Which artists have you really gotten into this year?

Started by v4c4tion b4y, October 30, 2009, 12:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been smitten by a ton of great music this year...  for acoustic guitar, I've found a bunch of great players : Ben Reynolds, Denis Turbide, Richard Crandell, Yair Yona, C Joynes, Sean Smith, Glenn Jones, Matt Baldwin, BRAD BARR!!!...  also finally started exploring the early Kaki King records, have fallen head over heels for the music of Archie Fisher, spent a ton of time listening to Micah Blue Smaldone, Death Vessel, Martin Carthy...

...not to mention the mighty MASTODON!!!  Man, that's good metal.

What's everyone been listening to this year, other than the Beatles remasters?
Collings OM2 Custom (2010)
Gibson L-00 Reissue (circa 2000)
Yamaha FG-331 (80's)

http://www.workandworry.com = News and reviews of fingerstyle, acoustic guitar, folk, blues and beyond!

I've never felt so "out of the loop" as I felt when I read your list of acoustic artists.   :bgrin:   I recognized only our own Denis Turbide from the list.   I guess I have some music to check out.     If it's all as good as Denis's stuff I'll be looking forward to it.

I've been going through a  Fred Eaglesmith, John Prine, Greg Brown, Jackson Brown phase for a while now so it's probably time to expand the playlist.   Death Vessel sounds interesting   :whistling:  Is that one of your "guilty pleasures"

Norman Blake.

The guy just makes it sound so easy.  Really nice touch!
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

My record of the year so far is "Tell No Lies" by Justin Adams & Juldeh Camara.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

Quote from: Johnny M on October 30, 2009, 01:10:07 AM
Norman Blake.

The guy just makes it sound so easy.  Really nice touch!

That is no lie. I had never heard of Norman Blake about 15 years ago and saw he and Nancy for the first time at our local yearly folk festival. By the middle of the first tune I was eight  to ten feet in front of our little stage with my chair planted and just sat mesmerized for the next hour or so. It was one of the best musical experiences in my life. Norman an Nancy hung out quite a while after the show talking to folks and watching the other acts and their playing really made me want to work on learning to play guitar.

Quote from: tuffythepug on October 30, 2009, 12:52:59 AM
Death Vessel sounds interesting   :whistling:  Is that one of your "guilty pleasures"

Death Vessel is definitely not a guilty pleasure!  He/they are a very unique indie-folk, americana kind of band.  The singer, Joel, is a grown man, but has the voice of a child.  Great lyrics, great arrangements, highly recommended!
Collings OM2 Custom (2010)
Gibson L-00 Reissue (circa 2000)
Yamaha FG-331 (80's)

http://www.workandworry.com = News and reviews of fingerstyle, acoustic guitar, folk, blues and beyond!

John Hartford.  That there was a hell of a musician.  Going through his influences and those that he influenced has been a great treat this year.

I just saw Chris Smither last week for the... 4th time I think. Picked up his new recording. It is especially good.
Recently bought Kelly Joe Phelps's new CD which I like very very much. All instrumental and a bit weird. Guess that's why I enjoy it.

Quote from: Queequeg on November 05, 2009, 02:43:08 PM
I just saw Chris Smither last week for the... 4th time I think. Picked up his new recording. It is especially good.
Recently bought Kelly Joe Phelps's new CD which I like very very much. All instrumental and a bit weird. Guess that's why I enjoy it.

Smither is one of a kind! Hold On is one of my all time great favorites. It is a song which is pretty near perfect. I love Kelly Joe.  Shine Eyed Mister Zen is in my all time top 10 favorites. He is a Monster picker.

Hey, if you like Chris Smither whom I've seen three or four times, check out Little Toby Walker.  Through Ben's very well executed, interpretative covers I've been getting into Nick Drake.  I knew I liked Drake, but thanks to Ben, I really like Drake.  Also, I've just become famiiar with Ed Gerhard, and really like his stuff.

DAVE   
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

I've just recently started listening to Richard Gilewitz, Bruce Cockburn (Speechless) and Yair Yona. Outstanding fingerstylists.
f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Norman Blake
John Hartford
Ralph Stanley
Dar Williams
Peter Ostrousko
Debussy

Tony McManus.  Saw him in concert a few months ago for a three hour set.  I nearly quit playing acoustic after that.

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on November 07, 2009, 02:25:25 PM
Tony McManus.  Saw him in concert a few months ago for a three hour set.  I nearly quit playing acoustic after that.

I saw Tony Mcmanus at a House concert at Dreamguitars a few months ago. One of the best!! A great way to see an artist; a house concert. You can talk with them and have a beer together!

Dr.
2014 Recording King RD-310
2015 Recording King RP-G6 Parlor
2016 Corboba C7 Cedar/Rosewood
2020 Larrivee OM-40 SBT
2023 Martin OM-18 Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany
"Character is what you are in the dark"

I've really gotten into the music of a guy named Chris Knight.  He hales from Kentucky, and really is a great songwriter.  Another guy I never tire of is James McMurtry.  His new live CD is very good.

Bruce Cockburn (which I just saw) and Ron Sexsmith, Ben Harper, Jeff Buckley, Johnny Cash, Scott Merritt (always). I'd have to say I haven't heard of three quarters of the other musicians posted. This is a very cool thread. I'm going to have to check out some of them. Death Vessel is a whacked name, but Indie/folk sounds interesting.  I've seen the name Fred Eaglesmith a few times in this post and it's kind of funny because his records are made at "the cottage" which is Scott Merritts house, one of my all time favorite artists. I bet me and my wife have seen him ten times. Here's a link. Check him out !! http://www.scottmerritt.net/ .
Larrivee L-03R (born Feb 7,2008)

Jackson Browne .... I think I'm stuck in the 60's and can't get out...''Rock me on the water"

The Drive By Truckers just continue to grow on me....
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Paoulo Nuttini and Nico Stai have been setting my toes to tapping this year.    Never heard of either of them prior to '09.
Nick Drake and Townes Van Zandt are a couple of old reliables that I've rediscovered this past year.  Oh yeah, and the Magic Numbers.