Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 06 Eastman 801 across the bench  (Read 1079 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:03:19 PM »

OK I know this is an electric archtop but even having a mounted pickup it had really nice acoustic vol and tone.Over all a very nice guitar,classic archtop feel to the neck,finish wasn't overly thick and the fret work was nice.After 3 years it did need a fret dressing and I had to shave and radious the bridge bottom so I could get some hieght adjustment.The one falling of the guitar is the truss rod,at full tightening it still need quite a few more turns to adjust but the problem was that if tighten any more it would be doing serious damage to the neck.Cracks had  already appeared from being overtighten.I did an old trick of shaving down a couple of washers and after removing the nut and installing the washers I was able to add some adjustment room and this should aleve the stress cracks.Overall a nice piece from a company thats been building stringed instruments for a really long time.Please be aware of this truss rod problem as I have seen it before on other archtops and some of the newer flat tops. 

Also you all need to keep an ear out for the owner,Rick Lollar.When I first move to tallytown he was the 13 year old blues wiz.With age has come emence progress into all things.He's based in Atlanta and does a Jazz jam and like an idiot I didn't get the name of the club but suspect you can look it up in some entertainment mag.CHECK HIM OUT he's fantastic.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:48:10 PM »

Hi unclrob,

I rarely have anything to add to your "across the bench" posts, but I really appreciate that you do them.

You have really interesting insights and you often give me pause to think and ponder.

Thanks!

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »

Thanks ST and please feel free to post ?'s.I'm starting to see some of the newish guitars that everyone is talking about so I thought I'd comment on them.I mostly see the same old stuff more electrics then acoustics and oddly enough more bass's.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:44:22 AM »

Overall a nice piece from a company thats been building stringed instruments for a really long time.

I don't think they've been at it that long....maybe since the 90's?  I guess that's a long time unless you compare to Martin and Gibson....

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »

They've been building violins and such for about 50 years if I'm not mistaken.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »

You can read all about them here:

Eastman History on the Eastman web site.

It starts off:

"Eastman Strings was founded in 1992, yet it is already an integral part of the long and glorious history of one of the most fascinating musical traditions the world has known. Through our violin and bow making activities, we at Eastman Strings are attached to a tradition nearly 500 years old, and we strive to maintain a level of artistic and commercial achievement worthy of our predecessors. "

Then you have to read through three pages of the modern history of violin making in general. Then you get to the fourth page

"In 1992, Qian Ni, who had come to the United States from China to study music, founded Eastman Strings. In the beginning, he and his two musician colleagues bought instruments from Western-trained violin makers from their home town in China, but before long, they saw that a different approach was needed. Mr. Ni hired a group of established master violinmakers, and with their help, he established a large master violin workshop devoted to the handcrafting of instruments—one of the first the world had known since the first half of the 20th century. In the short time since this workshop was founded, the reputation of Eastman Strings' instruments for tonal quality and craftsmanship excellence has become a worldwide standard. After establishing the instrument making workshop, Qian Ni went on to found a bow making workshop based on the same principals. In both workshops, master makers train and oversee talented woodworkers to create some of the world's finest student, step-up, and professional instruments and bows.

Today, the instrument and bow making workshops of Eastman Strings operate in precisely the same manner as late 19th century European workshops. They have virtually no power tools aside from the band saws used to cut out the necks and the outlines of the tops and backs of instruments. Chisels, knives, gouges, and scrapers, in the hands of outstandingly gifted craftspeople, are the primary tools used to create these modern instruments and bows, using methods centuries old. Thanks to Eastman Strings, string players today have advantages unknown to earlier generations: quality instruments, bows, and cases available world-wide at affordable prices.

An exciting new chapter in the history of violin and bow making is being written in our own time. We at Eastman Strings are excited to be contributing to it through both our revival of traditional Old World methods, and our pioneering of new materials and methods in the construction of bows and cases. We invite you to join us in the making of musical history."

At a glance it really feels as though they are deeply imbued with traditions and experience of those 19th century European workshops. It almost feels as though they (Eastman) have been building violins since that time.  Nice piece of writing.

Please note: I am not being critical of anyone or anything here. I am just observing that based on this article and the way it has been repeated here and there on the web, it is not surprising that this company has created the sense that it has a long history.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »

ST Thanks I love history.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: