Obe-wans new Martin OM-21 !!

Started by obe-wan, November 11, 2009, 01:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forgot to mention, I love your daughter's curls. That would be a great photo to hang on the wall.

My son has a a Delphi Single cone and he wants a Triolian. I played a nice Estralita about three months ago but have to keep the gas on hold.

P.S. Here's a great song to play on your OM-21. (Don't think twice, it's alright by Bob Dylan). I capo up to the fourth fret.

C   G   Am
   It ain't no use to    sit and wonder    why, babe
   F   C   G
   It don't matter any   how     
   C   G   Am
   And it ain't no use to    sit and wonder    why, babe
   D7   G   G7
   If you don't know by    now.    
   C   C7
   When the rooster crows at the    break of dawn
   F   D7
   Look out your window and    I'll be gone
   C   G   Am   F
   You're the    reason I'm    travellin'    on
   C   G   C   G
   Don't think    twice, it's a   lright.     

It ain't no use in turnin' on you light, babe
A light I never knowed
It ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
I'm on the dark side of the road
Still I wish there were something you would do or say
To try and make me change my mind and stay
We never did too much talkin' anyway
So don't think twice, it's alright.

I'm walkin' down that long lonesome road, babe
Where I'm bound, I can't tell
Goodbye is too good a word, gal
So I'll just say, fare thee well.
I'm not sayin' you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don't mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don't think twice, it's alright.

It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
Like you never done before
It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
I can't hear you anymore
I'm a-thinkin' and a-wonderin' all the way down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I am told
I'd give her my heart but she wanted my soul
But don't think twice, it's alright.

Beautiful, Scotty. :thumb :thumb I'll bet it feels good to get the fingertips back onto six strings, eh? As others have said, can't wait to hear (or read) a detailed sound & tone report from you. What were your immediate impressions soundwise compared with your memory of your ex (Larri) when you first played it this time? Rick

Quote from: leerichards on November 11, 2009, 08:58:57 PM
What were your immediate impressions soundwise compared with your memory of your ex (Larri) when you first played it this time? Rick

Gday Rick,

Its still early days, but the Larrivee was louder, the Martin has a warmer bass and strums better, the Larrivee was slightly more articulate, (that "balanced" and "note separation" thing we all keep raving about), the Martin is what I would describe as richer and woodier in sound. More harmonic overtones too, which could be the scalloped bracing coming into play. The Larrivee had a bit more punch, but that could be the difference between the Satin finish, and the fact that the Larrivee was 3 years old, and the Martin is...a day old. (to me).

The Martin has had about 1-1/2 hours playing time, and I can already hear a difference in the sound. Not so tight anymore, it seems to be ringing on a bit better.

Man, it hard to describe tone isnt it? At least I didnt use words like "syrupy" and "liquid".  :?

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on November 11, 2009, 04:06:33 PM
Gday all, thanks for the comments.

...and my little 20 month old girl has music in her bones, if theres music going, shes dancing!

So, Im looking forward to the weekend when i can spend some quality time getting to know her, Im really looking forward to her opening up (sorry Jeremy!) and showing her real character.

So WHO are you spending time with this weekend, the daughter or the guitar? :winkin:

I hope you have many years of joy with that git, Scott.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on November 12, 2009, 12:20:35 AM
So WHO are you spending time with this weekend, the daughter or the guitar? :winkin:

I hope you have many years of joy with that git, Scott.

I wondered who was going to pick up on that! The answer is both of course. And my daughter will get preference, as always.  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Beautiful guitar Scott, only one eh. Does that make you Matinogamous?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Congratulations Scott! Just beautiful!  I hope you love it as much as I love my little 00-28 VS!  :cheers
Sherry
Martin 00-28VS Custom "Rosaleen"
Larrivee' P-03MT "Petunia"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 12, 2009, 11:22:34 AM
Beautiful guitar Scott, only one eh. Does that make you Matinogamous?

Gday LV, yep. 1 guitar.
Ive been that way for a couple of years now. Who was it that had 7 identical suits? It apparently took the trouble out of deciding what suit to wear.  :wacko:

Quote from: feathersprings on November 12, 2009, 11:51:46 AM
Congratulations Scott! Just beautiful!  I hope you love it as much as I love my little 00-28 VS!  :cheers

Hey Sherry, Im so jealous of your little 00-28VS ! Id love to own one. Have you posted pics? Im very partial to the 00-18V too. It'd be nice to have several great guitars, but then Id have to decide which one to play, and I can be very indecisive sometimes.  :wacko:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on November 12, 2009, 03:49:35 PM
Gday LV, yep. 1 guitar.
Ive been that way for a couple of years now. Who was it that had 7 identical suits? It apparently took the trouble out of deciding what suit to wear.  :wacko:

Ben Matlock
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: obe-wan on November 12, 2009, 03:49:35 PM

Hey Sherry, Im so jealous of your little 00-28VS ! Id love to own one. Have you posted pics? Im very partial to the 00-18V too. It'd be nice to have several great guitars, but then Id have to decide which one to play, and I can be very indecisive sometimes.  :wacko:

Cheers, Scott.

Not on this forum LOL! Here are a couple pictures of mine and one of my husbands 00-18VS UMGF Custom

00-28VS

00-18VS
Sherry
Martin 00-28VS Custom "Rosaleen"
Larrivee' P-03MT "Petunia"

Scott, glad to hear you are digging the new OM-21. Is that a pajama top you are wearing in the new photo?  :nanadance
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Quote from: blindblakefan1 on November 13, 2009, 10:23:59 AM
Is that a pajama top you are wearing in the new photo?  :nanadance

:roll :roll :roll

Its one of those shirts my wife says "you should wear the white one with the pattern" before we go out....Ive never been much of a fashionista.  :wacko:

That pics outta here!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Forgot to mention, re- the Larrivee  to Martin comparison, the Martin is lighter. Much lighter.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: feathersprings on November 12, 2009, 09:54:36 PM
Not on this forum LOL! Here are a couple pictures of mine and one of my husbands 00-18VS UMGF Custom

Sherry, now you're just showing off! A -28 and an -18 !!! -18s are actually my favorite series Martins. That little 00-18VS is gorgeous!

You're giving me more Martin G.A.S. You'll get me kick off here if you're not careful !!! :roll

Thanks for sharing.  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on November 13, 2009, 03:08:49 PM
Forgot to mention, re- the Larrivee  to Martin comparison, the Martin is lighter. Much lighter. 

Hey Scott, do you have a digital bathroom scale? Can you jump on it with and without the guitar to determine the weight?

Just curious as to how much lighter "much lighter" really is!
Penner

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on November 16, 2009, 01:37:45 AM
Hey Scott, do you have a digital bathroom scale? Can you jump on it with and without the guitar to determine the weight?

Penner
I have digital scales for weighing refrigerant. I can weigh the OM-21 and the F-III and see if there is a difference. Of course obe-wan's Larrivee was a bit larger than a F-III.

Quote from: pennerblue on November 16, 2009, 01:37:45 AM

Penner

Gday Penner, just did the bathroom scale thing, it weighs 2.1 kilograms or 4.6 pounds. Does that sound right? I dont know how accurate that method is, it'd be nice to put it on some butchers scales or something. I unfortunately dont know what the larrivee weighed, anyone care to weigh there OM-03R? Tuffy?

I suppose an update is in order too. Im very impressed to say the least, the little Martin is a sweet sounding guitar. Im happy to say I think Ive made a good decision, its definately a worthy replacement for the Larrivee, and then some! :wink:
Im not trying to bash the -03 series Larrivee, I am still a big fan, but the Martin OM-21 is kinda in a different league than the OM-03R. It should be too, it costs around twice as much!
A good comparison might be an OM-60. That'd be a great shoot-out!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Scott-

Here's mine:
Guild dread: 5.4 lbs
L03R: 4.6 lbs
D03 Silver oak: 4.4 lbs

Taken from my wildly unpopular "How much does your guitar weigh?" post earlier in the year (this was perhaps a STELLAR version of your "thread-ender" question...I ended it by posting it!!)

Anyway, I haven't weighed my FIII and the kid's asleep so I don't want to risk it right now...

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on November 18, 2009, 01:37:50 AM
Scott-

Here's mine:
Guild dread: 5.4 lbs
L03R: 4.6 lbs
D03 Silver oak: 4.4 lbs

Hmmmm, makes me wonder how accurate my scales are. Id Imagine my Larrivee should weigh similar, perhaps a little lighter than you L03R, so I would expect the Martin to be less than that. It honestly feels like its about 3/4 the weight of The Larrivee. I might be wrong. It could be a balance thing or something. I'll get back to this post once Ive found something I can weigh it by itself on.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.