Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee and fret problems  (Read 20139 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »

Just whack it a good one.  Don't worry,  Be happy      bigrin
  Done that and cracked some finish on a D-09 and splintered wood on the peg head.
 Jim Holler suggested the way he does it. And I have had better success with that method. But I still hold my breath when I tap it out of the slot.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »

Done that and cracked some finish on a D-09 and splintered wood on the peg head.
 Jim Holler suggested the way he does it. And I have had better success with that method. But I still hold my breath when I tap it out of the slot.

Danny, check that new Erlewine repair guide you just bought. I believe that is the book where he describes a method for collapsing the nut in on itself to avoid chipping splintering. It looked pretty easy to do and like it would work alright. Speaking of books, have ya finished with mine yet?
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

Here's what my frets and nut look like, I have no problems.

LV-19  Not cut off at as sharp of an angle but smooth polished edges

OM-03  A little more angle but still no problem

LS-03  Angled more like the 19 but not finished as nice

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »

Danny, check that new Erlewine repair guide you just bought. I believe that is the book where he describes a method for collapsing the nut in on itself to avoid chipping splintering. It looked pretty easy to do and like it would work alright. Speaking of books, have ya finished with mine yet?
 I do remember you sharing that collapsing method and I have read it tin the book also.
                I have not finished the book you lent me yet. If you want I'll mail it back though. Just let me know.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »

If you score the area were the nut hits the headstock with a razor blade the lightly tap the nut on the finger board side it will come right off with no problem.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »

Here's what my frets and nut look like, I have no problems.

Great pics. Work all nicely done. The LV-19 is exactly the way I would want it.

L-03 Italian Spruce
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 09:32:04 PM »

Nonesense. Larrivee doesn't make mistakes..................... There we go, now we can skip the next twelve pages of bickering. In all seriousness though, if its used, you really don't know how it "left" the factory. It could be original frets that somebody tried to fix after some humidity issues.

It's my guitar. because I am a total novice and wouldn't even know what to look for, I had no idea myself. The ONLY work I had done was having the PG put on and the saddle in. They did NOTHING else. So yes, it did come that way from the factory and it just breaks my heart.

It makes me wonder how many newbies out there have issues they aren't smart enough to know about. The only reason I know is because I came across this thread.

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »

I can't tell you how upsetting this is. I can't quite beleive how upset I am. I hated selling that guitar, HATED it.  I hate that I sold it to someone who trusted me and it's full of issues. I hate that this -CENSORED- economy made me do this in the first place and I hate even more that it left the factory like that. I can't refund  Hadden, I can't do a damn thing.

But, if I'm ever in a position to buy another Larrivee again it will make me think twice. At some point the 'bang for you buck' just doesn't wash anymore.  What am I supposed to do now? Why wouldn't a DEALER spot these issues FFS? I mean is anyone responsible anywhere along the line or is it just 'Good luck with that?' If I can ever buy again do I have to take someone like Hadden with me?

If it's obvious to a player it should be OBVIOUS to a dealer, he's the one I trust to be the more knowledgeable.  If this is Larrivee's work on a limited edition run, of all things, something that is supposed to be a little more special, I'm really quite terribly disappointed.

And what about Will and what about Dale and what about the other FOUR guitars I had to sell. Do they have issues I don't know about? I know it's a you takes your chances market, but this is important to me. I TRUST Larrivee to not make me look like a rip off artist.                                                                                                                              
That guitar was special to me, and the only positive thing in any of it is that I thought I was passing something special on. I know that sounds hackneyed and stupid, but I'm sitting here with the flu, everything still sucks and *poof* there goes another positive.

Ins't this just the cherry on the -CENSORED- cake?

"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »

If you didn't realize about frets, then you are being too hard on yourself.
Your touch is apparently way lighter so you never experienced going over the edege. (of fret!)
Sounds like from repeated posts on Larrivee's frets, they need to do a better job on them.
And people should be free to air complaints about Larrivee on here if they are based on facts as they know them.
Hopefully it will result in better work and cust service.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »

I agree that complaints should be aired, i hope I wasn't coming across as suggesting otherwise.  Shoot, maybe it's something I would have known to have checked out, you now?  Maybe now we'll hear a little more reality Larrivee when the occasion presents itself. Because I am the kind of person that is affected by it the most, the person who knows next to nothing about guitars and buys based on reputation. it shouldn't be a crap shoot.

I'm not blaming myself at all because I really had no idea. But it does upset me greatly. I know most of the people I sold my guitars to I'll never run across, but it would still upset me to think that they felt cheated or disappointed.  My upset really isn't about Hadden's feelings because he's being quite decent and all that, it's about mine and well, I don't like how it makes me feel.  It bothers me to think anyone got less then what I expected them and presented them with. I'm just like that.

I don't like having something that was special to me turn out to have very real problems that should have been addressed before I ever opened the box. it makes me question the dealer and it makes me question Larrivee.  

Plus I have the flu and that doesn't help either,lol. I mean, I should be able to buy a guitar and have it come assembled (or whatever) correctly. If that's the care they give to special runs? it's just a big fat stinking mess.

I'm glad Hadden brought this up. Now it's soemthing the next person knows to look and ask about. I know I do.

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »

I wanted to keep it anonymous because I was afraid someone would question Holly's honesty (I'm a little repulsed even writing that sentence)---  I know she is a newer player/or has a playing style that tends to keep the hand still on the fret board perhaps, and had ABSOLUTLEY NO IDEA about the problems. She loved the guitar and regretted having to sell it.

I got it at a good price and it has nice upgrades so it kind of evens out ----- what can you do -- that's life.

L-03 Italian Spruce
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »

I didn't think YOU had problems airing anything! If I detected you holding back I'd be calling 911 and reporting a missing person and idenity theft.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »

Holly, don't be so hard on yourself. Take a look at my pictures, do you remember your guitars looking any different? Are any of the other buyers having a problem? It might just be this one guitar and if you didn't have a problem with it how would you know. Relax and I hope you feel better soon.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 10:32:06 PM »

Wait, your hand moves on the fret board? !?

Yes, you are totally right. Most of the time, while I'd love to say it's precision, it's because I'm still trying to nail the chord. I'm like planted there,lol.  Anything else is miles out.
We've discussed this, but again, I do appreciate your understanding and I do appreciate you mentioning it publicly. I'd rather it was about someone else's guitar....but.
Upset aside, it's one more thing I know to look and ask about.

It's one more thing a lot of people will know to look and ask about even if they aren't buying a Larrivee.  I know I sort of had a little meltdown there, but that's ok too because people need to understand that some things that are just part of the 'bang for the buck' equation are really rather upsetting for us who put up the buck in the first place.

This wasn't a set up issue or humidity issue or anything like that, this was a straight from them to me to Hadden.  It shouldn't have happened. It's isn't ok or part of the process.

But I'm smarter now and while I can't say it's the smart that makes me happy, I'm better off knowing it.

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:01 PM »

I didn't think YOU had problems airing anything! If I detected you holding back I'd be calling 911 and reporting a missing person and idenity theft.

Ok, I'll give you that.

I do appreciate the support, I just felt bad, I'm sick and damn, I really liked that guitar,lol. I am happy that if anyone has to deal with it it's someone like Hadden not because he just loves dishing out more dough, but because he'll get the guitar fixed and where is deserves to be and well, really play it.

PS. I don't mean to flail about and then disappear but i have to go lie down again. I've never had the flu. It's really not very nice,lol.

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 12:50:10 AM »

I second that.

I began to realize these guitars were not "perfect" about a year and a half ago. And then I went to the Collings factory three times and saw what I think were attempts at making "perfect instruments". And yet if you look close enough you find a flaw. I even saw a bridge on a Collings way off the original glue point. Glue ''creep" I guess.
  Anyway from finish to nuts, saddles, tuners, neck angles and some frets cutting your finger  tips from the finger board trim shrinking (not a humidity issue btw). And even more serious troubles.
   I guess they can "look" perfect, and if you don't play them they will stay that way. But to me if the guitar you have is what you want and the issues are small, then just let it go and enjoy playing.

leerichards

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 03:33:10 AM »

Holly, don't be so hard on yourself. Take a look at my pictures, do you remember your guitars looking any different? Are any of the other buyers having a problem? It might just be this one guitar and if you didn't have a problem with it how would you know. Relax and I hope you feel better soon.

He's right, Holly. You didn't know there was a problem and you sold in good faith. I know it hurts because it passed through your hands, but you really aren't responsible. Be gentle on youself and nurse youself through that flu. Rick
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:41 AM »

Holly no way you should be so tuff on yourself.Make some sleepytime tea add a shot or two of whiskey,then go lay down and get better.
As I said before this is not just a Larrivee problem and shouldn't deminish there "bang for the buck" statis.
Hadden if you would call me please.Where are you located,as in what state or country?
It seems that too many tech's that a fret dressing is not included in a set up,and in my eye's its part of the job.So if you bring it to someone please makesure a dressing is part of the deal.
Also before buying if you have a doubt about something please feel free to call as always any help I can be to the beginner to old and in the way knowledgable pick up the phone.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
willguitar

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 04:29:00 AM »

The guitar I purchased from Holly has no issues that I've detected. The nut appears to be cut properly.  nice guitar

Regarding Holly, she is a great person and seller.  

IMHO, this is first a Larrivee quality control issue and second a failure of the dealer not to inspect the guitar properly and reject it. Both are at fault and should make it right.

Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 07:30:55 AM »

I think that people are taking a bunch of this wrong -

There is nothing "wrong" about the way those guitars came out - it is just that they can be made better with a thorough, careful set-up.

You can take a brand new Ford to a race mechanic, and they can adjust the suspension, tweak the computerized fuel settings, replace tires, etc. - and you get a much better, higher performance car. Was there anything "wrong" with the way it came off the assembly line? No - it just could be made better.  The same is true with that guitar - It worked fine, but it could have been better.  We got these at very good prices - and that was what we asked Larrivee to do. Give us the best possible price on a custom guitar.

Look at the price for a new OM-09 vs a Collings or Santa Cruz OM. That extra thousand plus dollars buys you alot of extra attention to details, and a lot better set-up from the factory. But even then, after you've played that very expensive guitar for a few months or more, you are going to want a few things tweaked to your liking.

If the issues with your old guitar didn't bother you - then they weren't problems. Its a shame that circumstances are what they are - I've sold 2 of my F3s now, and will keep only the one - other guitars may be going soon too - but they are just things, and they can, and will, be replaced.

Larrivee builds a wonderful guitar that is a balance between inexpensive assembly line instruments and small factory hand made instruments. That is why, to me, they are such a great value. But alot of people will see cheap factory made guitars that are too expensive, and others expect solid-wood small shop guitars that lack the details and finesse.  But the simple answer is - If you think you can build or buy a better guitar than what a Larrivee offers you - then go and do it.

Finally, I do not think any of this can be put on Jim - he did a good job of checking these and installing nice bone saddles on them. His job was not quality control, and he undoubtedly assumed that all of us "Larrivee Forum members" knew exactly what to expect from a new -03 series Larrivee guitar, and these exceed those expectations greatly - I'm sorry if some of you expected more -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: