Are you a thread ender?

Started by obe-wan, September 24, 2009, 01:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

:nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance
BAKING DAY PLATTER,,,,,Yeah
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 12, 2009, 07:08:44 PM
Dan that's fascinating, did you have electricity?  Neighbors?
We were on a small farm, but neighbors were fairly far away. For a while our 3 cousins. all boys and all our same ages lived down the road so we had the best buddies to play with.  We had bare light bulbs, a wood stove a propane kitchen range and a small B&W tv set.

But my Mom listened to the radio all day, which was cool.

It sounds like a great American story, some hardship and lots of homemade apple pie.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 12, 2009, 09:47:40 PM
It sounds like a great American story, some hardship and lots of homemade apple pie.
Though we were poor folk, we had lots of good food. We had fried chicken a lot, homemade biscuits and gravy, lots of different red meats and garden vegetables in season. We never had oranges except at the free movie during the christmas holiday. They gave you an orange, a bag of hard candy and a free movie at the theater.
              I actually paid 5 cents to see a movie when I was very young.

But at the family reunions and other family gatherings amazing desserts would cover several tables. Pies of all kinds, cakes , homemade candies. It was a kids heaven during those gatherings. And twenty to thirty cousins to play with on the big farms that these were held at.
                 I think it's why I cook a little now and then. I miss my Grandparents (all are gone) Many aunts and uncles are gone and even some cousins. But we do still gather at one of my aunts houses, who is the best cook I know of on the planet. They even did a big write up about her in the Rolla Daily News once.
                 She is some cook. And yes apple pie is a favorite of mine.

It's nice to hear that Danny. I grew up in the drab suburbs of London, streets lights, and only TV for entertainment. No stars to look up at, no woodlands, not much natural anything. Couldn't be less romantic.

Now I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay (just kidding).

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 13, 2009, 08:44:11 AM

Now I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay (just kidding).

Are you kidding about being a lumberjack, or about being okay, or both?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Both, I'm really a tree-hugger and my favorite tree just fell over :crying: 

Bear the stars were wonderful when I was a kid. And on warm days I would climb one of the many large hardwood trees and literally go to sleep just watching the clouds drift by. I never fell out either.
   But also back then the jets would break the sound barrier while flying low and the sonic boom would scare all the farm animals and us. Sometimes the windows would even crack.
   I'm on my way right now. Just stopped at the Red River and am using the free wifi to catch up and then move on. About 8 hours more of driving , if I make it tonite.
     It is supposed to be a real clear cold night in a few days, so I hope to see some of those stars again.
                        (lumberjack :laughin:)

Are you driving auto or the horse and buggy rig? :humour:
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on December 13, 2009, 05:19:18 PM
Are you driving auto or the horse and buggy rig? :humour:
Neither at the moment, I'm too tired. Got up at 4 am and just ran out of energy and knew it was time to pull into a hotel. I'm in Krebbs OK. I think, just outside of Macalester. There is a cool guitar shop here if he is still open, but I'll probably leave to early to stop in for a quick peek at what he's got in stock. There was a luthier here also, but I'm not sure if he is still here.

My Grandpa's both had horses that pulled a buggy and a large wagon for hauling wood and such. Mostly mules were used for the large wagons.

Quote from: dependan on December 13, 2009, 08:28:40 PM
  Neither at the moment, I'm too tired. Got up at 4 am and just ran out of energy and knew it was time to pull into a hotel. I'm in Krebbs OK. I think, just outside of Macalester. There is a cool guitar shop here if he is still open, but I'll probably leave to early to stop in for a quick peek at what he's got in stock. There was a luthier here also, but I'm not sure if he is still here.

Is there any snow where you're travelling? We're having real winter a few hundred miles north of you (in Nebraska)!  8-10 inches so far, and it's not even December 21 (official "winter") yet! 

We don't usually see this kind of snow until January or February - reminds me of the winters when I was a kid in Duluth, MN!  Fun for us kids, horrible for the adults who had to get around in it.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

when I was a kid it wasn`t fun being awakened at 6 am to shovel the driveway before my dad got home from the night shift. Jumping off second story balconies into the drifts was though.

Quote from: sneaky on December 14, 2009, 07:27:50 PM
when I was a kid it wasn`t fun being awakened at 6 am to shovel the driveway before my dad got home from the night shift.

Jumping off second story balconies into the drifts was though.

You did that, too?  :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Big snow winters for us was around 71-74..
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

27 pages past my attempt to end this thread confirms that I am not a thread ender.  :nanadance
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

No snow, thankfully.  Just real cold at night.

Quote from: dependan on December 15, 2009, 02:39:53 PM
   No snow, thankfully.  Just real cold at night.

No snow in Oz, were just starting Summer. 39C here yesterday. It makes me wonder why we keep European traditions of having massive roasts and hot pudding on Xmas day??? Its likely to be at least 30C on the day.

Even in winter we dont get snow anywhere except the mountains. Very rarely it'll snow in the hills suburbs, but never enough to make the ground white. I guess thats why we're called "The Big Brown Land"

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Brian Trepanier is a thread ender!   :winkin:
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com