Which artists have you really gotten into this year?

Started by v4c4tion b4y, October 30, 2009, 12:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Keaggy, Kelly Joe Phelps, Andy McGee.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Danny Schmidt, Devon Sproule, Fionn Regan, Liliana Rose, and The Felice Brothers are all interesting artists worth checking out. Other than that it's been a John Prine - Kris Kristofferson - Conor Oberst - Bob Dylan kinda of year.....lookin' forward to see what 2010 brings to my ears. cheers  :beer
Larrivee P-09 - Martin OM-21 - Hohner Harps

Obsessed with Jansch, to my uneducated ears (and fingers) he gets so much music out there without any histrionics, keep trying Angi, Carnival and Twa Corbies but, in truth, they are above me as yet. He did a workshop about a year ago, I didnt go because ...
1) Im not good enough to benefit
2)Couldnt find a mop big enough to wipe up my drool :drool:

Really liking Martin Simpson and Martin Carthy this year, Martin has a dvd Im going to get, is playing locally in May and is doing workshops.

Im not a natural at this I really have to work at it, however Im getting a consistant tone, can remember what few bars Ive practised, what I need to do is knuckle down and play a piece all the way through. Of course a new guitar will help in this wont it? :roll
If I was where I would be, then Id be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot....Bert Jansch.

I have been listening to much of "the Weepies" and anything that Jon Foreman has done, solo, Fiction Family, Switchfoot, etc. 

Larrivee LV03R
Larrivee OO-40 Pearl Edition
Larrivee OM-40WL

I rediscovered Pat Metheny, due to his crazy project Orchestrion.  Besides being such a brilliant (crazy) idea, the end result is IMHO great music !
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

I pretty much put my Ipod on shuffle and listen to the old stuff.

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 31, 2009, 04:04:09 PM
Nick Drake

He's someone that I've really gotten into lately, having missed him first time around.  Funny, I was all over John Martyn at the time, but missed Nick Drake.  It was a pleasure to discover him though. 

Guilty pleasure--I really like the new Vampire Weekend album.

Jeff
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

I've been really getting into Ryan Adams lately and rediscovering Sonic Youth. It's good timing, too, since those two essentially represent my acoustic and electric sides in terms of my own playing style.
Gordon

--
Larrivée D-03R
Alvarez AD-60K
Alvarez 5020SB
First Act Sheena LE003 (don't knock it, it's a handmade, insanely good axe)
Schecter C7

Thinking about it a bit more...
Feist, not the usual fare here, but I like the voice, her playing and ability to totally rearrange her songs to create such fresh variations on the original recorded version.

Over The Rhein, Love the Trumpet Child album.

Lila Downs, a fascinating mix of various modern and traditional musical styles melded to backup some of the most passionate vocals of the last few years.

Not at all guitar centric choices, but does it really have to be?   

1. A DVD with Don Alder playing three terrific Micheletti guitars @ Heraldsburg. He is a great player.
2. Michael Hedges.
3. Al Pettaway (wish I could get some of his CD's)
4. Brad Davis.
5. Don Ross.
6. Diane Birch (our own Safricanplayer's "baby" sister!)
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: v4c4tion b4y on October 30, 2009, 12:10:44 AM
I've been smitten by a ton of great music this year...  for acoustic guitar, I've found a bunch of great players : Ben Reynolds, Denis Turbide, Richard Crandell, Yair Yona, C Joynes, Sean Smith, Glenn Jones, Matt Baldwin, BRAD BARR!!!...  also finally started exploring the early Kaki King records, have fallen head over heels for the music of Archie Fisher, spent a ton of time listening to Micah Blue Smaldone, Death Vessel, Martin Carthy...

...not to mention the mighty MASTODON!!!  Man, that's good metal.

What's everyone been listening to this year, other than the Beatles remasters?

I have to mention John Mayer. I heard about him all the time but I have just started to listen to his music recently.
I am really attracted by his voice and his guitar. It's really beautiful

Mayer... I must ask what is it you like about his voice... I like his guitar playing (a lot dynamite player)... but cannot get past his songwriting and voice, both if which I find insufferable.

If you like Diane Birch you must go to the Daryl Hall site Live from Daryl's Living Room.... http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/index.php?page=ep24

A brilliant concept by Hall, it is full of fascinating guest choices in a rare relaxed atmosphere.

When J.R. Rogers of the AGF told me I'd be on the next CD compilation, I was really excited (obviously!) and really curious about the other tunes that would be on there.  I've discovered a whole bunch of great artists in the last two weeks....

I find myself singing along with a lot of the tunes...some are truly gems, really amazing song.  So much talent there...

I'm might be biased, but I know good music and this cd has it.

Some highlights

Daniel Duncan's Killin Me
Timothy Smellman's Coming Home
Andy Romano's Corinne
Noah Zacharin's In the Heather

I was listening to John Mayer's solo stuff, and it's a lot more interesting.  His studio stuff is...  weak IMO.  The drums are too straight and simple and don't seem to complement his more syncopated guitar rhythms. 

To most all the other artists, I have some studying to do!!

-Pete

OK, Duck...I'll take the bait...who the?

My brother sent me The Mars Volta, Octahedron.  It's pretty good.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on April 14, 2010, 03:02:46 AM
OK, Duck...I'll take the bait...who the?

My brother sent me The Mars Volta, Octahedron.  It's pretty good.

The artist, Vincent Van Gogh. The painting the famous, Starry Night. I think Mars Volta could provide the soundtrack though.   :smile:

How do you guys evolve (I guess) the artists you listen to - local music scenes, forums, radio, youtube, friends?  Reading this thread reminds me there's so much out there I'm not aware of.
L03R(e)
Taylor 314CE
Taylor 312CE

Recently discovered a couple of new favorites

Broken Bells

and
the White Buffalo.   A good friend of mine will be opening for White Buffalo at a gig in the Santa Cruz area pretty soon. 

Also been digging Nico Stai

My music selections have been the product of a kind of crazy, six degrees of something or other kind of thing:
I started by discovering
1. Works Progress Administration, which led to
2. Glen Phillips' solo records (WPA is Glen's new band, which also features the lovely and talented...)
3. Sara Watkins, who has a new solo debut out (plus some great live shows I found on archive.com)  Sara's brother Sean is in a band called Fiction Family with
4. Switchfoot frontman Jon Foreman, which led to checking out
5. Jon Foreman's solo stuff

Alot of these associations were the product of:
1. downloading a show on archive.com or directly from the artist's website (Glen Phillips does a great job with this kind of stuff) or
2. seeing a performance on Youtube and then going to archive.com and the artists website, and then
3. buying stuff from the itunes store or from the artist directly.
As I found 1 gem I would stumble across something else which led to something else, which ultimately led to me spending money!  Still can't see where some artists think free content takes money out of their pockets...