Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SD-50 vs. SD-60  (Read 328 times)
billpurcell

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2017, 12:41:11 AM »

Has anyone out there played both of these models?  Yes I know one is mahogany and one is rosewood but can anyone offer any new spins other than that mahogany offers better mids?  Both are 12 fret, spruce top, slope shoulder models. Would the 50 offer more versatile sound because the big body and bridge placement is going to provide boom anyway without rosewood?  Thanks, Bill (new forum member)
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »

I owned both. The 50 has greater clarity. The 60 is darker, richer, bassier. I couldn't pick a favorite. The 50 is so energetic and articulate. But, the 60's mellowness is nice to cosy up to and explore for hours. The lower midrange depth is very complex and engaging.
I only sold them because I ended up with instruments costing three times their price. The 50 and 60 are, IMO, the best guitars Larrivee makes and I highly recommend getting one or both.
Feel free to hit me up with specific questions if you need.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
billpurcell

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 02:06:15 AM »

Thanks Bowie.  I played an SD-40r a while back and loved the big bass and volume of it and the 12 fret bridge placement.  I have several of the 40 series (00 custom, 000mh, OM-40) and thought I would try a higher end model.  I know the SD's are basically Dread's but the short neck and 15" lower bout makes it feel a little more versatile.  I keep thinking that mahogany 50 for mid range finger picking blues but am afraid of giving up the low end on bluegrass songs.  I have a chance to play both models next week.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:20:52 AM »

Neither are shy on bass, that's for sure. Glad you'll get to try them out.

D-02-12
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:21:19 AM »

But, the 60's mellowness is nice to cosy up to and explore for hours. The lower midrange depth is very complex and engaging.
The "cosy up to and explore" is a good comment. It is what I do for the first 30 minutes or so when I pick up any of my Larrivees first thing in the morning. The warming up period is a good time to explore.
There are so many things about them Larrivees.....
You are making me interested in the 50 and 60. I have only played a recent SD-40, but it did not give me any special vibe.
Mike
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 02:24:36 AM »

Bill, just keep in mind that the 50/60 series are standard bracing and not 40 series bracing so they will sound different.  Each one has its own merits.  I sold my all walnut SD60, but I still have my D60 FM and I have never regretted buying any of my Larrivees...  I have inquired about having a custom SD-40/60 built that would have the bracing of the 40 series, but the quality and finish of the 60 series with my wood choices...  They said they would do it.

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »

:coffeeThe "cosy up to and explore" is a good comment. It is what I do for the first 30 minutes or so when I pick up any of my Larrivees first thing in the morning. The warming up period is a good time to explore.
There are so many things about them Larrivees.....
You are making me interested in the 50 and 60. I have only played a recent SD-40, but it did not give me any special vibe.
Mike

To expand on the part Mike quoted, if you have others in the house, the 60 is a great guitar.  It's loud and powerful, but the top end is mellow enough that it doesn't bark over everything else.  My wife loved that she could watch TV and I could be in another part of the room, playing guitar, and the two didn't interfere with each other.  The SD60's personality really comes out with finger picking.  It flat picks like a champ too, but you don't get the same level of nuance.  It's quite "piano-like".  The 50 is more like a good ol dreadnaught, but with a deeper voice and less twangy top end (something that was personally very important to me).

Neither of mine were set up all that well but if you have the saddle and nut slots lowered just enough, they are comfortable to play for hours.  The wide nut was intimidating at first but once you adapt, you'll find you can do certain runs cleaner and more articulately than with standard spacings.

D-02-12
billpurcell

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 02:31:38 AM »

Hey guys thanks for your insights on these models.  This is a great site for Larrivee's lovers!  I was heading to Ventura to Guitar 48 to play these models but sadly I might have to postpone because of these horrible southern California fires.  Our state has really been hammered this year.  One more question for you all: the nut width is wider than the D models and for most dreads that I have checked.  Does anyone know the logic behind this design?  Thanks, Bill
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 03:28:32 AM »

One more question for you all: the nut width is wider than the D models and for most dreads that I have checked.  Does anyone know the logic behind this design?  Thanks, Bill

Maybe to reflect more vintage specs? Older Martin (prewar) steel stringed guitars had wider fingerboards, some 1 3/4" some 1 7/8".  Martin has been recently changing the specs on their Standard Series guitars (the D-18 in 2012 and the D-28 in 2017) from 1 11/16" to 1 3/4".  Some older slope shoulder dreads had 1 7/8".

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 04:02:16 AM »

The nut width is such to make it more fingerstyle friendly.

D-02-12
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: