Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LS-05  (Read 7159 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:47:10 PM »

I think I've finally solved my I think i needa smalla geeta problem.

I thought I might like an OM3 Rosewood. But I've got  Rosewood (and  Maple) guitars already.  

I was looking for something smaller than an L body and I know that I really like the size and shape of the Larrivée Classical guitars (I have one).  The OM body shape  didn't appear to be very much smaller than the L body especially when you compare the upper bouts.

The Forum III's that I saw at the factory were delightful instruments but I was worried that I would struggle with the 12 fret neck. Thanks to Dermot, I've had some serious play time with at 12 fret lately and I realize now that I really like having the room to move that you get with 14 frets to the body.

So what does that leave?

I got an LS-05 with Englemann Spruce top and Honduran Mahogany back and sides. It has a pickup and condenser microphone with a blender built-in so it's ready to go. Picked it up from a local luthier who set it up for my style (light finger picking with lots for chording and single, double, triple stop work up the neck).  It's got the Buzz Feiten System system installed.

It's got a few light body bumps - nothing that couldn't be fixed. But for me this means that I can relax when I take this little guy out.

So the bottom line: It's small (oh so cute). Same size as my classical. Sounds just like you'd expect with the Englemann/Mahogany. It's got some bling (oh I like the bling). It's ready for gigging NOW, and I've been playing it for most of last night and some today. It's really sweet unamplified, but sounds terrific when I plug it in. I've been working on some new material lately, and this feels like just the right instrument to work with for that right now.
Nice. Very Nice.  

Anybody seen my camera? As soon as I find it I'll post pictures.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:53:49 PM »

That sounds like one sweet lil LS ya got there ST.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:55:04 PM »

Wow, sounds SWEET!!!

I had spotted it in your signature, but wondered if I had just missed that before. Please keep looking for that camera!!!

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »

ST--

It sounds like that LS05 will meet your needs perfectly.  Congratulations.  Did you look in your car behind the passanger seat on the floor for your camera?  How about beside that stack of books under the coffee table? 

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:53 AM »

Oh Man!  That's my "the one that got away" guitar!   Congrats on finding a nice one.   I'll force myself to look at the pics once you post them. crying
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:09:12 AM »

I've been working on some new material lately, and this feels like just the right instrument to work with for that right now.
Nice. Very Nice. 
Anybody seen my camera? As soon as I find it I'll post pictures.

Cool... the right instrument for your new musical path is a wonderful thing to be able to say....

I think i have a camera around here somewhere.. if wanna use it?

;-)

d.

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 06:53:47 AM »

Found the camera - Where's that PhotoMatt when you need him?

LS-05
Notes:
  • Englemann Spruce Top
  • Honduran Mahogany
  • Buzz Feiten tuning system
  • Flamed Maple Binding
  • Bone Nut
  • Bone Saddle
  • Bone Bridge Pins
  • Fishman Matrix Condenser microphone and Piezo with  Fishman Blender

Dimensions
15" Lower Bout
11" Upper Bout
9-3/4" Waist
19-1/2" Body Length
4" Max. Depth
25-1/2" Scale

From the Larrivée site:
  • High gloss finish
  • Abalone rosette
  • Bound fingerboard
  • Micro dot inlaid fretboard markers
  • Mother-of-pearl Larrivée logo inlaid in headstock
  • Sterling silver inlaid headstock border
  • Ebony headstock overlay

with the C10

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »

Very nice ST, it's one I would like to have. I know you need the 14 frets also. Glad you found what you were looking for.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »

I've owned an LS10,a CS09,an LSV05 and a CS05 and an LS05,to this day I wish I regret selling them all,even more so now that I can't my JUMBO crying.Great comfy size,bold tone and great volumn.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:52:27 PM »

It's funny. When I got my Larrivée Classical about 21 months ago I thought I was all done with GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). I broke my own rule (one in, one out) to get that little beauty and I figured after that I was done. Then in the spring there was a group of folks who were coming in to Vancouver to pick up their Forum III's and I thought it would be fun to meet a bunch of Larrivée owners and do the factory tour. Little did I suspect that I'd actually get the buzz to get a smaller guitar.

Danny, I think this may be your fault. If you hadn't been so generous in letting my play your Forum III (Italian Spruce / Mahogany) I probably could have come out of this unscathed. But oh no. I got the buzz.  Then there are the other accomplices who got me thinking more seriously about Mahogany as a tone wood. So thanks to all of you!

This LS-05 is another one that breaks the rule (one in, one out) because I played it, had to have it, and it is so different from anything else around here that it doesn't displace anything. Darn - I am running out of space for the cases.

So many Guitars! So few walls!

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »

Yeah, but lots of people could build you an extra wall - few can play the guitars as well as you -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »

I do remember how skeptical you looked when I first handed you my F-III, but then a big smile took over your face and I was surprised when you didn't grab one of the extra's that had been built.
   It's good you waited and found just what you wanted.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:02 PM »

Just for comparison - my C38 Classical and the LS-05

And to complete the quartet.

I think this one shows the big difference in colour between the Sitka Spruce (left) and Englemann Spruce (right).

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »

think this one shows the big difference in colour between the Sitka Spruce (left) and Englemann Spruce (right)

Definitely!  Oh but Englemann and mahogany...in a Larrivee?  In an LS?  Is that a 1 3/4" nut?  MMMmmmm....must be sweet for fingerstyle!

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »

Hi Denis,

Good eye - yes that is 1 3/4" nut. That's a bone nut (not the original).  It came with the Feiten Tuning System retrofit.

Definitely!  Oh but Englemann and mahogany...in a Larrivee?  In an LS?  Is that a 1 3/4" nut?  MMMmmmm....must be sweet for fingerstyle!

This is a really responsive little guitar. I guess that's the Englemann talking.

I usually approach a guitar with a light hand, but I've been throwing everything at this one and it's taking it all in stride.

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »

And I'd be interested in your opinions on the Feiten system as well -

Tad

Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 01:36:44 AM »

Just curious,  did you get some assurance that the top was englemann spruce?   Here's a pic of a late 90's C-09 I once owned.  The top had that light creamy buttery color.  It never turned amber like most sitka tops I've seen.  Larrivee insists it's sitka.  They also said sitka can vary that much in color.  It sounded great and had a nice look to it as well. 
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »

Hi Larrivee4me,

That C09 is beautiful.

I can understand why you are curious.

Actually I was sceptical at first but I checked and Englemann Spruce was an option for the LS-05 back in 1999.  

Just curious,  did you get some assurance that the top was englemann spruce?   Here's a pic of a late 90's C-09 I once owned.  The top had that light creamy buttery color.  It never turned amber like most sitka tops I've seen.  Larrivee insists it's sitka.  They also said sitka can vary that much in color.  It sounded great and had a nice look to it as well.  

I have a signed bill of sale with a written description of the guitar. The transaction was witnessed by two ex-Larrivée employees, one of whom is very well known here and he was able to attest to the history of the guitar.

My camera isn't doing the colours justice.

I just took these pictures. In each picture a guitar  known to be Englemann Spruce is on the left side of the picture. The right is the LS-05.  I've had both of those other Guitars since they were new (1996) and I have confirmed the woods with the manufacturer.

A different guitar (Englemann Spruce top) on the left. LS-05 on the right.

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 07:32:55 AM »

Hi Tad,

And I'd be interested in your opinions on the Feiten system as well -

Tad

Thanks for kind comments earlier in the thread.

EDIT

I've started a new discussion in the technical area to talk about the Feiten system. I have moved pictures that were here, over to the new discussion.

Buzz Feiten Tuning System on my LS-05 (pictures)

Please join me there. Thanks!

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »

Thanks ST - the closeups are great. I've been wondering why more builders don't put in a wider saddle to allow for greater adjustment of intonation. Doesn't the Feiten system also tweak the nut a bit as well?

Great guitar - congrats!

Tad

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: