Chinese guitars,ect.....Happy with?

Started by DaveyO, September 12, 2009, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy all... :wave

I recently acquired one of Musician's Friends Silvercreek T-170's when they were on CRAZY sale...and have to say that I am VERY impressed...it has features that you can't find on a NA built guitar for less than a thousand bucks...features like a Mod-V neck, short scale etc.  It needed a set up to get the action down to acceptable levels...I may replace the tuners at some point...they look fine but some Grover sta-tites would complete the vintage look and improve tuning accuracy.  For as little as I have in this guitar I am also going to be willing to try some other mods...I want to slot the bridge...maybe work on the bracing a little...nothing drastic...just take the corners off...maybe a soundport?

anyway...Here are a few photos of the guitar:

And here are links to the 2 sounds clips that I have recorded:

bare fingers: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8334318

with Thumbpick: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8334317

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: GA-ME on September 13, 2009, 11:15:19 AM
AN UAW line worker, with a high school education, could make as much as a person who exercised the discipline to obtain a professional education.

So only people who had the "discipline to obtain a professional education" should be allowed to make a good living?

Quote from: the creature on December 17, 2009, 12:36:22 PM
So only people who had the "discipline to obtain a professional education" should be allowed to make a good living?

Good point.  Plus I went to grad school....and still don't make a good living.... :?

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I guess I've always been simplistic enough to believe that those who simply work hard (no matter what their level of education) generally tend do well in life. After all, this is the land of oppurtunity. I personally don't give a rip about anyone's education or the chip they got on their shoulder because of it; neither I nor the rest of society owes them a thing for that.

Quote from: Blue in VT on December 17, 2009, 09:37:36 AM
Howdy all... :wave

I recently acquired one of Musician's Friends Silvercreek T-170's when they were on CRAZY sale...and have to say that I am VERY impressed...it has features that you can't find on a NA built guitar for less than a thousand bucks...features like a Mod-V neck, short scale etc.  It needed a set up to get the action down to acceptable levels...I may replace the tuners at some point...they look fine but some Grover sta-tites would complete the vintage look and improve tuning accuracy.  For as little as I have in this guitar I am also going to be willing to try some other mods...I want to slot the bridge...maybe work on the bracing a little...nothing drastic...just take the corners off...maybe a soundport?
Cheers,

Blue

That sounds good Blue. Thanks for sharing it. The soundport sounds like a good idea. I put one in the dread that I made from a kit but I'd like to hear one in an OM. I should have thought about that when you guys were discussing this purchase in the first place.
Larrivee 00-40R

My first guitar was purchsed 19 months ago. It is a cheap Chinese git. I got what I paid for. A cheap first guitar. It fit the bill and was a good git for learning on. It was also a great git for messing with the action, the nut and the saddle. Had I messed up it would have been no loss.  :nana_guitar
I have travelled with it (International air) and also strapped it to a pack horse and packed it into the Rockies. It's been exposed to freezing temps around a campfire and blistering Carribean sun. In hind sight I guess I got more than I paid for.  :wacko:
:guitar
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

I have played and own several CHinese or Asian guitars.  Babicz Identity, Guild GAD30PCE, Blueridge BR-163, SIlver Creek T-170, and Cort/Parkwood 340FM Jumbo as well as Larrivee LV-03E, L. Benito, and custom guitar JF OM koa/adi.  The custom US made JF OM is the best of all and Larrivee and L. Benito are both very nice guitars.  The Cort Jumbo (Korean Made) is a good, well made guitar and cleanly done.  The Guild GAD30PCE is a quality instrument with good craftsmanship, but finish is thick as are Silver Creek guitars.  The Babicz acute Identity is probably the easiest playing of all of them.  Those CNC machines cut stuff on the money.  I have tried a few low end Martins and I don't think they are as nice as my Guild GAD, Babicz or Blueridge.  The Blueridge I sold as it was to narrow at nut and narrow neck, but it was put together well.  The main difference with the custom guitar is that a good builder selects the woods, checks tap tones, does a lot of things that a factory cannot.  They just buy the wood, the machine cuts it on the money, it is glued together, and if you get a good sounding one where backs/sides marry in tone, the guitar will sound as good as a several thousand dollar Taylor, but they won't all sound that way, so it takes a lot of trying.  I am having another custom made one now.  I will say that for a few hundred inflated dollars you can get a much much better guitar made in China than you could for the dollar equivalent back in the 1970's, so better instruments can be played by beginners without frustrating them out of the hobby.

I responded with my Chinese made SIlver Creek and Ohana Uke, but missed the "Asian" part.

My Korean made Cort Earth 200 is excellent. They really put this one together right.
I meant to buy a "beater" that day, but this one is a guitar that could keep me happy as a "one and only"; it's that good.
Solid top and back, dovetail neck joint. It's gloss, (though the pic looks like satin) and the finish is respectfully thin.
The neck is satin and a smooth comfortable player.
Actually plays and feels like my D-03R, with an articulate voice and great projection.

Amen to the Cort Earth 200 series.  I have a Korean made Cort Earth 200 12 string that is really starting to come into its own.  I have played several 6 strings and presently have a thing for the L900P that Cort makes.  BUT ... for the same money I can buy a North American made guitar from a company like Godin in Quebec http://www.godinguitars.com/ .  I have had several of their Guitars in the Seagull line and after I have sold them I have  regretted every sale (slow learner).  Right now I am thinking of one from the Mariner, Solid Wood Series that is rosewood and sitka spruce for about $550.00 street price.  For a little more money I can get one in their Artist Series, again all solid wood, either mahogany, maple or rosewood for about $750.  I can buy a Seagull in their solid top laminate sides and back for about $250.  The 3 Seagulls I have owned were all really good guitars.  They come with some unique design features no other guitar has.  I love their standard 1.8 inch nut.  And Godin has six other lines besides Seagull, many of them unique in design and all extremely modestly priced. They all have a lifetime warranty.  So why would I buy from Asia when I can buy NA for about the same money and get at least as good or in many cases a much better guitar and support local artisans and industry to boot???
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: the creature on December 17, 2009, 01:30:20 PM
I guess I've always been simplistic enough to believe that those who simply work hard (no matter what their level of education) generally tend do well in life. After all, this is the land of oppurtunity.

The land of opportunity, an ancient tale once true - and sticking to this thread: it might be true for China these days ;)
Avalon L25
Guild M-20
Larrivee L09E
Larrivee L-03
Larrivee D-03RE
Martin D-18
Martin OOO-15
Martin D-15S
Yairi G1F
Epiphone 1964 Texan (Paul McCartney)

My Japan made Aria AD-80 is put together astonishingly good. The neck is gret,reminds me of a Taylor for comfort.The solid Engleman top does sport a bit of runout, but I've seen worse on guitars that cost thousands.
The bottom line to me is how does it sound,and does it's sound make me want to play it often. Now,I'll be the first to say it is not in the same category as my 64 D-21. It will never be either and that's OK.It cannot compare to a 45 year old brazillion guitar but I think it sounds VERY loud and proud for what it is. Plus,I like playing it and I'm not concerned if it were to aquire a ding or two(which it hasn't,BTW!).

Ron
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

Quote from: antaisce on December 19, 2009, 11:59:59 AM
The land of opportunity, an ancient tale once true
Still true, at least for those willing to work and not make excuses.

I bought a Blueridge BR40 recently and I'm quite happy with the quality and tone, especially at the price.

:donut :donut2 :donut :donut2

Anybody own or tried a Recording King git?  I'm curious about them...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

I have a couple Of Silver Creek guitars.They are unbelievable for the price,especially the "Stupid deal of the day" price I got mine for.

My only experience with the Asian guitars was my Epi EF500R Masterbilt. (I think it was China made) A decent guitar except that the back braces all came lose. The back sounded like a snare drum when tapped. A little to thick with the finish also. I have heard good things about them though.

Ken
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing