Best guitar you've ever played?

Started by J. Hunter, October 06, 2009, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on November 12, 2009, 11:24:36 PM
Huh?

Simply one of the most respected female builders.  :rolleye:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Sherry
Martin 00-28VS Custom "Rosaleen"
Larrivee' P-03MT "Petunia"

My favorite sound came from my Husbands Martin 0000-28H... loved the sound but it was too big for me to play comfortably :( 
Sherry
Martin 00-28VS Custom "Rosaleen"
Larrivee' P-03MT "Petunia"

The best electric I ever played was a Westone Pantera that I bought while I was still touring in the 80's. It sounded great and played great. It could do the Les Paul humbucking thing or the Strat single-coil with equal ease. It never went out of tune, even with aggressive whammy bar usage.That guitar was stolen when my house was broken into 10 years ago.
The nicest archtop I ever played was a 90's Epiphone Emperor Regent (made in Korea). It was a tonally remarkable instrument both acoustically and electrified. Even though the price was too high for a used instrument, I bought it immediately after playing it in the store. I can't adequately describe the sound, but I had never heard a guitar like it before or since... and it played "like butter". It was also stolen during the aforementioned robbery.
Although I'm still in awe of the 12th Fret LSV-03R and the Forum III LSV-03, the nicest acoustic guitar I've ever played - both sound-wise and for ease of playing is the LS-19 I bought from Randy Rick. It covers all the bases for me and it's a keeper.
Thanks, Randy!   :nice guitar:

dg

Quote from: Zohn on November 13, 2009, 05:56:33 AM
Simply one of the most respected builders.  :rolleye:

Fixed.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

I've played some monster guitars. But that doesn't, imho, make them the best.

My Martin D-42 will be the last musical anything I will depart with. Comfy to play, great sound for music I play. I can fill a room with sound. It can dig in for heavy bass. Perfect for me.

I love the balance of my Martin HD-28LSV, but it can be loud if you don't keep it reeled in some. Gotta be able to sing over it! But it is a great guitar to record with, due to the balance in tone.
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

My new Martin OM-21. Its the best guitar Ive ever played! (ducks for cover.....) I LOVE IT!  :nana_guitar

Cheers, Scott.

(TheformerLarriveeOM-03RownerwhohasfartoomuchtosayabouthisnewMartinOM-21!)
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on November 20, 2009, 07:37:36 AM
My new Martin OM-21. Its the best guitar Ive ever played! (ducks for cover.....) I LOVE IT!  :nana_guitar

Cheers, Scott.

(TheformerLarriveeOM-03RownerwhohasfartoomuchtosayabouthisnewMartinOM-21!)
I wondered if this might happen.

Quote from: dependan on November 20, 2009, 08:53:31 AM
  I wondered if this might happen.

Hehehe..... :whistling: Be proud Danny, you made a great recommendation. It fits me like a well worn glove. Thanks mate.  :wink:

Its OK though, I still regularly G.A.S. for Larrivees too.  :bowdown:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

I am just glad you got a well made one. It will only get better now.

I went to see the young man who owns my 1st Larrivee today. It is a LV-03R bearclaw and it had been awhile since I had seen him. After a lot of catch up banter I said "So  are you still liking the Larrivee?" He said with a smile "OH yeah, it's the one I have sitting out so I can play it all the time."
   Actually I was hoping that he may want to do some swapping for a Gibson or something else I have. I just would like to have that one back. But I'm glad he is enjoying still. (Almost 2 years now)
             The good ones just speak for themselves.

I got to play John Standefer's custom L-Body as he was fiddling with his Ultrasonic amp during sound check.  Sure was pretty but I have to admit, the sound wasn't too far off of my humble L-03 from what I could tell.  It did play 'easier' as I'm sure he keeps it dialed in from a setup point, whereas I mess with my action and setup rarely.

Also, a guy at church has a 50's era little bodied Gibson acoustic that just sings and plays like butter.  I don't know what the model number is, but I love playing that thing.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

When I bought my L-09 I went through 2 dozen guitars and maybe 6  really stuck out.

The nicest Martin was an OM-28 Marquis. I liked the 'Clapton' and the D-21 Special too.
I really liked the Collings OM2H with the deep body - it sounded similar to the L-09!
I have played Goodall's and Santa Cruz's in the past the were Wow!, but not this time.

Quite the 'best' was a Froggy Bottom - some sort of OM with Braz and Ady I think. Wow! in looks, tone and feel. OMG in price!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

What?  No mention of Huss & Dalton?  I haven't played many "high-end" guitars but a spruce/hog 00-SP I played years ago is definitely the best. 

"Best" perhaps aims too high.  There are way too many uncontrolled variables, including the space in which the guitar was being played, style of playing in context of what the instrument can handle, even stringing. 

We'd also have to agree on what we were trying to measure here:  responsiveness, dynamic range, playability/action/feel, expressivity/musicality, tone etc.

We are all SO lucky to live in a golden age, great luthiers around the world and marvelous players, with communicational tools which allow us to learn about the guitars and hear them played.

All that said, right now my favorite instrument is a 2001 Froggy Bottom K (adi/Bastogne walnut) bought used.
It's supremely well-balanced, articulate, nimble.  "Just right." 

But there's always another guitar around the corner, with its own special voice.  That's true of the Larrivee parlor we just picked up, as well as the Martins and other Froggies which have come to live with us.  ENJOY.

Played an Olson at a get together at photomat's a while back.  It was unbelievable.  :thumb
Steve ....aka the SMan

I played a 12 fret 000 David Webber that was unbelievable.   For the money, my vote goes towards the Martin OM-21.  Fantastic tone and response, and one of the best values in the Martin line in my opinion.

Quote from: 01strat on December 17, 2009, 01:02:25 AM
....  For the money, my vote goes towards the Martin OM-21.  Fantastic tone and response, and one of the best values in the Martin line in my opinion.
I'll 2cnd that

I stand by my judgment that the Froggy Bottom Om type has been  the 'best', (defined as most unforgettable due to excellent qualities) but I may have  found amazing competition. Played a Martin 00-28VS that was WOW! Incredibly responsive, beautiful tone, a neck that knocks out Taylor.  MMMMM sweet!

Also played a Martin Ditson Dreadnought 333. WOW! Again!!
Now I have to go play an SD-50 and -60. Is that what the fuss is about?!

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Goodalls were the first guitar that made me aware of the small shop/botique guitar sound, something beyond my entry level Martin.  The big rich warm sound and lush overtones really grabbed me.  Same with the few Ryans i have played, rich/warm lush sound, when i play the treble strings i never think they sound to thin.  I love my own Alberico OM for alot of the same reasons, though its perhaps not as rich sounding at times as the above guitars, depends on my nail shape and condition.  To me it has a great balance of richness and clarity.  There are some good recordings of it on my webpage. I have been fortunate to have the chance to play two Claxtons.  Those are amazing instruments, i dont know how he pulls such responsiveness, richness, and tone out of such a small and lightly built guitar.  To bad they cost as much as my car. 

I guess come to think of it i can't narrow down my favorite guitar to just one.  I like em all, and feel fortunate to own a special one.

Anton