Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 000-Beater $99  (Read 3067 times)
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 05:43:20 AM »

Anybody try mediums yet?

I put on some EXP17's last night, and the difference is pretty remarkable.    Better tone and volume.   It sounded great fingerpicked, but at first I thought it sounded bad strummed.    Turned out the strings weren't broken in yet and I was just out of tune.   blush    Tuned up, and I'm very happily fingerpicking and strumming.

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »

Howdy all!

I finally got the chance to sit down and do some recordings of the Silvercreek....let me know what you think.  I wasn't sure it was sounding too good while playing these tunes...but I feel like they sound pretty good on the recordings.

I broke this down into 2 sections...one with bare fingers and on with the thumb pick...its just a couple of verses of a number of tunes...I'd like to hear your opinions

Barefingers: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8334318
This includes portions of Spike Drivers Blues, Can't be satisfied, Wilson Rag...etc.

Thumbpick: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8334317
This includes portions of Cocaine, You gotta see your mama, nighttime is the right time etc...

And here is a complete version of MJH's CC rider...capo 1: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8334316

Cheers,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »

Nice Playing Blue, the guitar sounds good too.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
jshowyin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »

Blue,

Always a pleasure to hear you play. Enjoyed it a lot.   

"Faith"    2009 Larrivee FIII LSV-03HB (IS/Hog)
cc407

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

SOunds really nice - great playing also. I can hear the difference with your rosewood over my T-160 mahogany.
Really rich sounding guitars - I think they got the bracing right.
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »

Thanks guys...I appreciate the feed back...this is really a fun guitar to play...the neck fits my hand just right.  I feel like the RW back and sides demand a little more control over string damping than a Hog guitar.....for instance I seem to get a lot more string/finger noise from this guitar....mahogany guitars just seem a little more forgiving of less than perfect technique....but maybe that is just me...

I'm really enjoying playing it thats for sure....I just hope I find a rebate check in my mailbox some day soon....anyone received theirs yet?

Cheers,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 12:09:49 AM »

Nice playing, Blue!    Do I remember you saying that you put some ultra-light 10's on yours?   If so, that's a massive sound with those strings -- I'll have to try that.

I haven't received my rebate yet, but I did send an email to their rebate support center.     They sent a reply saying they received my rebate app, and I qualified.    FWIW.

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob
Wannabee

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 12:57:50 AM »

I have a T-160 and a T-170.Both are very good guitars,amazing for the price.Igot mine at stupid deal price. Great for outdoors or wherever you don't want to take your Larrivees.  The T-160,I set it up for a gigging guitar;light guage strings,an LR Baggs LB6 pickup(like James Taylor uses)and an old style LR Baggs deluxe acoustic preamp I bought on ebay for$50.It sounds unbelievable plugged in! It has that James Taylor's guitar sound I was after.Of,course that is the sound of the pickup mostly,not the guitar.You could string up a 2x4 and use that pickup/preamp  and it would sound good. But it sounds good unplugged also.Actually,I probably prefer the sound (tone) of the T-160 over the T-170.The T-160 is warmer,the T-170 more bell-like. The T-160 is advertised as Mahogany,but my opinion is that it is sapele(I am definitely not knocking sapele,I happen to like sapele.Of course,I like mahogany too).The T-160 does strumming and finger picking equally well.The T-170 is more suited to finger picking than strumming.Actually I keep the T-170 tuned in C G D G A D. Anyway,they are good guitars,but of course,not in the same league as our Larrivee's.
cc407

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

r....mahogany guitars just seem a little more forgiving of less than perfect technique....

...I just hope I find a rebate check in my mailbox some day soon....anyone received theirs yet?

If the mahog in more forgiving, then I chose the right guitar!

No rebate check yet...
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »

Gitnoob...my strings of choice are Curt Mangan Light Pbs....I think they are 12-54s...I got them through Littlebrother's site and they are my all time favorites.

Glad to hear that you have had some response on your rebate,,,,keeping my fingeres crossed.

Cheers,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: