Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alaskan Finger pick opinion  (Read 701 times)
webberink

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:14 PM »

I have been on a finger pick solution hunt for years.  I prefer to finger pick with modest nails and make string contact with a combination of nail and flesh in my finger style work.  But I can't for the life of me grow or keep nails.  I have tried every kind of artificial solution known but nothing works well form me.  My current solution is a plastic thumb pick with extremely light gauge Dunlop brass finger picks.  Not bad but I am still looking.  I have run across Alaskan picks, a plastic under the nail jobby.  Any one have any advice about them.  You can view them at http://www.alaskapik.com/
Dave
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
Bailey

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »

I got two sets of these and modified them to fit my fingers. I tried everything to get them to work because I really liked the concept. I tried reshaping, taping, and heating, but could not get them to work without falling off my finger. I think if you have longer nails it would help hold them in place, but if you have longer nails who needs the picks! I'm still looking for the perfect finger pick.  Good Luck!

Larrivee L_03RE
Larrivee OM_03R
PRS Soapbar
Boneyard Les Paul
Custom Strat

"It will be a great day when the schools get all the money that they need and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber."
                  --Bumper Sticker
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »

I tried too and no go...get a set of Propicks with the finger tip opening...they rock

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »

Thats helpful info, thanks to both of you.  I have visited the propik site and they have the open finger style available in both solid and split wrap around versions.  Any advice as to which stays on your fingers best??  Also I take it you are recomending the open finger version made out of nickel steel?
Thanks
Dave

PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:08:30 PM »

pro-piks are great, I prefer the split wrap as it is easier to fine tune the fit.
I discovered Fred Kelly freedom picks. They are absolutely the best, just like a finger nail and no under the nail pain like the Alaskas.
I can strum and/or pick with them. The work well for ukulele strumming too.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »

pro-piks are great, I prefer the split wrap as it is easier to fine tune the fit.
I discovered Fred Kelly freedom picks. They are absolutely the best, just like a finger nail and no under the nail pain like the Alaskas.
I can strum and/or pick with them. The work well for ukulele strumming too.

I wish the Fred Kelly picks were not so expensive.

L-03 Italian Spruce
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:52:13 PM »

Well I ordered some propiks, I will report in when I get em.
Thanks folks
Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: