Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "dust In The Wind" Finger Picking?  (Read 1103 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2004, 03:34:37 AM »

Anyone know the guitar picking pattern for this song by Kansas?  i know they have sheet music for this song but it seems many of the sheet music out there are intended for beginners and or they stray far from the original recording method.
 B)

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
guitarcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 04:38:49 AM »

Hi Mark, it is a variation on Travis picking.  The guitar player wrote it as an exercise to teach his students how to fingerpick, and the legend goes something like his wife heard him play it and said "that would make a great song, why don't you do something with that?" and supposedly that is the story.  If you have a book with Travis picking in it you should get the idea.  If you are still having trouble let me know and I'll try to talk you through it.  Good luck.  Jason

http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 05:21:07 AM »

Thanks Jason, that's an interesting history of the song.  Dust in the Wind has always been among my favorites but has taken on more significance because of the guitar picking pattern seems doable for me.  i'm learning various finger picking including travis and i'd like to use songs like this to make learning fun.  fortunately i have the recording of the song so i can kind of follow along but my old brain cells struggle.

by the way, you could turn your 000-60 finger picking test into a song as well...i've been practicing it myself with some variation C, G7, C, F7, F, C, G7...
Thanks for the help B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
guitarcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 01:45:20 PM »

You are right about the song idea Mark.  I actually started out trying to write a tune with that, but then realized it is awful close to a John Prine song that I like, and so I gave it up.  I don't want to plagiarize his music, as much as I like it.  So I just use it as a warm up pattern.  The dust in the wind is mainly a variation on C and Amin.  The other parts use G/B and Dmin7 thrown in the mix, but for the most parts the chords are pretty straightforward.  I use Guitar Tab Universe for a lot of stuff, and I go to altcountrytab.com for a lot of good Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown stuff, as well as many other good artists.  I mostly play by ear, but still use tab when I can get it.  Jason

http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: