RS4 Electric it looks sweet sounds Awesome What's wrong???

Started by JOYCEfromNS, September 30, 2009, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miata13,

I think for the styles of music you've described, the humbucker version would be better/more versatile. P-90 pickups are great for many applications, but they're also noisy (more so than Strat/Tele sized single coils), and their tone is considered to be more"in your face/rude" than humbuckers.  

If you've seen my other recent thread on these, you know I have one on order - a lefty in Root Beer Burst (another new finish they're offering) with humbuckers. I should have it in 2-3 weeks.

I talked with Matthew Larrivee about the humbucker pickups they're using in these now, since about 8 months ago they switced from Lollars to in-house pickups that Matthew is building/winding himself from new materials that match the materials in original late '50's PAF pickups (Matthew has an original PAF he is using for specs).

Matthew said the reason for the switch was that, even though the Lollars were obviously great pickups, Matthew felt they were a little hotter than vintage spec PAFs, and he wanted to get as close to that vintage tone as possible. So these are vintage style low output humbuckers that will be very balanced with nice highs, unlike some hot humbuckers that have lots of mids and (IMO) no character.  I'm looking forward very much to hearing this thing plugged into my Carr Rambler amp!

If you think a Les Paul is a good fit for you, this should be even a little better with the body bevel on the back and the bevel in the cutaway...it should be a joy to play standing up or seated.  

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Miata13 on November 27, 2009, 12:42:16 PM

Electric novice here and I don't see anything on Larrivee site about 2 verions; e.g. humbucker and P-90...what would be the tone difference and what would you see more applicable to softer rock/follk/jazz music?

If you go to the Larrivee website, click on the Electric Guitars page, then click on "Additional Media" under the main image (which has a shot of a P-90 model on it currently!) you'll see several more pics of the P-90 version.

I just bought one from Galaxy on Ebay last week. Waiting on its arrival.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320450932854&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I too am venturing into electric for the first time. I want clean and jazzy tones. I ordered a copy of IK media's Amplitube Fender since I don't have an amp. The reviews on that are stellar. I want that 65 twin reverb clean sound.
2009 Bourgeois Vintage D
2010 Santa Cruz 000-1929 Sunburst
2009 Martin OM-28V
2009 Larrivée RS-4 – Charcoal Burst
2008 Larrivee A-33 Mandolin
2010 Larrivée Forum IV #19
2009 Larrivée Forum III #72, Spruce/mahogany
2001 Larrivée DO3R

Ukes:
Collings UT1
Ko'olau T-1
KoAloha Super Concert
KoAloha Concert
KoAloha Soprano
Kanilea custom

I have another question for those who already own one of these...it's about the truss rod adjustment at the body end of the fingerboard.

Question: is there something like a little rubber or foam pad that is placed in that slot over the truss rod? I ask because in the photos (see attached below), I can't ever clearly see the truss rod itself, it definitely looks like there's something there covering it up...

...a silly little question, but thanks for any answers!

Quote from: scdreger on November 27, 2009, 01:54:21 PM
I just bought one from Galaxy on Ebay last week. Waiting on its arrival.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320450932854&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I too am venturing into electric for the first time. I want clean and jazzy tones. I ordered a copy of IK media's Amplitube Fender since I don't have an amp. The reviews on that are stellar. I want that 65 twin reverb clean sound.

Congrats...for awhile that Charcoal burst was my first choice for color...might have to get one with p-90's in it someday.  You got a great deal on that, too!  Unfortunately, there aren't used lefties out there for sale very often, so I went with new.

My 2 cents!!! 

Great buy!!!!    :nice guitar: that price is a steal - you ought to be ashamed  :humour:

The two PUP choices right now are the P90 which is similar to a sound from a pre 1957 Les Paul or a Larrivee Humbucker which for the most part is for the post 1957 Les Paul tho I think there were some LP Customs in the late 60's equiped with the P90's also ( The Gibsonites certainly would be up on that). As mentioned the P90 is a different animal altogether than a Humbucker ( it doesn't buck the hum in simple terms) it has thicker meatier sound; songs such as Robin TROWER's Whiskey Train or Mississippi Queen by Lesley ???? (name escapes me right now) are good examples of the P90 sound.

The RS 4 1st came out with Lollar PUPs  and IMHO I like the Larrivee PUPS better just a little sweeter. I am Gasing for a P90. Maybe will post a sound clip once that happens comparing the 3

The RS 4 is a dream to play and listen to. It has top of the line everything in it for guts on premium wood by one of the best Luthiers in the world and at a price sub $3000. All this on a Gibson or PRS if you could get it you are looking at $6000plus. Seems like a no brainer to me and destined to be a best seller for Larrivee I am convinced of that, the market will catch on it's too good for it not.

The Truss Rod adjustment I understand can be done pretty much "on the fly" tho I have not examined this really at all. Maybe some with some techie experience can way in on this
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 27, 2009, 07:42:44 PM

As mentioned the P90 is a different animal altogether than a Humbucker ( it doesn't buck the hum in simple terms) it has thicker meatier sound; songs such as Robin TROWER's Whiskey Train or Mississippi Queen by Lesley ???? (name escapes me right now) are good examples of the P90 sound.

The Truss Rod adjustment I understand can be done pretty much "on the fly" tho I have not examined this really at all. Maybe some with some techie experience can way in on this

So...do you own one of these yet, or have you just played them (with both versions of the humbucking pickup in them)?

It was Leslie West with his band Mountain who had the hit "Mississippi Queen."  Also, in the late '40's through the late '50's, ALL Gibson's had P-90's, so anything recorded on a Gibson from that era will be a P-90 sound. This includes all their jazz boxes as well as Les Pauls from '53-'56. Then the LP Juniors and Specials all had P-90's in that era as well, on into the '60's.

I'm not sure I would describe it as meatier than a humbucker, definitely more raw...but every person hears tone differently. To me, humbuckers have more lows, most P-90's would have more mids, and GOOD P-90's would have sweet highs.  

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 27, 2009, 07:42:44 PM

If it's like most other truss rods that are at the end of the fingerboard, there is a "wheel" attached to that end of the truss rod; this wheel looks like one of those round pieces from an old Tinker-Toy set; with a series of holes around the perimeter. You simply stick an allen wrench (or any small rod that will fit into one of the holes; I'm sure Larrivee provides one) and rotate the wheel...probably clockwise (as you look up the neck from the body end) to tighten the rod/straighten the neck; counter-clockwise to loosen the rod add more relief to the neck.

The only difference between the Larrivee design and others like this (like the Peavey Wolfgang) is that the Larrivee has a small square hole right in the fingerboard, while the Wolfgang and others have a cutout at the end of the fingerboard where the wheel sits (between the end of the fingerboard and the guitar body).

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 27, 2009, 08:28:09 PM
So...do you own one of these yet, or have you just played them (with both versions of the humbucking pickup in them)?

It was Leslie West with his band Mountain who had the hit "Mississippi Queen."  Also, in the late '40's through the late '50's, ALL Gibson's had P-90's, so anything recorded on a Gibson from that era will be a P-90 sound. This includes all their jazz boxes as well as Les Pauls from '53-'56. Then the LP Juniors and Specials all had P-90's in that era as well, on into the '60's.

I'm not sure I would describe it as meatier than a humbucker, definitely more raw...but every person hears tone differently. To me, humbuckers have more lows, most P-90's would have more mids, and GOOD P-90's would have sweet highs.  

Yes Leslie West with his band Mountain that was it!!!!! Also a better description of the P90's then mine certainly raw thats for sure.

And yes have both versions Charcoal Burst  the one in the Guitars of Pikesville Youtube Video - bought it from Josh - he treated me wonderfully that of course has the Lollars and I got the Root Beer with the Larrivee PUPS from a forum member. This is my favorite Tho they are both top tier guitars!!!! Anxiously awaiting ( maybe not as much as you) for you to get yours it's a great guitar way under priced!!!! I know you will be impressed.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 27, 2009, 09:14:26 PM

And yes have both versions Charcoal Burst  the one in the Guitars of Pikesville Youtube Video - bought it from Josh - he treated me wonderfully that of course has the Lollars and I got the Root Beer with the Larrivee PUPS from a forum member.

You DAWG!!! I can't believe you have TWO of these!  I LOVE the tones that Josh was getting on the Youtube video - I've watched that about 4-5 times (so far)!

And you're right, the price on these makes them the best bargain in American made electrics, IMO.  I ordered mine with my local dealer, and he matched the price at Guitar Adoptions (the 'real' price after you put it in your cart which is lower than MAP). The only downside is that I'm paying the tax (7%) by buying locally...but it's still an excellent price, just a little north of $2K. I wanted to support my local dealer on this one. The last significant purchase I made from them was my Carr Rambler (2x10 version) about 2 years ago (which I also got a great deal on during April's 'Guitar Month' sale).

I really feel like this Larrivee (and someday a P-90 version) are going to be my last electric guitar purchases, other than the Warmoths that I build (at the rate of around 2 every 3 years).

I can't wait to be able to do a review...believe me!  :crying:

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 27, 2009, 02:01:05 PM
Congrats...for awhile that Charcoal burst was my first choice for color...might have to get one with p-90's in it someday.  You got a great deal on that, too!  Unfortunately, there aren't used lefties out there for sale very often, so I went with new.

Thanks. To tell you the truth the charcoal burst is a very close 2nd choice for color. Rootbeer burst is out of this world. But, the charcoal is great looking too and I couldn't pass up that deal from a trusted vendor. I can't wait to play it.  :thumbsup
2009 Bourgeois Vintage D
2010 Santa Cruz 000-1929 Sunburst
2009 Martin OM-28V
2009 Larrivée RS-4 – Charcoal Burst
2008 Larrivee A-33 Mandolin
2010 Larrivée Forum IV #19
2009 Larrivée Forum III #72, Spruce/mahogany
2001 Larrivée DO3R

Ukes:
Collings UT1
Ko'olau T-1
KoAloha Super Concert
KoAloha Concert
KoAloha Soprano
Kanilea custom

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 27, 2009, 09:14:26 PM

And yes have both versions Charcoal Burst  the one in the Guitars of Pikesville Youtube Video - bought it from Josh - he treated me wonderfully that of course has the Lollars and I got the Root Beer with the Larrivee PUPS from a forum member.

Okay, details...so when did you get the Charcoal one? The Root Beer one?  :gotpics:

And my description of the tones of P-90's versus humbuckers is just different than yours, certainly not better.  :thumb

Okay, while I'm sitting around tonight reading various threads (and occasionally wandering off to other links, like LawDogStrgsAttach's excellent web blog and his wife's photography website!), I got bored and decided to survey this whole thread and count how many RS-4 owners have posted (so far) here.

The list (if you find any errors, please let me know):

Ducktrapper - RS-4 Amber (and an '80's LT-1!)
GoldTopRocks - RS-4 Goldtop (what else?!)
LawDogStrgsAttach - RS-4 finish unknown
photomat - RS-4 Cherryburst
Walkerman - RS-4 Amber (right? that's yours in the photo?)
robwms - RS-4 White (the rare albino of the group!)
teacycle - RS-4 Tobacco Sunburst
JOYCEfromNS - RS-4 Charcoal Burst AND RS-4 Root Beer Burst
scdreger - RS-4 Charcoal Burst

Total to-date: NINE owners of TEN RS-4's

(I haven't checked other threads to see if there are other owners who have posted on the Larrivee Forum.)

RS4 looks incredible. And I'm sure it sounds up to it looks.
I already have an LP with humbs and great flame (Std. DC. Those were a Gibson answer to PRS onslaught back then).
But RS4 is 25.5 and it has got P90 version. That will possibly justify getting another electric to me  :ph34r:
So. I would kindly ask to share more thoughts and maybe upload some soundclips of P90 RS4, my fellow forumite friends.
Thank you.
Some  :donut :donut :donut in advance ;)

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

I don't know that anyone who has posted here (so far; see list above) has the P-90 version...no one has mentioned it, anyway. Hopefully someone will chime in soon if they do...we would all like to "hear" more about it!

Allright, I'll wait then :)
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: vates on November 30, 2009, 04:53:39 AM
RS4 looks incredible. And I'm sure it sounds up to it looks.
I already have an LP with humbs and great flame (Std. DC. Those were a Gibson answer to PRS onslaught back then).
But RS4 is 25.5 and it has got P90 version.

Yes, I'm looking forward to comparing the 25.5" scale length RS-4 to my Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. I also have another 25.5" double humbucker guitar, but it's a bolt-neck Strat-style with a swamp ash body and maple neck. My Epiphone may be up for sale, even though it is a very nice guitar (made in Japan) and it was at a very good price (right around $1K)...they they don't make it in lefty anymore.

I would like to see a comparaison between the RS-4 and LP Standard.

Quote from: Symtex on November 30, 2009, 10:42:06 AM
I would like to see a comparaison between the RS-4 and LP Standard.

That depends. Is a comparaison a combination of comparison and raison d'etre?  :winkin:

I made a typo. Once in a while, the frenchie in me comes out and spit out word javascript:void(0);