OM-21 vs OM-28V

Started by blindblakefan1, October 14, 2009, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: blindblakefan1 on October 26, 2009, 12:51:10 PM
And Scott, you are a MAJOR enabler, so I hope in future everybody approaches your advice with caution.  :humour:

Hehehehe...  :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Hi everyone. It's been a little while, but I will now attempt to insert a pic of my new Martin OM-21 Special. All thanks to Scott, for encouraging my GAS feelings on this one. (And Scott, when are we gonna see your new OM-21?) I dunno why, but I'm not very good at photographing guitars. They always look better in real life than in the photo. So you have to take my word that this OM-21 Special is a beautiful instrument. When I play this guitar, I'm still in that phase of "I can't believe this guitar is really mine." It doesn't quite feel "real" to me yet. The neck is absolutely comfortable -- very spacious -- and the tone is gorgeous. I would not be surprised if this guitar becomes my favorite over time. I'm even thinking of selling my Taylor 710, but I like the thought of having a dread and my 710 is a really nice one. So here's the OM-21 Special if I can figure out how to post it. [imp]http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71/mlewis61/[/img]
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Very nice guitar.   Here is your picture. :thumbsup

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oops. I'm gonna try this again. And if it doesn't work, I'm gonna wait for one of you guys to give me advice on how to post a pic. Thanks.
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Hey Dan, thanks for posting my picture. I think I finally succeeded in posting it too. Man, I wish I were playing this guitar right now! Have a donut, everyone.  :donut
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Looks like we were working on the pic at the same time. How about some of the sides and back when you get a chance?
  Which case comes with this one? I have a molded case with my OM-21 standard, but I bought the upgrade "gieb'' style 5 ply case.

I also enjoy my OM-21 a lot. It is a 1993 model and very mellow sounding. But it can thump too. I'm going to replace the saddle soon with a bone one and change the strings. I love the sound of new strings on these. With bare fingers they still just ring. I put bone pins on my F-III recently and didn't hear any difference, so I may switch them to the OM and see if it changes.

My OM-21 Special came with a molded case. I'll have to take some pics later of the back and sides, but for now, here's a shot of the back of head stock and the tuners. Hope it gives you an idea. I bought this guitar from a private seller, I'd be surprised if it's more than a year old, really nice! Thanks for asking about it.
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

I have some Schaller tuners just like that and have thought of putting them on my OM-21.

Quote from: dependan on November 09, 2009, 01:56:38 PM
 I have some Schaller tuners just like that and have thought of putting them on my OM-21.

Hey Danny, are the screw holes in the right place for a straight change over? I like the look of the open backs and might put some on my OM-21. When I pick it up TOMORROW !!!  :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar

Lovely looking axe Blindblake. Im glad i helped "enable" you.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

I actually prefer the style of tuner that's on the OM-28V, but you can't have everything! Believe me, I'm not complaining!  :bgrin:
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Scott, you da man! I never even thought about the OM-21 Special until you sang its praises. Please, don't give me any more advice for now. I can't afford it.  :donut2
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

My absolute pleasure Blindblake, Im glad you snagged a good one.  :thumb

The only difference I can see in the OM-28V tuners is the "cloverleaf" shape to the buttons compared to the vintage oval on the -21 special, is that correct?

I actually prefer the ovals, they look more vintage to me than the ones on the ...er...vintage reissue Martin.  :doh

Hey, you know what would go great with your OM? A nice little 00. Mahogany back and sides, nice Sitka top, 1-3/4 nut, 24.9 scale, .... :drool:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Hey, you know what would go great with your OM? A nice little 00. Mahogany back and sides, nice Sitka top, 1-3/4 nut, 24.9 scale, .... drool

Nice try on that one, Scott, but I'm not biting (at least, not yet). I'm not especially eager to be featured in a news story headlined "Wife kills guitar-loving husband, father of 3."

I do prefer those "clover leaf" tuners or whatever, but I'm sure the OM-21 Special tuners will grow on me!
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Quote from: obe-wan on November 09, 2009, 03:11:10 PM
Hey Danny, are the screw holes in the right place for a straight change over? I like the look of the open backs and might put some on my OM-21. When I pick it up TOMORROW !!!  :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar

Lovely looking axe Blindblake. Im glad i helped "enable" you.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
No, they don't line up. But I would just refinish the back of the peg head and make them work if I go ahead and do it. Mine seem to be Pings. But they don't slip or cause any tuning problems. So it's just my vanity.

Here's the one I had once upon a time. I bought it from Tom Young, he's a semi-celebrity among us guitar nerds and I'm just cool as sin so that guitar has a lot of mojo. It went to Texas I think.

Gday Jeremy!

You've been quiet lately.
What made you get rid of your OM-21? You've now got a similar spec SCGC havent you?

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

The neck profile was too shallow, it hurt my wrist. I ended up with the SCGC OM/PW which for me has one of the best neck shapes I've tried - a soft V that's has some meat to it but doesn't feel too thick. The Santa Cruz is similar to OM-21 and OM-28V as they all are somewhat based on the original Martin OM's.

I keep waiting for Scott to post something about his new OM-21 -- what it looks like, how he likes it, etc. I'm kind of in suspense here.

Does this mean I'm one of those guitar geeks who needs to get a life?

Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Quote from: blindblakefan1 on November 10, 2009, 11:47:23 AM
I keep waiting for Scott to post something about his new OM-21 -- what it looks like, how he likes it, etc. I'm kind of in suspense here.

Yup  :whistling:

Quote from: dependan on November 10, 2009, 06:12:22 PM
                                                                      Yup  :whistling:

Quote from: blindblakefan1 on November 10, 2009, 11:47:23 AM

Its here guys. And its beautiful.

I just havent had a chance to play it yet. Lawns to mow, and the little ones are in full swing "lets pound Daddy" mode. Pics will be posted tonight, after a little "get to know her" time, and maybe a Bourbon. Or three...

Stay tuned. :cheers

P.S. Theres actually another closet "enabler" amoung us, he's partly responsible for my Martin purchase. So Im just "paying it forward".

This enabler is very "dependable"  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.