Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Fishman solo impressions  (Read 1258 times)
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:01:19 AM »

Couple of weeks ago M.F. sent me a discount coupon. It made me feel very special. (In other words I'm sure you all got the same 20% off coupon!) So The last day it was valid, in fact the last hour
I ordered The Fishman solo amp. Been so busy just now checking it out. So quickly before I go play some more, here's my thoughts.
Mic'd guitar or vocals pretty good. Not super rich but warm. Plenty of power for it's purpose. Nice reverb. I really like the speaker set up with stand and the sound dispersion. And of course it's small and easy to set up.
 The weak point, though not surprising, to me is the way a piezo pick up sounds through it. It sounds like, well, it's a piezo pickup. It's a rare quality in an amp that can take a piezo pick up and not have it sound so much like one. In the 80's when the Martin Thinlines or most others were terrible, I hauled around my huge 67 Fender Dual showman. After that I used a couple of other smaller tube amps, then into PA. So this didn't surprise me. HOWEVER please don't cry for me..........
 The Brozman  400RA PA/AMP I got a couple years ago sounds great. Much more rich for mic's or pickups. Not exactly like tubes but getting there. It also has all the ins and out you could want (let alone 5 independent chans, 3 of them accepting XLR's) So when I bridge over to AUX in on Fishman, now we're talkin. Because of the flexibility of RA 400 I can send everything over or control
which chans and how much of each chan I want to send over. So I can make it stereo if I choose.
 The front end of RA 400 provides much better sound than front end of Fishman so now fishman speakers sounding pretty good. Still not as full as RA 400 but brings out the highs well and and the sound dispersion factor of being more balanced through out room is great.
 Why didn't I just get line array speakers? Couldn't find any that were powered. I could have hauled along an extra amp for some, but that would have defeated the purpose of easy. Gotta go.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
bayoubengal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »

Hey Flatlander!

That sounds like a good way to use the SoloAmp, in conjunction with the RA 400 (full disclosure here...I bought the RA 400 after exchanging emails with Bob Brozman and having a phone conversation with flatlander). I ended buying the Schertler Side Powered Speaker to use for outdoor shows where more dispersion is necessary, but the SoloAmp is a good solution as well.

I think you would be ready to handle most anything with that rig!   

1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2007 Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage
2014 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
2006 Santa Cruz Guitar Company RS
2013 Martin Jeff Tweedy DB-00
http://www.patrickcoopermusic.com
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »

Hey Cajun! Yea the RA sounds great and smokes the solo amp in sound but as I guess you concluded as well, the dispersion is nice. This set-up sounds killer. My wife came out to music room this morning and asked " what's that solo amp"? I quickly explained that it was on sale and how I'd thought it out and all the good stuff. Then I said just listen. Her tastes aren't as rootsey as mine, so
I picked a favorite of hers " Stand By Me" and played it.  She was floored by the sound. She said, yea it got my attention the first 5 seconds. So I'm a happy boy.  And so is she, well happy girl.

dave42

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:46:01 AM »

I couldn't get it to sound good...until I found the tweeter volume knob on the back. It was turned up to the max. I turned it down to about half, and the tone was much better!
Good luck!

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »

I thought the SoloAmp sounded pretty dang good with my K&K Trinity equipped 000-60. It just wasn't enough for a trio. I purchased the Bose L1 Model II with a ToneEngine and a single bass module for the trio. If I was playing with just me and a guitar I'd grab a Fishman for sure. A small powered sub in conjunction with the Fishman should suffice for most small pub/coffeehouse gigs, in a really light package. Also, Bose has the Compact out at the same list as the Solo amp. The cool thing is solo performers and small roots type duo and trios now have a LOT more ways to get quality sound reinforcement in small lightweight packages! Win-Win!
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »

I couldn't get it to sound good...until I found the tweeter volume knob on the back. It was turned up to the max. I turned it down to about half, and the tone was much better!
Good luck!
Yea, I played with that right off. It works out great in combination. It brings out highs well while other unit is more rubust. No luck needed at this point. These two small units can deliver
quality sound, dispersed and plenty of volume, what 400+200 watts. Enough inputs to do a whole band if it ever came to that.

ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:58:12 AM »

I played one of my own instrumentals for my son and his wife at their wedding.  It was outside for one hundred and fifty people.  I deliberated quite a bit as to whether I should rent an add on high powered speaker, but chose not to.  It worked out very well, but the volume was all the way up; if it had been windy I probably would have regretted not having the extra power.  The day was calm and absolutely gorgeous.  The Solo Amp sounds just like the guitar unplugged only loader, and with the way it's designed the sound is dispersed very well.  It's really meant to be used inside, or outside for smaller gatherings, but in a small to medium sized hall it is more than adaquate.  I don't use any add on effects, or need any extra bass, although I would like to try adding a bass unit one day just to check it out.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »

I do need to play around with solo amp to see if I can make guitars with piezo pickups more natural. I jumped pretty quickly over to "using it as an extension" mode. I didn't use  additional preamps or eq, for example yet. The RA 400 doesn't need them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: