RS4 Electric it looks sweet sounds Awesome What's wrong???

Started by JOYCEfromNS, September 30, 2009, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

There seems to be little on this forum about the Larrivee RS4 and little buzz about them. Why is that? Is it because it doesn't say Les Paul on it? I am a newby thus apologize now if this work of art has been discussed to death!! I am looking to purchase one used ( but have not seen one offered anywhere). What gives ? Appreciate your thoughts.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Joyce,
I think there have been discussions about the RS-4, do an advanced search and they will show up.  The RS-4 looks great, and if I played electric I would be all over it, but I have 2 acoustics, and love acoustic guitar and have not really considered trying electric.  I know Ducktrapper on this forum has one, and maybe more.  I don't believe that people are snubbing it here, but my sense is that most people on this forum are into acoustics more.  I will also give you a great place to maybe pickup a used RS-4, go to http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=mus&itm=larrivee&loc=&fil=&ys=&ye=&submit=++++go which is a combination of all ebay and craigslist listings for Larrivee.  I found one which unfortunately has been sold, but I do see them on here regularly.  Good luck and have  :coffee.
Clifford
Clifford

Larrivee L-09 Custom Moonspruce
Eastman E20SS
JWalker "Wise River"
McPherson Sable
Fender Telecaster American ProII
Furch G23SR Cutaway Sitka / Rosewood
PRS Santana Abraxas

If I ever buy another electric it will probably be an RS-4.   

Ducktrapper and Walkerman on this forum are RS-4 owners.  I believe Walkerman's RS-4 may have been the Guitar of the Month awhile back.  These electrics haven't been out long enough to have developed much of a buzz yet.  Good luck in your search for a used one.

Maybe because the RS4 doesn't offer anything significantly different. It's not a terrific deal like 03 series Larrivees, there are many choices for that kind of money for high end electrics in a Les P. type. I'm sure they are great guitars, but there are many others . JP
Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132

The RS-4 is a great guitar but this is mainly an acoustic forum, it seems. Us darksiders always end up saying un-acoustic things and getting into big trouble.  :winkin:
Anyway, woods, pickups, hardware, everything about the RS-4 is top of the line. A similarly appointed Gibson (or the recent editions from Collings and Taylor) would cost more. Up to and over twice as much, so the Larrivées are also a great deal. Larrivée knows a little something about electric guitars, by the way. I also have a mid 80's LT1 which is the deadliest little tele you'll ever hear or play. Both of these guitars record very well too. Try one if you're in the market for a deadly, single cutaway, double humbucker, Les Paulesque instrument with killer playability and tone. I am totally happy with mine.

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 30, 2009, 11:03:29 AM
Larrivée knows a little something about electric guitars, by the way. I also have a mid 80's LT1 which is the deadliest little tele you'll ever hear or play.

Matthew Larrivee once mentioned in a thread how he has childhood memories of his father sitting at the kitchen table hand winding the pick-ups for those 80's electrics
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

I know Larrivee made electrics during the "difficult acoustic years" but somehow I'm still in the acoustic guitar frame when I hear that name. I have yet to see, hear and play anything other than their acoustic guitars - including mandolins.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: bhika on September 30, 2009, 11:27:13 AM
Matthew Larrivee once mentioned in a thread how has childhood memories of his father sitting at the kitchen table hand winding the pick-ups for those 80's electrics

And what a nasty little pup it is! Matthew, by the way, referred to my little black guitar as "hideous", so I call it, The Hideous Mr. Hyde or Hidecki for short. It looks like a tele except for the headstock. I guess he just doesn't like teles.   :laughin:

Also as mentioned EVERYONE is making a LPish guitar.I've played the Larrivee and I have never been a fan of humbucker pickups and even owned a real 59 LP at one point but I can say that the feel is much nicer then most of the clone's out there now.I should look at a P90ed RS4.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 30, 2009, 12:24:02 PM
Also as mentioned EVERYONE is making a LPish guitar.I've played the Larrivee and I have never been a fan of humbucker pickups and even owned a real 59 LP at one point but I can say that the feel is much nicer then most of the clone's out there now.I should look at a P90ed RS4.

Yeah Rob but there's hohumbuckers and then there's humbuckers. The Lollar Imperials are incredible. I haven't been able to try one of the P90s either but I'd love to get my hands on one. Matthew's pups have a good pedigree. One in root beer would be very cool. The RS-4, however, has me playing way more electric guitar than acoustic lately and thinking of new amps and the number eleven. Is that a bad thing?  :nana_guitar     

I think that electrics are really "endorsement" driven...just like basketball shoes.  Unless and until some hot rock stars start using RS4's, I think that they will stay a "boutique" guitar.

I'm not putting the pickups down they were way more musical then other other humbucker including the so called magical "PAF's" but a P90 now theres a musical pickup.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on September 30, 2009, 02:50:13 PM
I'm not putting the pickups down they were way more musical then other other humbucker including the so called magical "PAF's" but a P90 now theres a musical pickup.

Only when it's in musical hands, my friend.  :smile:

Sometime's wabbit,sometime's. :thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Anyone have an idea on what the average weight might be?
Greg

Larrivée L-05 Red Spruce Top
DeArmond M-68 Moon Blue
Fender Bullet S-2 Sunburst
Fender Telecaster Thinline
Peavey Predator

I wish all you people would quit talking about the RS4. It's the best kept secret in electric guitars out there. Anyone who owns one knows what I'm saying. I have a GoldTop RS4 and I will be buried with it if I "Git" my wishes! The Larrivee family rocks electric guitars. I will own more Larrivee electrics (just don't tell my wife I said that)!

Wife who's wife,tell her what,who are we talking about anyway. :whistling:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: jimmyp on September 30, 2009, 10:10:33 AM
Maybe because the RS4 doesn't offer anything significantly different. It's not a terrific deal like 03 series Larrivees, there are many choices for that kind of money for high end electrics in a Les P. type. I'm sure they are great guitars, but there are many others . JP

With all due respect, I wholeheartedly disagree.  I own an RS-4, and it defies most electric guitar conventions.  It is fully a handmade, boutique masterpiece - just had a long discussion with Matt Larrivee on the RS-4.  ALl components are top-shelf, hand wired and soldered, top grade woods (.75 inch thick top!), built by JCL, John, Matt, and one other long time worker, and deluxe features like double beveled cutaway and body contour.  It screams louder and thicker than an LP, smoother and richer than a Strat, and it build with the grace and beauty of a PRS or better.  It is the best electric guitar on the market today - and when you factor in the price!!!!....it is more a deal than the -03 series...a PRS with similar features will cost 2x as much, easily. 

Greg/Cybenator - it is 8 lbs on average.