Best guitar you've ever played?

Started by J. Hunter, October 06, 2009, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An old question, but one always worth revisiting.  Obviously, "best guitar" is difficult to qualify, so instead of that, what about this: "What guitar has made the strongest impression on you?", or "What guitar has blown you away more than any other guitar?", or "if you could only have one guitar for the rest of your life....", or "if you could sell your soul for one guitar..."--you get the point.  Out of all the guitars you've played, which one killed you the most?  Make, model, time, place?

Full disclosure: I'm lifting this question from the acoustic guitar forum, but I'm curious to see what people here have to say.  I was reading some peoples posts over there, and was trying to think which guitar was "the one" for me.  There's been a few that stand out, of course - the first Larrivee I ever played (an LV-09) , and a Sergei de Jonge presentation model that made me feel inadequate.  But I wasn't quite sure how to answer the question until this weekend. 

I've been puzzling about the hype around Collings guitars, but I had the opportunity to spend a little time on Sunday with an OM1 Mh sp very much like this one:

http://www.collingsguitars.com/videoplayer.php?ID=13

My god. 

I need to make more money.  That's all there is to it.

Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster

Well I'm immiediately going to disect the question apparently. I think there can be a difference between a guitar that has blown you away the most and the "if you could only have one guitar the rest of your life" guitar.  Blown away can happen very quickly before you really know guitar. A different tone can be fresh to your ears. And it may indeed be great but to really know how it's going to respond to me takes time. How many different kinds of music do you play and does it adapt well to all? My old L-10 blew me away from the start, and has been the gift that keeps on giving    (30 years next year!) Yea I've heard guitars that have sounded great and maybe better for certain things but often after exploring they have weak points. Lose something up the neck, mushy tone
down the neck or open, harder to coax soft sounds out of, or harder to get stinging blues out of. Best guitar ever made? I'm sure not, but having a guitar that leaves you satisfied and gasless for 30 years is pretty damx good. So I think I got lucky. Married my high school sweetheart and it worked out.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

This is easy for me...MARTIN 0-45S STEPHEN STILLS

I played one at the Martin Factory this spring, it got me on the first note.

Here's one at Elderly;        http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elderly.com%2Fnew_instruments%2Fitems%2F045SSS.htm&ei=5zHMSt2uFJOxtgfSl-DhAQ&usg=AFQjCNFab-IfqTjMf4pbV_qm22RpzhapGg&sig2=LU3oB8d_8DxSPW9fCjJe2Q

I played many guitars in my life, and the two that left a lasting impression I must say were a 1985 Martin D-45 Sitka/Braz. This is a link to that guitar.
http://www.hughsfineguitars.co.za/1985-D45-Vintage-Brazilian.htm
The other one was Brian Doerksen's Olson SJ Cedar/Indian Rosewood.

Quote from: dependan on October 07, 2009, 01:18:21 AM
                 This is easy for me...MARTIN 0-45S STEPHEN STILLS

I played one at the Martin Factory this spring, it got me on the first note.

:+1: Danny - I played one of those too, and it was indeed a cracker!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

There was an old Martin 35 slothead dread at a guitar show once - man, that guitar could bring on judgment day.

My Martin HJ-38 Madagascar/Sitka Jumbo
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Lowden O10. Not the most expensive or high end compared to what's out there. Superb in every way though for fingerpicking styles.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: bhika on October 07, 2009, 07:39:12 AM
My Martin HJ-38 Madagascar Jumbo

This being the Larrivee Forum and all, I have to say there are times, like this morning, when I think my L-05MT is the best guitar I've ever played.
It's hard to beat that funky, mellow, bassy tone, with the accompanying midrange drone and clear trebles that is the Larrivee HOG TOP SOUND.
jeff

acoustic guitars-Larrivee OM03PA.39 Martin D45.Lefty Olsen SJ.ANY pre Fender Guild JF30 6 and 12.
acoustic archtops-48+49 Gibson L7's.Bozo small body archtop that I tried at a guitar show

electric solid body-My 3 pickup partscaster.61 Fender Telecaster.
electric hollowbody-63 Gibson ES330,05 EpiphoneOlympic regent with a Fralin P92 pickup

Bass's-67 Gretsch 6071,51 Fender P-bass,68 Fender P-Bass,59 Gibson EB1{the violin body},65 Guild Starfire.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Well here goes. For all intents and purposes, my 1975 Larrivée L. I've played most of the WAY more expensive ones, Ryans and tigers and bears oh my and ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :arrow

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 07, 2009, 11:22:54 AM
Ryans and tigers and bears oh my

You sure do come up with some good ones Duck.
jeff

A Paul Jacobsen classical (built in Cleveland, MO). My teacher's wife owned one and he let me play it one time. I also got to play his Ramirez. The Jacobsen wins hands down!!! :+1:

fred
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I can honestly say the best guitar I've ever played is the Larrivee I own right now.  Sure, if you're the kind to get technical, it's also one of the only all-wood guitars I've ever played (no Collings, or Froggy Bottom, or Bourgeois, or McPherson, or other brands I'll never be able to afford).  In it's own way, that makes me a very lucky man.
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Bourgeois OM (Adirondack and Madegascar)
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

The guitar that I fell in love with was in Nazareth, PA at the Martin Factory. It was a signature Stephen Stills Guitar in the petting area.

A MARTIN 0-45S STEPHEN STILLS LIMITED EDITION GUITAR

here is a link to pics of it . . .

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/045SSS.htm

One fine instrument!!
Larrivee L_03RE
Larrivee OM_03R
PRS Soapbar
Boneyard Les Paul
Custom Strat

"It will be a great day when the schools get all the money that they need and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber."
                  --Bumper Sticker

Everytime I go in and buy strings, I play a few Taylors, Gibsons, Martins. I always love the Martin D35. I'm thinking of selling my L-05 for one, I hate to say.
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

I mentioned a D-35S, which was grand, but really the best I've played is my classical.
Keith Adams (small Illinois luthier) in cedar/rosewood. Didn't want to brag, but it
really is something.

Quote from: Bailey on October 07, 2009, 01:47:50 PM
The guitar that I fell in love with was in Nazareth, PA at the Martin Factory. It was a signature Stephen Stills Guitar in the petting area.

A MARTIN 0-45S STEPHEN STILLS LIMITED EDITION GUITAR

here is a link to pics of it . . .

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/045SSS.htm

One fine instrument!!
I think I hear echo's in this thread :winkin:

I get it. This is the Larrivée Forum but since the thread is in Other Guitar Makers, the answer is supposed to be anything but a Larrivée.  :rolleye:

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 07, 2009, 04:08:46 PM
I get it. This is the Larrivée Forum but since the thread is in Other Guitar Makers, the answer is supposed to be anything but a Larrivée.  :rolleye:
Well be a gentlemen and send that 75 down to Tejas so we can change our posts.