OM-21 vs OM-28V

Started by blindblakefan1, October 14, 2009, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello All.

Apols if this topic has already been covered here, but does anyone have any thoughts on the playability/desirability of the Martin OM-21 vs the Martin OM-28V? I was recently reading some rave comments on this forum about the OM-21. I like the look and sound of that guitar. I recently played one (an OM-21) and found the neck to be rather "beefy" for my tastes. But now I REALLY like the look of the OM-28V, esp those butter bean tuners -- but I have never played one. I understand that the "V" indicates it has an old-style V-shaped neck in back, which some players find hard to get used to. The point is that I sort of have minor G.A.S. for an OM-28V but don't really know if it would suit my style. I play mainly fingerstyle and I'm very comfortable with my Larrivee L-01. I prefer the spaciousness of a 1-3/4" nut width. I have enjoyed the recent discussions on this forum about going Larrivee-less and our Australian friend's waiting for the arrival of an OM-21 and also Jones-ing for a Santa Cruz guitar. I can relate, man.  :donut  It is also a point well-taken that giving in to G.A.S. does not necessarily make one a better musician. But while I love the guitars I own, I can't help eyeing (at least for this week) the Martin OM-28V (let's not even talk about the Santa Cruz H 13). Thanks for listening.

Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

here is a link to specs for the no longer in production OM-28

it is being custom ordered by Elderly
notice it has a low profile neck

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OM28.htm

here is the OM-28VS specs on the Martin web site
http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=s&g=V&m=OM-28V

It has a mod-v neck profile and 2 5/16 string spacing -  finger style players usually like the extra width.
I think the regular OM28 uses 2 1/4 spacing -

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

I find the OM-28V to be more desirable. I prefer the bigger V neck profile...then the 28 adds ebony fretboard and bridge (rosewood on the 21) better tuners and a little fancier trim (like the back stripe). I'm not convinced the playablity of either is superior...I think its just what you get used to playing....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Thank you for the fast feedback, gentlemen. I appreciate it.  :donut2
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

You might also want to check out the OM-21 Special.

Wide nut, pyramidal bridge, vintage tuners, etc.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OM21SP.htm
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

the OM28 vintage reissue is one of the finest instruments ive had the pleasure of playing (ive played two - 1 in pasadena CA and 1 at gryphon strings).  to this date it is my holy grail and i will be more than overjoyed come the day i can call one mine own.  :)   :+1: for the 28 vintage

the 21 is nice too but if price isnt an issue, i would wait for the right 28 vintage to come my way.  the neck is a modified V which is quite comfortable for finger style.   

Old Flames:
Silvercreek T-160
Taylor 214

I have a 1993 OM-21 and it has a 1 3/4 nut (seems slightly larger) and the 2 5/16 string spacing. I like the neck and the tone very much. Truly I have not played other OM's or 000's that sounded any richer or any more resonant than this one.
  And though it is simple in appointments the top has naturally aged very nicely and looks very much like a vintage Martin. I have considered better tuners. (mostly for looks) And I like rosewood necks.

Click on the picture and it will take you to more with my F-III and a 00-09FM that I sold to Tadol.
I do apologize for the pics quality, I'm learning how to take better ones, slowly.

Quote from: blindblakefan1 on October 14, 2009, 11:44:16 AM
Hello All.

I have enjoyed the recent discussions on this forum about going Larrivee-less and our Australian friend's waiting for the arrival of an OM-21 and also Jones-ing for a Santa Cruz guitar. I can relate, man.  :donut  

Gday mate,

You forgot to mention  my other GAS inducing guitars: A National Triolian, a Larrivee 00-50 and Gibson a ES-335.  :wink:

Ive played both, regarding the Martins. I wont down play the fact that the OM-28V is a magical guitar, but the neck would be a deal breaker for me. Bar chords up the neck where not made easier by the neck profile, and the string spacing at the bridge was also a bit wide for me. If you think an OM-21 neck is a bit beefy then you're not going to like the OM-28V. The later is also a bit darker sounding, I honestly think the OM-21 projects a little better than the OM-28V. But the OM-28V had a richer, sweeter tone. Not by much though.

And then theres the price difference. :wacko:

Check out the OM-21 special. Middle ground.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

It all comes down to a matter of personal preference and the V neck didn't do it for me either. For the money, the OM-21 is really hard to beat in Martin's current line-up.

For someone with a little extra cash over and above the OM-21, check out the Custom OM-35 listed at Maury's Music. Unlike the rosewood model, this guitar features a three piece mahogany back and no pickguard. I would love to hear it side by side next to mine.

That's great advice, guys, on the OM-21 vs the OM-28V. I appreciate those detailed responses. I didn't mean to denegrate the OM-21 at all. In fact, isn't that the guitar used on one of my fave albums, Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks?" Open D tuning throughout. And I agree that Dan's OM-21 looks really awesome.  :nice guitar: That pic just makes you want to pick it up and play the thing. There's actually a very nice OM-28V, in sunburst, available at elderly.com right now. I wish somebody would buy it so I could stop thinking about it. But I'm not about to sell my Taylor or Larrivee, so another Martin will just have to wait. But I'll be thinking seriously about the OM-21 and OM-28V in the future, and look forward to playing them. Thanks again for the thoughts. :donut :donut :coffee
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Also, great advice from Scott about checking out the OM-21 Special. I just had a look on the Web. Wow that is one fine guitar! Love to play one and see how it compares with the OM-21 and the OM-28V. I still have to check out the OM-35. Thanks again.
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

As point of clarification, the Standard Series OM-35 is no longer in production. The one I referenced from Maury's is listed as a custom OM-35 w/ mahogany top and sides. You can also get the OM-21 Special and I could have had one for the same price as my OM-35.

If you like Blind Blake and fingerstyle blues, you will love the OM and 000 series.

if you are anywhere near LA there's a Webber OM in the local Craigslist.. asking price is only $1,200.. that's a steal for a hand built instrument from a master...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/1423091587.html

caveat emptor, i have no affilation with this seller, etc etc....

d.

That Webber does look like it could be a good deal. I wonder if it's RW or MH?

I owned both at the same time for almost a year and found these basic differences between the OM-21 and OM-28V:

Feel - the 28V has a full size V-shape neck as opposed to the low profile neck found on the 21, and the 28V is slightly heavier so it has a more substantial feel.

Response - The 21 is lighter built so it's much more responsive to fingerstyle but it will fall apart faster under heavier strumming. The 21 is also more susceptible to feedback on stage.

Tone - this is very subjective but to my ear the 21 sounds brighter, whereas the 28V had more of that classic Martin growl I love.

In the end I sold both and ended with an OM-42. The 42 is a bit more responsive than the 28V but it can handle a flatpick much better than the 21 and the tone is to die for.

Ted
Ted

www.laguitarsales.com

Authorized dealer for: Larrivee - Blackbird - Breedlove - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - Martin - Rainsong - Ramirez -  Santa Cruz - Taylor

Ted, I appreciate those comments about the OM-21 vs OM-28V. The decision is quite subjective in so many ways. I appreciate the detail you went into on each guitar. I don't know too much about the OM-42 but would like to investigate. Actually I have a confession to make: I just made an impulse purchase on an OM-21 Special, on eBay. It will arrive next week. It's kind of in honor of my 50th birthday three weeks ago.   :rolleye:  It was Australia's Scott who planted that evil seed in my mind about the OM-21 Special. GAS is a terrible thing. I may have to part with my Taylor 12-string to help finance this new instrument. I'll get back to you after it arrives. (Scott, when is your OM-21 arriving?)

Matthew
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special

Quote from: blindblakefan1 on October 23, 2009, 04:15:09 PM

It was Australia's Scott who planted that evil seed in my mind about the OM-21 Special. GAS is a terrible thing. I may have to part with my Taylor 12-string to help finance this new instrument. I'll get back to you after it arrives. (Scott, when is your OM-21 arriving?)

Matthew

Matthew, Matthew, Matthew.

You've just publicly labeled me as an Enabler. I will now have to wear this reputation for the rest of my life. My recommendations will now be looked upon as a disguised attempt to get my fellow forum members to spend there hard earned cash on guitars they may or may not...."need". My reputation is.....Oooh. Never mind. We're pretty much all enablers here anyway!  :wink:

Congrats on the OM-21 Special, I think you'll be really happy. Mine (the OM-21 that is) is about 2-1/2 weeks away. Dont forget to post pics, we'll do a bit of a comparo.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Matt:

Congratulations and now that you are 50 (or 1/20th of a millennium if you prefer) what better way to celebrate your birthday than with a special guitar. I am confident that you will love your OM-21 Special and will be waiting to hear your comments. That guitar design is great for fingerstyle and has enough of a bark on the bass end to strum or pick. Smooth and balanced.

For my 50th, my wife and kids surprised me with the funds to purchase my LV-03MT 12-string and I had enough left over to put toward the Martin OM-35 Sunburst that I bought two years ago.

Thank you for the good wishes on the new guitar, Scott and TEH. It arrived on Saturday and I'm very happy with it. Guitar is in mint condition. I got very lucky on eBay with a seller named Warren who was very open and courteous. Wow, this instrument is beautiful, if I may say so. It is extremely comfortable for fingerstyle (nut feels even wider than 1-3/4" to me) and the body size makes it perfect to hold while sitting on the couch. I've got a feeling this guitar can do just about anything. It is really, really nice, and I will post some pics soon. Unfortunately I have barely had any time to play it because my weekend was so busy -- hosted a house concert and ran a 10K race among other things. To salve my guilt over the OM-21 Special I have decided to sell my Taylor 355 (12-string). I considered selling my Taylor 710 instead (Indian rosewood back and sides) but I like that guitar too much. I wish the OM-21 Special had butterbean-style tuners but that is my only quibble (and quite a minor one). And Scott, you are a MAJOR enabler, so I hope in future everybody approaches your advice with caution.  :humour:
Larrivee L-01
Taylor 710
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin OM-21 Special