Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: larrivee vs maton  (Read 3600 times)
amet

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »

hye all,i just want to ask an opinion with you guys..it is about a a larrivee and maton..my friend say the maton fingerstyle(ebg808) guitar is very good..it is really work on percussion(knock the guitar body) when its on amplified(using pickup)..but i really like larrive Om-03re,Om-05..can you guys give an opinion?is larrivee capable to doing exactly same like maton guitars?thank you..
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »

Either instrument is a nice guitar. I recently saw a Maton EGB 808 Artist go for 700 USD on another forum. If you do a lot of percussive stuff amplified, and wish to get an 03, buy it without electronics and install a SBT like the K&K PWM. You'll be able to bang away and the response will be similiar to unamplified. The SBT's are great for percussive players. Let your ear chose the instrument you like best acoustically and worry about the seperate issue of electronics later.
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »

My friend had a Maton Messiah ordered from Australia and shipped to Japan (there were no Maton dealers in Japan at that time) and got it for a really good price.  Buying one in North America is pretty expensive.  With that said, it was a great guitar that I would have liked to own.  Larrivee's are also great guitars and I think that you would do fine with either.  Like GA-ME said, get one without electronics and ad your own.

Tommy Emmanuel plays a Maton and does a lot of percussive stuff, and it seems to work for him 

Let us know what you decide.

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »

Tommy Emmanuel plays a Maton and does a lot of percussive stuff, and it seems to work for him 

You can beat on a Maton but please be kind to the Larrivee.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

I played a Tommy E Signature model Maton at Alan's Music in Sydney this year, and while it was well built and played quite nicely, I found the sound to thin.  Very "tinny" with too much emphasis on the treble.  No low end at all.  I remember Fongie (who is from Australia and is familiar with these guitars) agreeing with my impressions after I wrote a post on this Forum.

Just because Tommy plays one, which happens to be made in his home country, doesn't mean they're great guitars.  And he could make anything sound awesome.  Again, they're well built, and smooth to play, and fairly pricey if I remember correctly, but give me my Larrivee any time...

jimmy

carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »

A friend had a Maton Messiah.When I got my very first Larry [the Lo2] and played the two guitars side by side we both agreed the Larry was superior in every way [ for a quarter of the price].The friend sold the Messiah and now has a lovely 12 fret Collins and a Larry Do3.He plays his Larry more than he plays his Collins.Maton guitars always sound very mellow to me [unless Tommy Emmanual is in the pilot seat].

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
amet

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:15 PM »

i see..thank you for all your help..
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »

Gday mate,

Ive owned both the Maton BG808 (no electrics) and a Larrivee OM-03R. Worry about the pickup later and buy the  superior guitar.

That would be the Larrivee. By far.  

Incidently Tommy E. ownes several Larrivees too. I also remember when he played nothing but Takamines.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: