Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best sound hole PU for slide guitar  (Read 704 times)
webberink

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:45:05 AM »

So I went into a Guitar store in another city on the proverbial guitar treasure hunt and came out with a brass slide.  Swore I would never play slide guitar but the fella in the store convinced me ... he was an expert.  So here is my new project.  I have a 67 Fender Palamino which long ago I refinished but never played much.  I tried it with the slide and it seems to work pretty good.  I am going to alter it some, raise the action etc and make it my slide guitar.  So what would be the best sound hole PU for such a project? value any sliders opinions.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:19:29 AM »

Some will say Sunrise ($$$), others will say Baggs M1(Still $$$ and a bit too natural), I will say a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker. They're easy to get, relatively cheap off ebay, add just a little bit of "electric" sound for some snarlin slide tones, and are one of the lowest profile pickups you can get. Get the Humbucker though, the single coil isnt as nice for slide.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson ES-339.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »

Thanks Scott,
I was also contemplating changing the nut and the saddle on the Fender Palomino to brass.  Any opinion on this for acoustic slide tone?  How do you think this would work with the Fishman humbucker?
Dave

obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »

Thanks Scott,
I was also contemplating changing the nut and the saddle on the Fender Palomino to brass.  Any opinion on this for acoustic slide tone?  How do you think this would work with the Fishman humbucker?
Dave

Dave, Ive never been a fan of brass saddles or nuts on acoustic guitars, but each to there own I guess. Maybe get a brass saddle first and see what you think of the tone, that way if you dont like it, its a pretty simple job to drop in a bone or Tusq one. As for the nut, the tone difference may not be that noticable, if you in fact notice it at all. Stick with bone.  

Also, be careful not to go too high with the action. If you're thinking of going lap slide-high you may end up damaging the guitar. Isnt the Palamino a bolt-on neck? Tread carefully my friend.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson ES-339.

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »

Yes the Fender Palomino is a bolt on neck, and I hear you when you say tread carefully.  I also hears you when you say experiment first with the brass saddle.  The Palomino is an unusual acoustic guitar with a tone bar running down the inside of the body.  But IMO its tone is pretty thin for an acoustic.  I have not used it much at all over the nearly 30 years I have owned it because of this.  I am kind of hoping that with some tweaking it will make a good slide guitar, at least amplified.  Thanks for the input.
Dave

obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:30:06 AM »

Good luck Dave, the Fishman should fatten up the tone for you, and hopefully give this guitar a new purpose in life!

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson ES-339.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: