Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee and fret problems  (Read 20687 times)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2010, 04:08:59 AM »

I just ordered a Grizzly catalog. 

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2010, 04:35:04 AM »

I just ordered a Grizzly catalog. 
  Roger they scatter luthier items all around the catalog and it's a bit difficult to locate things. But on-line they have groupings and one is "luthier supplies" it helps to see more things than you can find in the printed version.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2010, 04:46:42 AM »

Roger they scatter luthier items all around the catalog and it's a bit difficult to locate things. But on-line they have groupings and one is "luthier supplies" it helps to see more things than you can find in the printed version.

Thanks Danny, I already checked them out online but wanted some light reading material (if you know what I mean). 

Roger

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:07 AM »

Thats takes away the fun of the hunt.Also doesn't hurt that i realy like tools.I have an old forged German made wire cutters,I've used it so long that  others feel really weird.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
SeattlePete

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »

So...  what happened to this from the online tour?

"Starting in late 2005 we changed our fretting process to include two new stages: "Leveling and Beveling". This new process is what you would find on guitars in the $8000 - $10000 Range as it requires MAJOR labor and time to do correctly. The guitar is loaded in a jig which simulates neck tension. We level the frets which eliminates any high spots and crevices in the frets and eliminates almost all potential buzzes in advance of the strings being put on."

and this:

"Once the frets are leveled, the edges of the frets are beveled - We call this stage "cutting the corners" and "Finishing of the frets". Both ends of each fret are hand filed & rounded, then polished to a shiny finish."

http://www.larrivee.com/features/acousticBuildTour6.php

-Pete
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »

How eerie, I just finished looking at the online tour. Saw this part and thought the same thing.

Roger

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »

I'll say this I promise you that the frets will need to be dressed again after hanging in the store.It would be nice if they really did finish the fret ends.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
BlackDogJazz

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »

Pete - Nice catch of the on-line tour   +1.  I think they really meant to say that the process is called "finishing the frets" when they do it, and "cutting the corners" when they don't.  I've had my new Larrivee for a month now, in a well humidified location and with humidifiers in the case as well.  Fret edges (not extended ends) are still very sharp.  When I called the dealer about it, they told me that they had not had the guitar long, and that I should talk to Larrivee about it if it was an issue (I know the policy of working through the dealer if possible).  I'm not sure I fully "understand" the statement about this process being what you find on $8,000 - $10,000 guitars.  As mentioned earlier I can pick up almost anything, at any price point in the big box guitar store and the fret ends will be smoother than this.  Maybe it was more of a reference to the fret leveling process.  The education on tools has been great in this thread.  Now I just need to decide out if I should attempt this process myself, or have my luthier clean it up.   

LV-03RE,   D-18,   G-312,  ...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »

If you've never done it and have a beater to practice on go for it.If not bring it to your tech/luthier and ask if you can watch him do it,learning something new is a great thing.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »

I'm not sure I fully "understand" the statement about this process being what you find on $8,000 - $10,000 guitars.    Maybe it was more of a reference to the fret leveling process. 
I think that jig thing to simulate tension is suspect anyway. You have a brand new guitar and the neck is perfectly straight with tension off rod. Level them. Barring any wierd problems with neck, when you apply tension of strings and have rod set correctly, it'll be good. At least that's what I've seen when my guy does frets, and he does'm great.
 That ties into the other thing which is this. The most important aspect of getting work done on frets, is who's doing them! I let someone refret my L-10 when I was new in town. He did what was talked about with simulating the tension and had it all talked up.  After taking it back to him twice to get rid of buzzing, I got it to Mark and and he had it rightous quickly. That's when I asked him about process. He just levels them when neck straight and the tension pulls the neck forward enough to clear frets. He looks at everything very carefully
with rod loosed up before he gets started. (In old L-10's case, rod isn't adjustable but I've watched him do others)

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2010, 07:52:01 PM »

The neck just has to be flat for either a fret dressing or a fretting.When I use to do refrets I would pull one fret out,fit the new fret in then too the next.I did this because if you pull all the frets there is a bit more give because all the fret slots are open.I was taught to do it this way because that bit of give meant that as my teacher said you didn't get a propper seating.When he built a guitar he cut one fret at a time.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: