Which artists have you really gotten into this year?

Started by v4c4tion b4y, October 30, 2009, 12:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone who hasn't checked out Kane, Kaplan and Welch should probably do so as soon as possible. Outstanding!

This Youtube video only hints at how good their CDs sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwKsVKcIU0

Interesting...hadn't heard of them before.

Ironically, the singer's voice and inflection on the song Mr. Bones sounds a LOT like T-Bone Burnett
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 18, 2010, 10:08:26 PM
Anyone who hasn't checked out Kane, Kaplan and Welch should probably do so as soon as possible. Outstanding!

This Youtube video only hints at how good their CDs sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwKsVKcIU0

Duck--

That was good, thanks.  The song incites dance urges, and I'm dancephobic.

The (is it a?) bazouki player is real good.  Does he play that thing on every song?  It's a nice signature sound for K, K and W, but might be a bit much if overused.  The guitar laying on its side with the headstock so close to the guitar player's left foot makes me nervous.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: ncognito on April 19, 2010, 04:35:07 AM

Duck--

That was good, thanks.  The song incites dance urges, and I'm dancephobic.

The (is it a?) bazouki player is real good.  Does he play that thing on every song?  It's a nice signature sound for K, K and W, but might be a bit much if overused.  The guitar laying on its side with the headstock so close to the guitar player's left foot makes me nervous.

DAVE

Fats Kaplan is a multi-instrumentalist playing guitar, slide, accordion, fiddle, mandolin and other stringed things. Keiran Kane, also a multi-instrument dude, used to play with the O'Kanes and Kevin Welch plays guitars and sings. All three of their CDs are very good. I can't recommend them too highly. Also check out David Francey's The Waking Hour. KKW back him up on it and it is fine.

Thanks Ducktrapper,  I've checked out a few of the you-tube clips and found them to be very entertaining.  Will look for some more of their stuff.  I suppose it's available on good old eyetunes.   

Watching them makes me want to just sit in the background and strum along.

I've been listening to "The Road to Escondido" a bunch.  It's the perfect biking at the beach music for California.....for some reason JJ and Eric just go together.....

I'm loving the Drive-by Truckers new album, The Big To-do.

I've started to get into this guy named "eric clapton".  He seems pretty good.  Don't know if any of you have heard of him before   :winkin:

Quote from: Blue Light on April 19, 2010, 04:57:56 PM
I'm loving the Drive-by Truckers new album, The Big To-do.

Love DBT. The Jason Isbell solo CD is pretty good too. I'm interested in Patterson Hood's.

:thumb

Quote from: zackblues on April 20, 2010, 12:36:08 AM
I've started to get into this guy named "eric clapton".  He seems pretty good.  Don't know if any of you have heard of him before   :winkin:

I think the jury's still out on him. Time will tell, but his early album 461 Ocean Blvd was very tastefully done.

But to answer the thread question, I just discovered Horace Andy, the Jamaican reggae/dub artist. Dance Hall Style is a masterpiece.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Really enjoying a lot of Buddy Miller (solo), and Buddy & Julie Miller.  Got the new Band of Horses CD, but not sold on them yet.  Agree with everybody here about DBT's The Big To Do.

Quote from: BlastersFan55 on June 10, 2010, 03:30:37 PM
Really enjoying a lot of Buddy Miller (solo), and Buddy & Julie Miller.  Got the new Band of Horses CD, but not sold on them yet.  Agree with everybody here about DBT's The Big To Do.

Band of Horses' 2006 release Everything All the Time is my go-to record.  The new one isn't bad but it's definitely growing on me.

I'm not sure if this really counts, as I haven't bought a CD yet, but I saw some amazing acoustic playing by Gary Lucas on youtube this morning. I was vaguely aware of him through his work in the Magic Band , and Jeff Buckley, but the solo stuff I heard today has my interest piqued. :donut :donut2 :coffee
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels

I discovered a Scottish artist called Alan Frew recently. His album 'Go Easy' is excellent. Mostly acoustic, and at that mostly nylon string, but played rather more like a traditional steel string.

Check out the title track if you can, it's brilliant.

Well worth a punt on iTunes if you are looking for something new.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BlastersFan55 on June 10, 2010, 03:30:37 PM

Thanks Blastersfan,  "Written in Chalk" is sounding really good to me.  I hadn't heard Buddy before...

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Any Eels fans out there?  What do you think of "End Times"?
I'm permanently hooked on "Blinking Lights"...

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

MONTE MONTGOMERY!
Not only does he make an acoustic (electric) Alvarez nearly explode under his technique but  he is a great songwriter with a good voice and a live show that measures something around 7.2 on the Richter scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_6aa-TTvI

If this were all he did it would be pretty astounding, but there is much more to him.
Stopped in my tracks by his guitar, but stuck around for the whole musician/troubadour package.
Russ

Composite Acoustics Cargo
Larrivée P-03R
Martin OM-21
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor 312ce

Quote from: Johnny M on October 30, 2009, 01:10:07 AM
Norman Blake.

The guy just makes it sound so easy.  Really nice touch!

Whiskey before breakfast will never be left off any Ipod I own.

But this last year I got into Mike Dowling.  Kind of a mixture of Bob Brozman and Chet Atkins.  Superb talent and impeccable taste. Never overplays (to my ear).  http://www.mikedowling.com/

The Stone Roses
Violent Femmes
Oasis
Brian Culbertson
Loreena Mckennitt

Larry Pattis and Muriel Anderson are well worth listening to (and learning from). I bought CDs from each of them online, and each of them sent me sheet music (with tabs) for several of their songs. Check out Muriel's version of the "Peanuts Theme" on Heartstrings. :thumbsup

By the way, Larry plays a Larrivee Parlor. :nana_guitar :cheers
Larrivee L-03
Larrivee P-03
Gretsch 6120
Gibson ES-335
Fender Stratocaster