustom 35 keyboard amp

the big difference i see is the acoustic amp has he notch filter
how important is this .
I keep reading and the forum say the keyboard amp is clean and just as good as acoustic amp

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail...ID =131&Tab=3

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail...tID =85&Tab=2

someone has one of each hoping to buy used
thks
if someone has one selling cheap in toronto, canada send me a message

norman b 30
larrivee 09 rosewood
larrivee o3 m
ca cargo raw
kustom 35 keyboard amp
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »

I used a fender keyboard amp 10 or 15 years ago and it did well. used it in conjunction with p.a. . There have been a lot of acoustic designed amps since then but the front end of amp, or seperate
preamp seems to be the main key. If there's not a good match there, the rest of design of amp is meaningless. So yea keep an open mind, go to a shop and check them all out.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:29 AM »

A 'Keyboard' amp is really designed to be a flat-response amp and speaker - exactly what you would want for an Acoustic Guitar amplifier, input concerns notwithstanding.

If your acoustic guitar pre-amp has some kind of line-level output, you will be very happy with a keyboard amp.

Also, keyboard amps in my experience usually have less effects section capability built into them - which is fine with me - less mess for the signal and less to go wrong in the signal chain.  My opinion is that amplifiers labeled as 'acoustic guitar' amplifiers are usually overpriced keyboard amplifiers with brown tolex and brown tweed speaker covers, with so-so effects sections added in.

Exceptions do exist - Ultrasound acoustic guitar amps come to mind.   If you intend to sing on gigs, then make sure either the keyboard amp or the acoustic guitar amp has an XLR input, some kind of mic pre-amp and volume/tone controls for that mic channel.  In essence, it's a 2 channel combo PA system.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »

I remember reading once that John McEiuen of the NGDB used a Peavey keyboard amp to amplify his amplified acoustic instruments (banjo, fiddle, guitar) and highly recommended it. That was mnay years ago, tho'.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:27:50 AM »

I have a couple of KB 30 Peavey amps which are essentially a keyboard amp. I use them all the time.  They are very reasonably priced and have a dedicated mic input, a dedicated guitar and keyboard input and two general inputs as well as a line out.  I have compared them to the Fishman acoustic guitar amps and to be frank I like them better and they are way more versatile with better and more inputs.  We even use them at times for a light bass amp ... very versatile.  Look em up, either a KB 30 or KB 50.  Check them out at harmony central  http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Peavey/KB/A+30/10/1
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »

In general keyboard amps are more versatile than acoustic guitar amps because they are designed to have a broader frequency response.  For years I used a Roland KC-500 for everything I did.  Whether playing acoustically or electrically I run my guitars through a Line 6 Pod X3 Live (the latest in a long line of floor processors) and so I want a clean full-range amp to reproduce whatever the Pod is putting out.  I also play keyboards on occasion and most acoustic guitar amps whimper when they see a full sized keyboard at their inputs.

A few years ago I sold the Roland and got the Bose L1 with 2 subs, but I'm operating on the same principle - namely, keep my amp clean and full range, so that it can handle whatever I have in the upstream signal chain.

Having said all thet, I do love my Fishman SoloAmp.  There are some gigs where I leave the Line 6 at home and just take my guitar, a mic and the Fishman and go.  The whole set goes from the truck to the stage in one trip, hooks up in 5 minutes and sounds fantastic.

Aaahhhh, choices.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: