Obe-wans new Martin OM-21 !!

Started by obe-wan, November 11, 2009, 01:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Very high gloss! My little girl in the image! hehehe..shes so cute!

And I still havent really had time to play it. Tonight.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

:nice guitar:

traitor

:humour:

Hope it sounds/plays as good as it looks Scott
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

:thumb

Nice one Scott, looks great !  (but I think you need a few more mic stands :-)

Cheers,
Greg
"I started out with nothin, and I still got most of it left"

Larrivee L0-3R
Yamaha beater
Aria 12 String
Fender Strat
Fender Tele
Jaydee GA24 Bass
Status Series II Bass

Quote from: DreamyGuitar on November 11, 2009, 04:04:07 AM
but I think you need a few more mic stands :-)

Cheers,
Greg

:roll

Do you remember when I asked you about microphones? Ive kinda run with it.... :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

I like the graphic on the back! Cute kid.
The OM21 is a thing of simple beauty - enjoy.

Hey Scot!!!
:+1: Great guit bro, I am soooooo glad for you  :nanadance  :nana_guitar - congratulations!!!  :nice guitar:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Congrats on a beautiful guitar, Scott.  I can't wait to hear what you think about the tone and playability.

Aside from the "graphic" on the back,  that's a lovely wood set on the back panels.  Great figuring.  Is that a rosewood heel cap?

jb

Scott, beautiful axe!!! It looks well worth the wait.  :thumb   Cute kid too. More details, please.

I also admire your boldness in deciding to "go it alone" with just one guitar. I've heard a theory that a person should own only one guitar at a time, in order to be able to focus better and get to really know the instrument. (OK, let's say two guitars at a time: one acoustic and one electric.) I sometimes feel I am being "redundant" or selfish in owning more than one guitar. It also scatters my energy, because I can't always decide which one to play. I think in an ideal world we would only own one instrument at a time and would find it extremely fulfilling to bond just with that. I wish you all the best with your great OM-21.

More mic stands, please. And more cowbell.  :nanadance
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Wow !   That OM-21 appears to be well worth the wait.    Beautiful figured rosewood back is stunning.
I'm sure you will be very pleased with this guitar.    congratulations !

It looks very nice Scott. I know you already like the tone from the scalloped X-bracing, but it may take a bit to get used to the low profile neck. Does it feel a bit wider than a Larrivee 03 neck? Mine does just a little and actually measures out to be a bit wider. (which I like)

:nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar:

Very sweet man....that is a good looking axe...as someone above said...understated elegance!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Nice!    And it's good to see that your toddler is already taking an interest in guitars.    :smile:
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Looks good Scott. The ones I've seen and played were all excellant guitars.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

What a looker.Love that Marilyn Monroe body shape.Now we all want to know what the little sweety sounds like.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Gday all, thanks for the comments.

I had a really busy day yesterday and only managed about 10 sleepy minutes with it before I hit the hay last night. Initial indications are that it a really sweet sounding little guitar. And I mean little! Theres a fair bit of difference physically (maybe not so much by the tape measure) between the Larrivee OM to the Martin OM. Its noticably narrower, and sits lower on my leg. Theres lots of Rosewood overtones going on there, although being brand new it obviously still sounds a little tight. I'll give it a few months to settle in and make a decision re a bone saddle, or keep it stock. I kept the TUSQ in the Larrivee. It'll be going down to my local tech in a week or 2 to have the L.R. Baggs Element Ive got sitting here fitted, then it'll gig ready  :thumbsup

The guitar has come set up by the shop I purchased it from, its actually a little low for what I like, but to there credit theres no buzzing. Came fitted with D'Addario EJ-16s as per my request, but again once she has settled in I'll be experimenting with some other strings.

And as has been mention the Wood is very nice! It actually nicer than I remember.

Danny, the neck does feel flatter and slightly wider than a Larrivee, contrary to a comment I made in a recent post. Its not a major difference and Ive had no trouble adapting.

Thanks for the complements on my little angel, all of my kids are showing interest in music. The 12 y.o. son is playing drums (Thrash/Death Metal!  :yak:) my 4 y.o. son has a small Ukulele that he pulls out everytime he sees me with a guitar, and my little 20 month old girl has music in her bones, if theres music going, shes dancing!

So, Im looking forward to the weekend when i can spend some quality time getting to know her, Im really looking forward to her opening up (sorry Jeremy!) and showing her real character.

Quote from: blindblakefan1 on November 11, 2009, 10:09:08 AM

I also admire your boldness in deciding to "go it alone" with just one guitar. I've heard a theory that a person should own only one guitar at a time, in order to be able to focus better and get to really know the instrument.I think in an ideal world we would only own one instrument at a time and would find it extremely fulfilling to bond just with that. I wish you all the best with your great OM-21.

Very true. I really bonded with the Larrivee OM-03R, it ended up feeling like a part of my body, because that was the only guitar I played for a year and a half. I still really miss it. Hopefully the Martin fills the hole just nicely. I'll probably still have just one 6 string acoustic, next on my hit list is likely to be a 12er (Yes a Larrivee)  :wink: or a National.

Although these new P-03s look nice... :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: BenF on November 11, 2009, 01:56:54 AM
:nice guitar:

traitor

:humour:

Hope it sounds/plays as good as it looks Scott

Thanks Ben, shes a good un'.

Traitor hey? Whos G.A.S.-in for a Guild then?  I'll excuse you 'cos it all Hog.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Congrats on a great looking guitar!  :cheers   Martin is still right at the top after almost 2 centuries, enjoy the guitar and history that comes with it.  My D-18 is my go to guitar these days and even though I've been tempted to trade it in the past, this is more guitar that I will ever need.

Remember to tickle her strings daily  :guitar

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Without a doubt, one of the best bangs for the buck in the Martin Line up. The balanced tone and volume that comes out of this body size is pretty amazing and I love the low profile neck. Don't forget to try out some open tunings with it too. I am partial to light gauge strings for finger style but what ever you use will probably sound great.

P.S. We must be kindred spirits because I too have a Martin OM and a Larrivee 12 string and I manage to grab my son's National whenever I get the chance.

This one is on my wish-list, where it will stay for a good long time.  Congratulations.  I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on tonal comparisons as you get through the break-in period.

Quote from: teh on November 11, 2009, 07:26:07 PM
Without a doubt, one of the best bangs for the buck in the Martin Line up. The balanced tone and volume that comes out of this body size is pretty amazing and I love the low profile neck. Don't forget to try out some open tunings with it too. I am partial to light gauge strings for finger style but what ever you use will probably sound great.

P.S. We must be kindred spirits because I too have a Martin OM and a Larrivee 12 string and I manage to grab my son's National whenever I get the chance.

Hey Teh,

Yeah shes shaping up to be a really sweety. Ive had another 1/2 an hour on it today and its feeling more familiar already. I'll be sticking with lights, Ive always liked the tension and tone of them.

What National has your son got? I used to own a National Delphi Vintage Steel.

These new Triolians look nice though.

Quote from: jimmy buffett on November 11, 2009, 09:27:31 AM
Is that a rosewood heel cap?
jb

Yes mate, and its got the same figured grain as the back panels. Nice touch.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.