Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JCL 40th Anniversary owners- How do you like it?  (Read 1106 times)
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »

I have had my new JCL 40th Anniversary Re-Issuue for 2 weeks now.  It has become my" go to can't put it down"  guitar.  It has incredible depth and sustain, beautiful tone.  It is making my D10 spend more time in the case.  I find it unique to any L body Larrivee I have ever played.  I know Jean slightly modified the bracing on this one.  I had the privilege of spending time with Jean at the factory.  He is most proud of the JCL.

Wondering how you other lucky owners feel about your JCL's?

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:13:46 PM »

Mine has developed to be the best Larrivee I have owned, hands down.

Ron

sunwukong

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:16:50 PM »

I was lucky enough to pick one up recently as my first Larrivee, and in the past month, I have been unable to play anything else.  Like you said, the tone is beautiful and the sustain on this is incredible.  I have no regrets.
Trinity Guitars

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:22:35 PM »

I do not have one but I did sell one and it was a great guitar. There are a few that I hate to see go and that was one I miss.
Jim Holler

Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »

I know Jean slightly modified the bracing on this one.  I had the privilege of spending time with Jean at the factory.  He is most proud of the JCL.

Do you know, or does anyone know how the bracing is different?

L-03 Italian Spruce
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:44:41 AM »

I do not have one but I did sell one and it was a great guitar. There are a few that I hate to see go and that was one I miss.
Jim Holler

Jim,
I just check out your Larrivee stash online.  You have some great guitars.  How is the zebrawood sound?  And the madagascar L10?  Those are some rare beauties!

1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 01:51:25 PM »

Mine has developed to be the best Larrivee I have owned, hands down.

I was lucky enough to pick one up recently as my first Larrivee, and in the past month, I have been unable to play anything else.  Like you said, the tone is beautiful and the sustain on this is incredible.  I have no regrets.

I've had mine since the middle of June, and my other guitars have been suffering from neglect ever since.  As others have said, this is a unique instrument with great tonal qualities.  Gorgeous woods and finish as well.  I keep thinking that the honeymoon will end, but so far this has been the best purchase decision that I've made in 35 years of playing.  My kids will have this one some day, it's a keeper.

I had thought of starting a post like this, but didn't want to be all "ga ga" over my new guitar, but this a great thread.  Thanks to Chasjax for making this one available to me. He sold it to make room for his two FIIIs, so even though I didn't purchase an FIII myself, that project generated something good for me...
jimmy

Chasjax

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »

As a (previous) owner, I'll jump in and second everyone's sentiments - the instrument that I reluctantly sold to jimmy buffet was as good as they get.  For a variety of reasons, I went into heat over smaller bodied 12-fret models and as jimmy said, let the JCL go to fund a lot of 2 F-III's.  No regrets with the F-III's mind you, but I miss the smooth, strong sound of the JCL.  You guys are sure causing me a serious case of seller's remorse!   angry

Chas
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 06:25:15 PM »

As a (previous) owner, I'll jump in and second everyone's sentiments - the instrument that I reluctantly sold to jimmy buffet was as good as they get.  For a variety of reasons, I went into heat over smaller bodied 12-fret models and as jimmy said, let the JCL go to fund a lot of 2 F-III's.  No regrets with the F-III's mind you, but I miss the smooth, strong sound of the JCL.  You guys are sure causing me a serious case of seller's remorse!   angry

Chas

Any time your feeling remorse, Charlie, just let me know and I'll send you pictures of your (former) JCL.  She went to a loving home is well cared for in a "pet free, humidity controlled environment".  Time for another string change this weekend.
jb

jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »

An interesting footnote to this conversation.

Yesterday, I decided that it was time for a string change, but after removing the old set of Newtone Master Class medium Bluegrass strings, I realised that the only spare set that I had at home were lights.  So I have no choice, and on go the MC lights. 

The first thing I noticed is that the volume disappeared, then the the tonal qualities just seemed to go downhill.  As someone who has gone back and forth between light and medium strings, this drove home the value of playing with the heavier gauge sets.  It just isn't the same guitar!   They might take a little getting used to, but the mediums really bring out the best.  I guess it's a another trip down to The Fret to get a few replacement sets.

Don't think I want to get used to this...

jimmy

247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »

Jimmy,

I actually had this conversation with Jean Larrivee when I was picking up my JCL 40th.  He is a firm believer in mediums, even for parlors and OM's. I have always used mediums.  I am used to peeling off callouses- they seem to grow a little faster and thicker with mediums.

BTW, Larrivee is shipping their new stock with Daddario EXP's now. 

1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
larkin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »

If Jean is so fond of medium gauge strings, why are his guitars factory "set up" for light strings for most models?  Seems a little inconsistent, don't you think?

larkin

1995 S&P Pro Flame Maple
1996 S&P Pro Rosewood
2002 Taylor 815-CE
2004 Washburn D-27S
2007 Larrivee D-60 Custom Brazilian Rosewood
2007 Larrivee L-09 Sam Ash 40th Anniversary Commemorative
2007 Guild F50R
2009 S&P Showcase Maple
2013 Guild 60th Anniversary Custom Shop
2014 Bedell JBCE-52-G
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »

Likely because the marketing folks talked him into it.

A guitar strung with mediums sitting beside a competitors instrument strung with lights is going to seem harder to play, especially to a novice.

Ron

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: