Chinese guitars,ect.....Happy with?

Started by DaveyO, September 12, 2009, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks just the same, Alvin... I got off doughnuts long ago. :winkin:

I own a Blueridge BG-40 (my camping guitar) and a Rover RM-75 Mandolin both sound fantastic.

The Dude abides.

Notrev it would seem that with all the woohaha and other bs that in reality environmental protection really means nothing to most people.Its a great flag to wave and it is cute and green and all but..................................
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: NotRevGDavis on September 18, 2009, 11:42:26 AM
China has to be the worst offender take a gander at satellite coverage of China the brown and white soup that travels all the way to the US or check out the Olympic Road Race coverage in Beijing last year kind of reminds you of the smoke that chases you around the campfire ring except it is more toxic.
For that we enjoy lower prices.

It wasn't that long ago that rivers in the US would spontaneously catch on fire.    I live in a rural part of the PacNW, and there are two superfund sites near me -- a turn-of-the-century creosote plant, and a harbor where the navy used to dump stuff without regard to environmental impact.

Bottom-line: China looks a lot like the US did circa 1950.    When we buy their stuff, we're raising their standard of living.   Give them 20 years, and they'll be making the same labor laws and environmental regulations that we do.
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

I have an Eastman AC710S (now labeled AC712), an OM that I like almost as much as my Martin OM-21. If you can find one used or new old stock, you can get a really fine guitar for a nice price.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Bill:
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at it via their website.  Ever tried their grand concert models? Just curious.
Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Yamaha LL-TA
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."

Quote from: gitnoob on September 18, 2009, 12:40:16 PM
It wasn't that long ago that rivers in the US would spontaneously catch on fire.    I live in a rural part of the PacNW, and there are two superfund sites near me -- a turn-of-the-century creosite plant, and a harbor where the navy used to dump stuff without regard to environmental impact.

Bottom-line: China looks a lot like the US did circa 1950.    When we buy their stuff, we're raising their standard of living.   Give them 20 years, and they'll be making the same labor laws and environmental regulations that we do.

Very good point.  Indeed China now has a Clean Water Act modeled after ours.  In 20 years however, everyone won't be buying Chinese guitars because the cost will rise to protect the environment and pay higher wages.  Whatever country is next on the industrial progression will be making the guitars that most people buy.

From my experience the Guild GADs sound good, but nowhere near the equivalent US models.  And as the original post hints...is the difference enough to warrant the extra $$$.  Up to the individual, some yes, some no.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: alvinlam on September 18, 2009, 10:10:20 PM
Bill:
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at it via their website.  Ever tried their grand concert models? Just curious.

I haven't, but I have read several posters' reviews (here and AGF and UBGF) of Eastman grand concerts (ACx08), including ryler who posted on page one of this thread, and they have all been very pleased. Cathi's (ryler's) comments are typical of others. BTW, the Eastman grand concert is identical dimensionally with the OM except the upper bout is smaller. The lower bouts are the same, according to an Eastman rep.

Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Thanks Bill for that pc of info.
Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Yamaha LL-TA
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."

I have an Eastman 822 which is their GS size.  Out of all the guitars I have owned I like it the best.  Bill's guitar is excellent too.

Quote from: alvinlam on September 18, 2009, 10:10:20 PM
Bill:

Quote from: kindredspirit on September 20, 2009, 09:17:36 PM
I have an Eastman 822 which is their GS size.  Out of all the guitars I have owned I like it the best.  Bill's guitar is excellent too.

I think Kendall means GA, "grand auditorium." His is really a fine guitar, larger than mine with a bit "larger" sound.   :thumb

Bill

Hey Bill!  From the Eastman website it is called a GA.  But based on the Taylor dimensions I was calling it a GS because the lower bout is 16 inches, well really 15 7/8.  All these abbreviations just seem to run together over time.  So I stand corrected..  It is a GA.  It does sound fantastic though.
kwh 

Quote from: Broadus on September 20, 2009, 09:36:03 PM
I think Kendall means GA, "grand auditorium." His is really a fine guitar, larger than mine with a bit "larger" sound.   :thumb

Bill

I bought a DV-03 cutaway a couple months back after a narrowed search between the Yamaha ll16l, and the GAD 50L. It had more features and I thought I would go with the Larri. So on Ebay I see a blem GAD 50L for $550 and figured I could not get it much cheaper than that so I offered and the seller took the deal.

I played it next the the Larrivee and really felt good about it. The next is very narrow, and its rosewood which sounds great, bright next to the Larri. I have to say on certain songs it is a better fit.

I have the option to send it back but I don't think I will. I like the GAD 50L a lot, I just wish I knew why it was considered a blem, other than a few nicks that I don't care about and the strings being a little raised It is a great guitar.

My Larri's low end is great and it is not as forward as the GAD.

I only skimmed the first few responses but basically it comes down to "where are my dollars going to end up?" I've been impressed by Yamaha LL's but feel better about spending a little more for even a Martin 16 series that happens to have a factory that is located about a half hour south of where I was raised - even though I happen to prefer the tone.

FWIW I have no qualms about sending my money north of the border to Vancouver, BC though! ;)
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

If you can grab anything with Stanford on the headstock you have a pretty amazing guitar.......for any money  :thumbsup
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"

I have owned, and still own my share of offshore built guitars.  For my money, the Korean made Corts I have owned have been the better made and sounding ones that I have tried.  BUT!  I would sooner play and own one good beat up North Amercing built guitar that I really like, than a hundred off shores that I sorta like.  But to me there are so many moral issues beyond that.  That is why from my skivies to my hat, I am now trying to wear, buy, use and even eat nothing but North American produced ... the closer to my home the better.  So why not my guitars?  The question is not "is something offshore as good as...?" The queston is "can't I find something locally produced that will meet my needs...?"  As one song I am rather fond of says, "We owe it to the pioneers to take this country back".  IMHO, we won't ever do it unless we honour our own artisans, particularly guitar makers.  You want an inexpensive NA produced good guitar, check out the plethora of Godin made products, made in good old Quebec Canada, and as inexpensive as anything Chinese made but better quality. http://www.godinguitars.com/
fwiw
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

I also am impressed with Cort - hey make their own, one of few actual guitar makers in Korea. The Earth series acoustics are nice. I've owned 2 - gave one to a friend, kept the other.

Just received Chinese solid spruce/solid mahog OM (Silver Creek). Short scale with 1.75 nut. Pretty much an OM-18 clone. Needs the action brought down, but seems like a keeper. (It was the $99 Musicians Friend stupid deal of the day - how could I pass that up?)

I am on a hunt for a small beater (well really better than that). I just ran into a surprising find -
Hohner Essential Series. They are new this Fall. Chinese,  'hog laminated, solid sitka top and bracing (scalloped!). Amazing for the price. I am so glad  I have a couple of really good guitars, but I am very seriously thinking of buying one of these - same price as the A&L Ami, and of similar maybe even better build quality.  I probably will go for the Parlor - which is actually more of a 00, 14 fret, satin.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Epi Hummingbird Limited Vintage Sunburst.  $249 at MF.com.  Sounds like a solid top Yamaha.  Beefy neck.  Just got it yesterday.  I'm very pleased.  This will sound dumb but I bought it just because I liked the looks and price.  The tone did follow.  Luck me!

Carry On!

John

Quote from: alvinlam on September 14, 2009, 10:15:36 AM
Good for you!  :thumb  BTW, read that Eastman is another well-made MIC guitar. You ought to check it out.

Eastmans sound fantastic for the low cost.  However, I recently played two AC312's and noticed that both had necks that were installed slightly off center in the neck pocket.  Maybe a bad batch? 

Unusual is that most Eastmans are finished in gloss nitro-cellulose lacquer which is rare for low priced guitars.