RS4 Electric it looks sweet sounds Awesome What's wrong???

Started by JOYCEfromNS, September 30, 2009, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 22, 2009, 06:22:02 AM
Congrats. That's absolutley gorgeous Mike! So ... what's wrong with it?  :wink:

ducktrapper,

I suspect you're alluding to the fact that it's 'backwards'?  The guy who manages the local guitar shop calls me "wrong-way" - his pet nickname for me!  And I turn right around and give him crap for never stocking any decent left-handed guitars - and when I ordered this one, I said, "See, you make me wait and wait and wait for something decent!"

Anyway, here are some pics, finally. They prove two things - that Larrivee makes beautiful guitars, and I am one LOUSY photographer, not worthy to snap pictures of these works of art!  But to give you an idea of the woodgrain and color...but these simply don't do it justice!!! Sorry!  :arrow

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

And a few more...

sorry, the coloring on the back looks so orange - it's really much richer and more light brown than the pics. Front is so much more beautiful, too.

WOW Mike !   Thanks for the photos.   Cheers for the Rootbeer Burst  :cheers
LS-30
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

Quote from: scdreger on December 22, 2009, 03:11:55 PM

So now that we have a little community here of RS-4 players...

What amps are you all using?

But I am considering several amps. The top of the list as of now are the Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue, and a VOX AC15CC1.

The Princeton Reissue 'sounds like' an excellent choice - read nothing but rave reviews about it...haven't tried it. You also asked about the Blues Jr., and I just sold mine, but it's really a good amp...I just like the tone of my Gibson GA15-RV better.  I'm also playing (in worship) a Carr Rambler that I feel very blessed to own (see pic)...it has cured my amp gas for anything except a Carr Slant 6V, and I won't be getting one of those anytime soon - the head lists for $3150!

Everyone has their favorite amps, and really, a lot of it comes down to style of music. My son has a Peavey JSX head and a Carvin Legacy 412 cab (with Vintage 30's in it - same speaker as my Gibson); I can't wait to plug the RS-4 into that and see what happens!

I also have a Vibro Champ, but I haven't plugged the RS-4 into it yet. And finally, I have a custom built Trutone 210 combo which is a Peavey Classic 50 head and 2 Eminence Copperhead speakers (2 pics below) - I did plug into that for a while last night, and it was excellent - best guitar I've heard through that amp other than my #1 Strat.

For pedals (other than a Boss Tuner) I stick with two: A Full Drive 2 and a Boss RV-3 Reverb Delay (used occasionally for delay effect). At home I use a Zoom PD-01 Power Drive (overdrive) pedal into which ever amp I'm playing through for everything from nice, light crunch and overdriven lead tones.

Mikeymac, WOW... that is one sweet looking guitar.   :nice guitar: I am drwan to the lefties myself.   :+1:
How soon before we get to hear an audio clip of it?  :guitar
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

Quote from: Big E on December 22, 2009, 06:39:01 PM
How soon before we get to hear an audio clip of it?  :guitar

I'm not techie enough to post any soundclips, don't have the equipment to do that right now, sorry...someone else here will have to help us out with that!  :guitar

Wow. That's it, just wow.

I just spent a couple more hours playing my RS-4 through my Rambler and my Fulltone Fulldrive 2.

Amazing.  

This guitar has "it" ... that special "it" that pushes you to keep finding more tones in it and you play it and push it. The proof is in riding the volume and tone knobs...lower the volume a little - it backs off the drive of the pedal.  Turn the tone control up a little; more bark, more bite, more character! Middle position; tweak volume knobs - all kinds of usable tones in there. Some doube humbucker guitars just sound blah in the middle position, especially with overdrive.  This one actually has nice tones that don't turn to mush.

More proof: I just got done playing a bunch of tunes I haven't played in months - maybe years (Funk # 49; Free Ride)! And this thing can do some nice long scale bolt on stuff (Layla) as well as the LP stuff (Black Dog - although Page may have played that on a Tele).

All to say - yes, these pickups are awesome - just like the rest of the guitar.

One caveat - some players may have to adjust to the wider 1 3/4" nut width, and the compound radius fingerboard - it's a little flatter than some electric players may be used to.  It feels a lot like my OM-05 fingerboard, and several of my Warmoths have 1 3/4" nuts, so I like it.

CORRECTION: the nut is 1 11/16" - and I measured mine, it's just a hair wider than that...just feels very full in your hand, but very comfortable (to me).

Edited to Add: While I was playing tonight, I suddenly remembered the best (lefty) Les Paul I ever played - it was an R7 goldtop in Nashville around 5 years ago...I wanted that guitar so bad, but I didn't have the $2,400 (then; now they're around $3,400, street).  It had Burstbucker pickups in it, and it was sweet, it was nasty, it was "it".  This guitar reminds me of that R7.

I got a big smile on my face, just sitting there remembering, and realizing this guitar in my arms was every bit as good as that one that "got away".

Thanks for pics of Root Beer.  :nice guitar:
I uploaded sound clip of my RS-4 at http://enjoy1.bb-east.ne.jp/~butao/RS4/RS4.html
Please listen it.
Larrivee RS-4 Tobacco Sunburst (2009)
Larrivee Parlour (2004)

Quote from: butao on December 23, 2009, 09:19:32 AM
Thanks for pics of Root Beer.  :nice guitar:
I uploaded sound clip of my RS-4 at http://enjoy1.bb-east.ne.jp/~butao/RS4/RS4.html
Please listen it.

Nice clip - which pickup/s were you using? What microphone is that, and how did you record it? (I'm itching to figure out how to load some sound clips of this thing!)

:bowdown: (And that Tobacco burst just looks fantastic - wow - what a classic look.  That's why my P-90 version is going to be a Tobacco burst!)  :thumb

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 23, 2009, 12:34:06 AM
Wow. That's it, just wow.

I got a big smile on my face, just sitting there remembering, and realizing this guitar in my arms was every bit as good as that one that "got away".

It just don't get any better than that!!!!   :+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Beautiful Mike! No shot at the sinister, I was just alluding to the original thread title.

Amps? Fender Blues Deluxe RI, Fender Princeton Chorus, Fender Frontman 15. On the horizon, because they look good and they're Canadian made, I've been looking at Mackamps Heatseeker 18, Skyraider 15 and the 4 or 0.4 watt Gem. 

http://www.mackamps.com/products-Heatseeker-HS18/

http://www.mackamps.com/products-Skyraider-SR15/

http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/

You guys are killing me.

All these pictures and the glowing reviews - are like bam pow socko ! but my mind is wandering.

As time has gone on, I have spent more and more time with my acoustic guitars than the electrics.

I haven't looked lately but I think that in a post apocalypse situation I could probably get more heat breaking down the electrics than the acoustics  around here. That  pot-belly stove in the corner seems to be leering in an evil grin at times but my mind is wandering.

I haven't bought an electric guitar in four or five years.  The only electric I have ever wanted that I don't now own is a Tueffel Bird Fish that I got to play back in 2006, but again my mind is wandering.

I picked up an RS4 a few months ago. Picked up as in physically held in my hands picked up. It was lovely but I consciously asked myself, "Would I choose to play this over anything else I've got? Is there anything at home I would sell to get this?" No and no.  

Perhaps the RS4 came along too late for me. Too bad. It looks like I would be in great company if I had one.

Tueffel Bird Fish
[/url

Quote from: ST on December 23, 2009, 12:24:36 PM
You guys are killing me.

All these pictures and the glowing review - are like bam pow socko ! but my mind is wandering.

As time has gone on, I have spent more and more time with my acoustic guitars than the electrics.

I haven't looked lately but I think that in a post apocalypse situation I could probably get more heat breaking down the electrics than the acoustics  around here. That  pot-belly stove in the corner seems to be leering in an evil grin at times but my mind is wandering.

I haven't bought an electric guitar in four or five years.  The only electric I have ever wanted that I don't now own is a Tueffel Bird Fish that I got to play back in 2006, but again my mind is wandering.

I picked up an RS4 a few months ago. Picked up as in physically held in my hands picked up. It was lovely but I consciously asked myself, "Would I choose to play this over anything else I've got? Is there anything at home I would sell to get this?" No and no.  

Perhaps the RS4 came along too late for me. Too bad. It looks like I would be in great company if I had one.

Tueffel Bird Fish
[/url

Whoah! Are we talking playing in public? And people make fun of my 80's Larrivée electric? Matthew called it hideous. I bet it's a cool guitar but I'll stick with the RS-4.  :whistling:

i;m playing a carol ann od-2 100, and will be gting a carol an revo 100!  great amps!

Quote from: scdreger on December 22, 2009, 03:11:55 PM
Congrats!!!  :thumb

I am sure you will love it even more the more you play it. I love mine more every day!!!

So now that we have a little community here of RS-4 players...

What amps are you all using?

I am using Amplitube Fender software (which is excellent) and playing on my Mac through that software and very nice studio monitors.
But I am considering several amps. The top of the list as of now are the Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue, and a VOX AC15CC1.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 23, 2009, 12:12:13 PM
Beautiful Mike! No shot at the sinister, I was just alluding to the original thread title.

Gotcha ... forgot about that!

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 23, 2009, 12:12:13 PM
On the horizon, because they look good and they're Canadian made, I've been looking at Mackamps Heatseeker 18, Skyraider 15 and the 4 or 0.4 watt Gem. 

Yeah, those Mackamps look sweet.  Lots of low wattage choices, too.

Wow those Mackamps do look sweet.

Here's what I'm using

--== click the picture to see all the gory details ==--

Quote from: ST on December 23, 2009, 02:45:26 PM
Wow those Mackamps do look sweet.

Here's what I'm using

--== click the picture to see all the gory details ==--

That looks very cool! Your whole rig is rack mounted? Does he make a combo or head and cab? I see that the Macks are using only two 12AX7 preamps tubes and a solid state rectafier. He seems to think it's an improvement and says it's sonically indistinguishable from the sound of the three preamp tubes. Interesting.

Hi ducktrapper,

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 23, 2009, 05:58:19 PM
That looks very cool! Your whole rig is rack mounted? Does he make a combo or head and cab? I see that the Macks are using only two 12AX7 preamps tubes and a solid state rectafier. He seems to think it's an improvement and says it's sonically indistinguishable from the sound of the three preamp tubes. Interesting.

Shame on me, I actually have two of these; one for the studio and one for the stage. From what I could gather, very few of these were made because shortly after the first hand-built batch were made the McIntyre sold the design to Lexicon and it became the Lexicon 284.

I haven't heard anything about McIntyre Amps since I got mine about ten years ago. John McIntyre was based in Calgary and I wrote to him. He was kind enough to write back, inquire about how I intended to use the amps. He then suggested that I send them to him so he could check them out and do some tweaks. I did and they've been great ever since.

I used to run them into a small open back cabinet with a Celestion or into a big 2x12 with a Celestion and a Black Shadow. For bigger gigs I would run the line outs to a 2 x 250 watt TubeWorks power amp and from there to a pair of Bose 802s on stands on either side of the stage. Wicked to run stereo with the G-Force effects like this.

These days, I will often take the small rack (amp only) and line out to a Bose L1® Model II. The tone is in the BluesMaker II and I let the Bose deliver it.  

But we are so off topic now, I'll just stop typing and apologize to JOYCEfromNS for getting side-tracked in her his/her thread. I am sorry Joyce.

ST I am privileged to be a member of this forum and evesdrop on posts such as these  :thumb
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 23, 2009, 10:24:31 AM
Nice clip - which pickup/s were you using? What microphone is that, and how did you record it? (I'm itching to figure out how to load some sound clips of this thing!)

:bowdown: (And that Tobacco burst just looks fantastic - wow - what a classic look.  That's why my P-90 version is going to be a Tobacco burst!)  :thumb

:wave I recorded Neck Pickup. I updated other details at http://enjoy1.bb-east.ne.jp/~butao/RS4/RS4.html
Larrivee RS-4 Tobacco Sunburst (2009)
Larrivee Parlour (2004)