Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Guitar Discussion  (Read 15098 times)
guitarcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2004, 12:35:47 PM »

Hello everyone, we seem to be getting off track again.  

First, the OO is not an option.  The molds are destroyed and no matter how much money we give them they won't build it.  

Second, the OOO is an option, but it would have to come from Oxnard with a gloss finish, and the price will be at least double what we have with the OM.  They do not and will not build a satin finish OOO.  Vancouver is not set up to build the OOO's.  

The biggest issue in the feedback that I have received is cost.  Most people have indicated they want to keep the price around $1000, but want something unique.  The only way to get the price in that range is to go with a 03 series starting point.  The 12 fret neck join is a great way to get something unique and different.  You have to keep in mind that most of what you find out there are people's opinions.  There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to building guitars.  Many excellent builders make 12 fret OM's.  The Larrivee Pete Anderson was guitar of the year at NAMM when it was introduced.

If you are interested in this guitar, please post your intent to purchase in the buying thread at the top.  If not, and we get enough interest for a different design, then we can pursue that option.  I don't think it helps to keep going over options that Larrivee has already said they won't or can't build.  Thanks for the input, this will be a guitar made for the forum, so it is important we get maximum input.  Jason

http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT
Zach
Admin

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2004, 01:43:06 PM »

Agreed.  The order thread at the top is for a 12 Fret OM.  If someone really wants something different, I would suggest talking to Larrivee personally or to one of the dealers on this forum (Dave still has some OOs I think).  

From what I understand, to keep the price down is has to be satin finish.  Since satin finished guitars are built at the Canadian facililty, there is a limit to the body sizes that can be built there.  I'm guessing a satin 12 fret OM can be built there because the Pete Anderson guitars were made there.  Any body size that is not made in the 03 series must be made in California, which would require a gloss finish and higher price.  

I think Larrivee is being extremely generous in offering us anything outside of the ordinary at such a great price.  

Zach
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2004, 02:01:36 PM »

I think we've got 12. I just did a count of those who committed in the "Order Thread".  I think Jason wanted one although he did not specifically say so in the order thread...but I'm counting him as 1. Here is my summary.

Jason-1
Sawdustdave-1
Randy R-1
Big Martin-1
Song Man-1
Dotneck-1
Flaggerphil-1
Unclrob-3
Sublro-1
Wronghander-1 (lefty)

:o  :o  

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2004, 02:43:32 PM »

Second, the OOO is an option, but it would have to come from Oxnard with a gloss finish, and the price will be at least double what we have with the OM.  They do not and will not build a satin finish OOO.  Vancouver is not set up to build the OOO's. 

OK

An "-04" trim level 000 should only be a small bit more, not anywhere close to double

its the same as an "-03" with a gloss body and they normally price out only slightly higher than the 03.  They already have used satin necks on gloss finish bodies from Oxnard.

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2004, 03:12:22 PM »

the point is we can not get a 000 body as a 4 as the 4's have been disc.We are limited to the 03 modal which is fine by me.I think that it has been decided a 12 fret OM body with a spruce top by the majority.A mahogany top version my be doable latter or maybe some other modal.Don't forget that a main priority was keep it under $1000.00.From the list the people that are ready to go have decided on the spruce/mahogany.Inlay is the only thing in ? rite now.
This will not be a modal that any dealer will be stocking it is the forums guitar offered to its members.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zach
Admin

« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2004, 03:18:36 PM »

Second, the OOO is an option, but it would have to come from Oxnard with a gloss finish, and the price will be at least double what we have with the OM.  They do not and will not build a satin finish OOO.  Vancouver is not set up to build the OOO's. 

OK

An "-04" trim level 000 should only be a small bit more, not anywhere close to double

its the same as an "-03" with a gloss body and they normally price out only slightly higher than the 03.  They already have used satin necks on gloss finish bodies from Oxnard.
They don't make 04s anymore, and when they did all guitars were made in Canada.  An 04 was an 03 with a gloss finish, but the 03s are made in Canada and the 000s are made in California.  Also, the 000s have different bracing, slotted headstocks, enlarged soundholes, different tuners, etc., all of which contribute to the cost.  

Don't get me wrong, a no-frills 000 would be great, but it isn't going to happen.  Larrivee has already stated what they can't, won't, and no longer make, and I feel we need to respect that.  

Zach
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2004, 03:30:16 PM »

Jason indicated that a 000 was an option

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Gibson L-130
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2004, 03:30:18 PM »

sorry don't know how to add images directly. Check out this URL to visualize the forum guitar as proposed...

http://home.comcast.net/~rbsutherland/imag...m_guitar_nd.jpg
Rob, nice job on the photoshop morph.

This should include the image:

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
Robb

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2004, 03:40:47 PM »

All she needs is one of the new style pickguards and your there...If I hadnt just bought a new parlor and  new Om from jason I would order one of these...I think these will both have a unique Look and sound...Very few brands offer a 12 fret full size om....Robb

Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical
Zach
Admin

« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2004, 03:45:48 PM »

Jason indicated that a 000 was an option
Right, but it would be based, I'm guessing, on the 000-50, which would raise the price.  

Zach
guitarcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2004, 06:07:22 PM »

Hello again, more info.  Zach is correct, if we did a OOO it would have to come from Oxnard, and would be based on the OOO-50.  The cheapest 05 series guitars don't get into our price range, even at my discount.  A OOO would be more to start, plus any additions.  It wouldn't work at our target price.  Here is the last word from Larrivee:

12 Fret OM: No Problem, just an upcharge for the different neck

Satin finish: Normally no, but for us they will do it.

Mahogany back and sides: Yes

Adirondack Spruce: Most likely no, but if they locate enough to do the whole run it would add $400 to the price, taking us well out of our target.  They have no Red Sitka Spruce.  They have done a few in the past, but they have none right now.  

Spruce or Mahogany Top:  This is the best news.  They normally would require all be exactly the same but they said they will split the order into two groups based on the top preference.

Inlay: 10 series inlay is no problem, but will add $125 to the price.

We need to get the final word on the inlay and I think we have a spec chosen.  As soon as we decide this we can order.

I believe we have enough orders to start a run, so I need everyone who is buying one to contact me and place a $300 deposit.  This will get the orders in and production started.  

I know this isn't everyone's first choice, but in order to avoid the custom order surcharge and get a satin finish guitar it has to be this way.  I am excited as I can get my mahogany top, and those who want spruce can get that.  Thanks again to all.  We'll get this in soon.  Jason

My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2004, 06:49:35 PM »

Thats good news Jason...by splitting mahogany and spruce tops we should be albe to get started.

One thing I don't get...isn't the satin finish whats normally on an 03?

Also, and this doesn't relly matter to the order process...I thought red spruce WAS adirondack (or adirondack is red spruce). I think ad would be worth the $400 but lets keep this simple.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Zach
Admin

« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2004, 06:53:33 PM »

One thing I don't get...isn't the satin finish whats normally on an 03?

Yes, but they normally don't do any custom guitars with a satin finish.

Zach
sublro

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2004, 07:12:24 PM »

I agree that the red spruce would be nice for what it does for tone, but the price tag is too high for me...

Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP
SongMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2004, 08:47:29 PM »

I'd pay around $400 for adirondeck top.  
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2004, 09:33:38 PM »

I am really glad there are a full order of buyers of the #1 forum guitar.  

Let me know as soon as the orders are all deposited - I have a superb 2nd edition idea.  just as simple, just a little more expensive  and a great design...

Larrivee 000-50
Gibson L-130
Zach
Admin

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2004, 09:51:33 PM »

As far as I'm concerned,  this is THE forum guitar, at least for a long while.  I don't see any point in coming up with a bunch of different designs and trying to get them made under the 'Forum Guitar' title.  I think it takes something away from the original if we were to keep doing it.  I'm not trying to come across as rude to anyone that has suggested the 'next' forum guitar idea, but I think we need to do it once, and them be done with it for a while.   afro

EDIT:  This probably was a little harsh.  Basically, I think the 'Forum Guitar' should be a one time (or at least a long time between) type of deal.  That keeps it special for the people that buy it.

Zach
guitarcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2004, 11:21:13 PM »

I kind of agree with Zach, at most it should probably be a yearly thing.  Even that may be too frequent.  I think it comes down to the feeling of Larrivee as the builder and Zach as the creator of the forum how often these things are done.  We don't want to "overexpose" the forum guitar concept.  I am excited about this guitar and hope to get these into your hands as soon as possible.  We still need the final decision on the inlay.  Maybe Zach could post a poll on whether or not to go with the 12th fret inlay so we can decide.  Absent any other good suggestions I think the choice is the 10 series inlay, or nothing.  If you could get a poll going I would appreciate it Zach.  Thanks again for all your help.  Jason

My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT
Zach
Admin

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2004, 11:26:40 PM »

Jason,

I'll get a thread started about the inlay.  One question about it first though:  If the 10 style inlay is on the 12th fret, will there still be dots on the others?  Thanks again for all you're doing in this.

Zach
sublro

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2004, 12:06:01 AM »

if someone can tell me how you post images right into the body of a message, I'll post the Photoshopped mock-up I did with both the dots and the 10-style inlay. I think you'll all see that it looks a little weird compared to having just the 12th-fret inlay.

Also, while I'm here, is there anything else that's simple that people could suggest as options? I almost hesitate to ask, as we don't want another wide-ranging discussion with lots of personal wishlists and expensive suggestions. Please filter any answers or suggestions through some thought about whether your suggestion is likely to have broad appeal and whether it would be simple and inexpesive.

I personally like the look of the 10-style on the 12th fret, though only without the dot markers... if the dot-markers have to be there, I vote nothing.

my only other input is that I wonder whether anything simple could be done for inlay on the headstock... possible, or is that done in CA or too expensive etc.?

Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: