Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L00 style guitar build Now Finished......  (Read 5590 times)
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »

Well, the guitar is together and has had strings on it four or five days. It still has the paper pickguard on it as I am waiting to put the real one on until I do the final polish with rottenstone on the guitar in a week or so more. The action is still high and the intonation not quite there yet but I made a quick camcorder video to show that it actually turned out to at least be playable. Don't hold my picking against the guitar, its still hard to fret until I dial in the set-up( As best as I can figure out anyway) in a week or so.
I also am to nervous to drive it hard until I get the real pickguard on it as the French Polish isn't tough. My fiance decided to sing with me on a tune we have been fooling with for a few days. I think my friend will be surprised and enjoy the guitar when I give it to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEh3z3Veukk
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »

nice guitar  But I really liked the duet. That's a nice song. I'd love to hear you do a studio version of that.

Well done Jon.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »

nice guitar  But I really liked the duet. That's a nice song. I'd love to hear you do a studio version of that.

Well done Jon.

Thanks Dan. The song is from the Avett Brothers. It's called The Weight of Lies. It's still really rough since we just started learning it a bit ago but the guitar set-up is rough to so they go together. I'm getting the wood for the next one on Monday. It will be Khaya/Adi with rosewood bridge, fingerboard and headstock. Hopefully, it will be better. This one came out just good enough to make me want to try again.
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:01 AM »

That was nice.  The guitar sounded pretty good to me and you haven't even finished with the setup.  It must be an amazing feeling playing a guitar that you built.  Congratulations!

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »

Hey Jono', well done and congrats!!  nice guitar It sounds like a real gem, and a nice song too.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »

Jon, I am very impressed. Something to be supremely proud of.

Khaya/Adi will be nice. Thrilled to see someone else who likes khaya, and doesn't consider it to be fake mahogany. It is wood, after all, so surely should be considered on it's own merits.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »

Well, I went back in and scalloped the bass side, lower leg of the X brace and did a bit of work on the  rear tone bars and she sounds much better now. Less boxy and more full and rounded in the bass. I think I'm leaving it here and move to the final tweaking on the set-up. I think my friend will like her. He has been working quite steady over the last year on his guitar playing and has some nice Dave Van Ronk and Gary Davis stuff going. He has been beating around on a Jasmine dred with 1 11/16 nut with the bridge starting to lift. I think the 1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 bridge spacing on this one will be much better with his rather large hands. So, now I just have to figure out when I'll be able to get up to Boston to give it to him.

On to the next one: Khaya/Adi back and sides, rosewood bridge, fingerboard, and headstock! Hopefully, it will be a bit better than the this one, and so on and so forth.

Jon, I am very impressed. Something to be supremely proud of.

Khaya/Adi will be nice. Thrilled to see someone else who likes khaya, and doesn't consider it to be fake mahogany. It is wood, after all, so surely should be considered on it's own merits.

Ben, I could care less what anyone else calls Kyaha. It is good wood, if rather plain, and will make a nice guitar. It is relatively inexpensive as well. I see no point in using 500 dollars worth of wood on guitars I'm building while I learn to do this.  Each time I am hoping they get a little better. When I get to the point where I feel like they are decent guitars, I'll use the sets of Black Walnut a friend is giving me. He bought the billets in the early 1980's from a retiring cabinet maker in Tennessee who had the wood in his possession since the 50's. I think those sets will make REALLY REALLY nice instruments when I am up to the task of making a good one.
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 06:27:13 PM »

Sorry, I don't think this is plain.  To the best of my knowledge, this is Khaya.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »

Sorry, I don't think this is plain.  To the best of my knowledge, this is Khaya.

Ben, that is nicely ribboned Kyaha. The stuff I'm getting is very plain and actually looks more like plain unfigured South American Mahogany(Swietenia macrophylla). Folks can call Khaya fake Mahogany if they wish, but it is a member of  the family Meliaceae. By the way, I don't necesscarily associate plain with perjorative meaning. I'm glad you are enjoying you new guita as well. It sounds quite nice in your hands!
 I'm actually hoping the Khaya I'm getting sounds good as a finished guitar because it is VERY plain which translates to relatively cheap as far as tonewoods go. I've started fooling around with Aniline Dye Powder and if this next guitar comes out all right, I'm going to build the next several out of the plain Khaya and practice doing hand applied suburst finishes on them. The plain Khaya would be the perfect vehicle for this as it is pretty inexpensive and I've had a couple of the sets in my hands and they are really, really light and they have a nice tap. I figure that cheap wood would make some nice Sunburst and all black L00 guitars!
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »

Sounds awesome Jonathan, sunburst on your third build!! You don't do things by halfs!!!

I believe that even the plainest woods can become very beautiful under the quality of finish you apply. The walnut was always pretty, but it is jawdroppingly beautiful on the finished article. I personally imagine that Khaya/Adi will make a snappy little guitar, it is a combination that really appeals.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Wrangler

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »

Great guitar great song AWESOME JOB!
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 04:50:05 AM »

a Khaya Larrivee - nothing wrong there, my daughter has a Walden G2070 in Cedar and Khaya, great guitar!!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »

Khaya is a better looking wood to me than sapele. I like the grain patterns and coloring more. I don't know much about Khaya's tone characteristics though.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »

Dan, I can't say what the characteristic tone is but I know the batch that I'll be choosing from is really light and has a nice musical tap. I think it will probably make a nice L00. I'm really considering making an all Kyaha L00 as I can get the top, back, and sides in Kyaha for less than the cost of just the top wood in Adi. It almost seems to be a no brainer.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »

Dan, I can't say what the characteristic tone is but I know the batch that I'll be choosing from is really light and has a nice musical tap. I think it will probably make a nice L00. I'm really considering making an all Kyaha L00 as I can get the top, back, and sides in Kyaha for less than the cost of just the top wood in Adi. It almost seems to be a no brainer.

Hmmm that sounds appetizing....

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »

Ah he just can't stand that we have an all hog 00 and he doesn't.

Really Jon that sounds way cool to me and I would like to see you do that myself.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: