Martin Ltd D28M Elvis - I don't get it...

Started by Zohn, November 05, 2009, 12:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

This guitar has everything made for a resonant, Marquis-specified tone monster: Adi top and (scalloped) bracing, Madagascar RW b&s, even D28-body appointments, and the part I don't get: a LEATHER SHEATH that covers it all!!   :?  :arrow  :wacko: - oh, and its sale price is $9k +!!!
Has anyone played one of these, and is the sound/tone as bad as it looks?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I saw one of these last week at a local high-end guitar shop.  They carry Martin, Larrivee, Huss & Dalton, Collings, Santa Cruz and a few other well known high quality guitars.   I did a double-take when I saw it.   I remember Elvis playing a guitar with a leather cover like this.  Also, Ricky Nelson played one like it.  It just looks wrong when you see one up close.    How can the leather cover not  adversely affect the tone of the guitar ?  And at $9,000 on top of it all ?  I would take any guitar in that shop over that one unless they gave me a big discount and agreed to cut the leather off  :roll

Im still waiting for the Signature Willy Nelson guitar with the big hole in the top. Now thats GOTTA effect the tone !

Just 'cos Elvis did it, doesnt mean its cool. Remember the jump suits with a short cape? What the.......  :?

Martin D28M. Whats the 'M' stand for...MOOOOOOOW????  :yak:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on November 05, 2009, 03:50:35 AM
Im still waiting for the Signature Willy Nelson guitar with the big hole in the top. Now thats GOTTA effect the tone !

Just 'cos Elvis did it, doesnt mean its cool. Remember the jump suits with a short cape? What the.......  :?

Martin D28M. Whats the 'M' stand for...MOOOOOOOW????  :yak:

Cheers, Scott.

Hey Buddy!! I noticed there's a clock of some kind ticking on another thread ... - anything to do with tomorrow's pay-day hey?  :humour:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Useless, visual only appointments. Think fake convertible tops on cars. Some folks like that stuff, along with greasy hair and lamb chop sideburns.

Quote from: Zohn on November 05, 2009, 04:59:19 AM
Hey Buddy!! I noticed there's a clock of some kind ticking on another thread ... - anything to do with tomorrow's pay-day hey?  :humour:

Hey Zohn!

Wednesdays pay day mate. Its been a long time without a decent guitar.  :crying:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

You have to admit that $9 grand is a small price to pay for the privilege of being able to stand in front of the mirror in the privacy of your own home singing Hound Dog with your wife (or girlfriend) standing behind you dressed up like Colonel Parker ordering you around and controlling your schedule.

Quote from: obe-wan on November 05, 2009, 08:16:33 PM

Hey Zohn!

Wednesdays pay day mate. Its been a long time without a decent guitar.  :crying:

Cheers, Scott.
Counting time with you - hang in there mate!

Quote from: teh on November 05, 2009, 10:47:00 PM
your wife standing behind you dressed up like Colonel Parker ordering you around and controlling your schedule.

Teh, it doesn't take owning a guitar like Elvis for that to happen in my house.  :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

It musta been a 50s thing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

oh I get it, cha ching ! for Martin.
Cashing in on Elvis once again.
does it ever end.
Shame on Martin! the greeds.
Dave

I would like to play it and hear it to see just what affects the leather cover imparts.  Ya know for some folks it's not all about the tone.  Different strokes for different folks.
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: L-fan on November 06, 2009, 06:58:44 PM
I would like to play it and hear it to see just what affects the leather cover imparts.  Ya know for some folks it's not all about the tone.
'zactly.  Most of the time when Elvis was playing up on stage with one of these, you really couldn't hear him strum over the backing band anyway... so didn't matter what tone it had or not as long as it looked cool

Quote from: RoundLakeDT on November 06, 2009, 09:15:36 PM
'zactly.  Most of the time when Elvis was playing up on stage with one of these, you really couldn't hear him strum over the backing band anyway... so didn't matter what tone it had or not as long as it looked cool

Bingo.   But it would be sheer lunacy for the average guitar player to plunk down $9,000.00 to look cool  playing a guitar.
May as well pay another 5 grand for some blue suede shoes to go with it.

Quote from: tuffythepug on November 06, 2009, 11:28:18 PM

Bingo.   But it would be sheer lunacy for the average guitar player to plunk down $9,000.00 to look cool  playing a guitar.
May as well pay another 5 grand for some blue suede shoes to go with it.

Yep - that kind of moola could get you a decent guitar - like a Braz SCGC Tony Rice model or a D-45 (sadly without leathers)  :blush:

Not my cup a tea, but in 50 years it will probably be a collectors piece. 

I honestly don't see this guitar as a daily player, but if it were, 50 years down the road...
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Yeah, that's ample time for the leather to open up..  :winkin:

You know that they have a mini travel LXM Elvis now where the leather cover is just printed on the small guitar top.  Ick.   I own three Martins and I still have to say....Ick.

Carry On!

John

Looks aside, I think it has a better chance of surviving a fall from a horse or a harley.
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78