L R Baggs Element/Active

Started by hadden, September 25, 2009, 10:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm mulling over the purchase of a guitar that has one of these, and I'm thinking I might want to remove it. Is the installation invasive -- can it be removed easily?  I don't want to make an offer on a guitar if this is going to be a problem.  
L-03 Italian Spruce

It should just pop on out.You will need to get an end pin from Larrivee,if they can't help let me know and I'll send you one.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks unclrob  :thumb
L-03 Italian Spruce

There are two applications of the active Element. One that is non-invasive and you would be able to remove it completely. The other would be invasive and have a hole cut in the side of the guitar for an adjustment panel. You should probably verify which unit comes with the guitar.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Dale_I on September 25, 2009, 02:59:08 PM
There are two applications of the active Element. One that is non-invasive and you would be able to remove it completely. The other would be invasive and have a hole cut in the side of the guitar for an adjustment panel. You should probably verify which unit comes with the guitar.

I've seen pics and there's no cut-out.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Looks like this might be the product it has installed:
http://lrbaggs.com/html/products/systems_element.shtml

If you want, tag on the install instructions and you can see what it would take to remove it. However, you should be able to go back to "au naturel" fairly easy.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

What's the problem with that pick-up though? I have one in my I-mix system alongside an I-beam, and I had a stand-alone active-element in my Smooth talker which I found to be great!?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on October 04, 2009, 04:36:49 AM
What's the problem with that pick-up though? I have one in my I-mix system alongside an I-beam, and I had a stand-alone active-element in my Smooth talker which I found to be great!?

The seller decided they didn't want to send to Canada. I wasn't going to be using the pickup so I didn't want all that stuff in the guitar. I also didn't want anything under the saddle.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Keep in mind that this is an under the saddle pick up and as such the saddle height has been trimmed down to accommodate the thickness of the pick up ribbon. The best solution for removal is to make and install a new bone saddle. The new saddle will be taller than the one taken out of the guitar by the thickness of the pick up. Once in the guitar the new saddle will provide the same action as the old with the pick up under it. This is a good time for a pro set up to tweak the intonation and action on the new saddle. Shamless plug for good techs all over the country and the two here on the forum!
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com