Pages: [1] 2 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee and fret problems  (Read 20681 times)
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »

From peoples' comments and my experience it seems problems with fretwork is endemic with Larrivee. I wonder somehow if we can have influence to have them pull up their socks in this regard.

I just got a used L-03so with fretwork that should never have left the factory (I do know it's the original work). A really amateur job. The middle ones are a bit unseated, though not too bad. The real issue is the first 7 frets on the treble side were cut too short and then filed so that the e string is sitting right on the edge. Unless I sound a note completely still the string falls off the edge. This is just hack work to me. They all need replacement.    

L-03 Italian Spruce
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

Nonesense. Larrivee doesn't make mistakes..................... There we go, now we can skip the next twelve pages of bickering. In all seriousness though, if its used, you really don't know how it "left" the factory. It could be original frets that somebody tried to fix after some humidity issues.
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:36:39 PM »

Nonesense. Larrivee doesn't make mistakes..................... There we go, now we can skip the next twelve pages of bickering. In all seriousness though, if its used, you really don't know how it "left" the factory. It could be original frets that somebody tried to fix after some humidity issues.

No I know it is factory work (er I guess I can't really know).

L-03 Italian Spruce
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »

Maybe the problem is with the cutting of the nut.   gotpics?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »

Bad fret work isn't just a problem for Larrivee,it is with almost every company out there.I do fret dressings on just about every new guitar that come's across my bench.I also do know some shops that do fretwork on brand new guitars before they hit the show room floor.You need to let a guitar settle into its new/tempory home for a couple weeks.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »

Maybe the problem is with the cutting of the nut.   gotpics?

The e could be cut in a little. There would still be a problem. 

L-03 Italian Spruce
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:31:58 PM »

Bad fret work isn't just a problem for Larrivee,it is with almost every company out there.I do fret dressings on just about every new guitar that come's across my bench.I also do know some shops that do fretwork on brand new guitars before they hit the show room floor.You need to let a guitar settle into its new/tempory home for a couple weeks.

the way they are cut seems more than someone filing for humidity -- says factory to me. The original fretting. Someone at the shop may have filed in further if the edges were sharp or something and made it worse. Just looks to me I'll have to have them redone. The seller didn't have any work done so I assumed it was Larrivee.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »

If you can post some pix I'll be able to tell weather it was factory or other.Larrivee doesn't have a humity problem at the factory.Most of these fret problems so themselve's after shipping to the store.So as I said pix would help me.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »

If you can post some pix I'll be able to tell weather it was factory or other.Larrivee doesn't have a humity problem at the factory.Most of these fret problems so themselve's after shipping to the store.So as I said pix would help me.

Sorry unclrob I don't have a camera at the moment.

I got out my old man reading glasses and had a close look again. The high e nut slot is indeed cut a little too wide so the string sits out to the edge more than it should. The frets on the treble side with filing and being in too far from the edge means the string has perhaps 2mm less fret extension  than the bass side, which wasn't filed in at much of an angle at all, and is out further on the binding.  

So looks like I have double trouble with the nut and frets. Perhaps it would be passable if I just got a new nut done.

L-03 Italian Spruce
leerichards

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:38:45 AM »

I can't comment on your fret problems, hadden, but as soon as I played my LO3 R fresh out of the box, I realised that the treble e was set too close to the neck edge than I was accustomed to and when played open, was liable to touch my hand at the base of my index finger. My technique is a bit set in its ways now so I made new bone nut with the strings set out to my personal preference -  I moved everything over bass-wards and compromised about half a string width between bass E and A. I have since tried other Larris in shops and they are all the same and since the issue has never come up on the forum, I assumed it was just the way Larrivee do it. My other guitars have all got more "set in" than my Larri. I realise that this is not the source of your problem, but that minimal distance on the e will be compounding the problem. Rick.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »

Well it looks like a fret dressing and a setup is in order.If the fret damage isn't to bad and your tech knows what he doing it shouldn't be a problem.Get a new nut and your good to go.If I can be of help as always give me a call.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 02:55:28 AM »

I bought a consigned L-03 that was only 8 mos. old. After playing it a while I decided something was out of whack. I took it to a tech who did a setup (maybe a fret dress) and replaced the nut.

He had 2 comments: Who did the lousy setup? And: That guitar has a great tone! (BTW: he's a Martin dealer). It cost just shy of $C but, oh, the difference it made.

unclrob: how do we convince everyone that a good setup is EVERYTHING!!!

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 03:24:27 AM »

I have since tried other Larris in shops and they are all the same and since the issue has never come up on the forum, I assumed it was just the way Larrivee do it. My other guitars have all got more "set in" than my Larri. I realise that this is not the source of your problem, but that minimal distance on the e will be compounding the problem. Rick.

The nut spacings and fret ends are good on my LV-03r (I like the e set-in). They look perfect to my eye. I seem to remember the other two Larrivees I had were good too. With this one I can't do a pulloff or vibrato without getting slippage clang noise.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »

Dude you need..........how do I say this in good taste?????????????????????

mad  GET THE F****** D*** THING TO THE DOCTOR SOLVE THIS HOLE F****** PROBLEM

f how was that.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »

I remember how amazed I was at watching our Forum 3s coming off the rack, and having their tuners installed, get strung up, neck adjusted, saddle tweaked, final tune-up and ready to hand to the eager Forumite in under 15 minutes - I was very impressed at the time.

But the set-up on all my F3s was less than ideal. Jim did a decent job getting the bone saddle installed, but there were alot of small issues that I lived with for a while, to let the guitars get completely acclimated to their new home. I took one to a local tech, and he did a very decent job of adjusting it, but mentioned that he really thought it needed a more major set-up, with a little fret dressing and adjusting that was beyond the very basic set-up that I had asked him to do - 

While I was on the tour of the Santa Cruz Guitar shop a month ago, they explained that each new guitar got about 4 hours for the set-up. If they make any real adjustments to something, they put it back on the rack and let it sit for a day before they went further. They tweak the frets, nut, saddle, neck - they are incredibly thorough, although most guitars going to dealers are set-up just a bit high - much easier to lower the action than to raise it, as we all know.

This was especially apparent when after the tour, Richard Hoover himself met with everyone who brought their guitar with them, and went over them and checked any and all issues they had a question about. Some of the questions were about things so tiny, and required so much effort to identify and locate, that I think very few people would have even noticed them. But he very carefully checked them, and offered what they could do, and kept a few of them there for adjustments and set-up issues - some at no charge even when the guitars were over 10 years old, and some at very reasonable rates. But what impressed me was the level of detail they went to in checking every detail of each guitar.

They offer their set-up service for any guitar - so right now, my beloved F3 #17 is in their caring hands, and I am anxiously awaiting its completion so I can pick it up - in about a week or so now - and to see just how much better they can make it.

I was going to write this all up after it was done, but I think in the past I have said, and I will repeat, that you simply cannot get the most out of any guitar without it getting a great set-up. And unfortunately, probably for economic reasons, most guitars coming off the factory line from Larrivee ( and most other factory made instruments ) do not have a great set-up when they get to the dealer. And in this competitive economy, most dealers just pass on cardboard boxes for the lowest cost they can - because that is what the majority of customers want - and so too many of them do not learn what a really well set-up guitar can play ( and sound ) like.

Just my opinion -  And I'll let y'all know how it works out -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 07:12:13 AM »

Tad, do let us know all the details. That is very interesting.   
I have had the issue with the treble E being too close to the edge/frets filed close or whatever it was. But the E would just pop off the edge. I thought it was just me. This was a couple of years ago now on an 03 series.
   My F-III is getting some attention now, but it's from me. I have adjusted the neck relief and lowered the bone saddle. But I want to make a bone nut now. I looked at the nut through my magnifier and it is not cut so well. I just dread taking out the nut because of the chance of wood being splintered off. But I do want to get the setup just right. I've been enjoying the guitar a lot but I know it could be better.
    Truth is there have been some things I've seen on my Larrivees that did surprise me a bit. But I always think of the whole picture and believe these are well made guitars. They just may not reach the level of the hand made ones like SCGC. (are they still considered hand made?)
                            I guess that's enough from my corner, (I'll retreat behind a brick wall now.)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
leerichards

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »

From the very edge of the nut to the very centre of high e slot was 7/64" and from the nut edge to the outer edge of the string slot it was 3/32" on my original Larrivee tusq nut. How does that compare with your FIII, dan and others out there?  Rick.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »

Not directly on topic, but on a related note....... How the fret is shaped on ends makes a huge differnce as well. If it drops to sharply it's like you are completly over the cliff and it's too late. If it protrudes or a gap on bottom, string may even get stuck there.
 If rounded and tight it will never get stuck but also I think you can detect that you're getting over the edge without consequence of being all the way over before you realize it.
 Of course proper nut. proper length frets, rounded and seated well, is the whole answer.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »

Dude you need..........how do I say this in good taste?????????????????????

mad  GET THE F****** D*** THING TO THE DOCTOR SOLVE THIS HOLE F****** PROBLEM

f how was that.

Couldn't have said it better!
f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »

I just dread taking out the nut because of the chance of wood being splintered off.

Just whack it a good one.  Don't worry,  Be happy      bigrin

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1] 2 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: