Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:19:32 AM »

What do you use?
thin, med, heavy , xtra heavy,
fender, dunlop,
tortoise shell, crazy color plastics.
tell me why you use what you use.

by the way, I try others and go back to  fender medium tortoise shell.
My brother uses a Fender xtra heavy!
for both acoustic and electric guitar
Dave
flathead

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »

I've tried quite a few different picks and I always come back to the Fender medium. I think the reason may be that my style of playing was learned with  the fender medium, and my ear was trained with  them also. I like the tone you get with other picks sometimes, but I always come back to "my" pick.

Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 01:28:59 AM »

When I use a pick its a genaric fender med.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
itscowfun

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »

i used to use dunlop nylons but as of late my favorite for picking and hybrid picking TE stuff is the cool picks "cat tongue" red in 0.73mm.  sooo goooodd

Old Flames:
Silvercreek T-160
Taylor 214
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:31:52 AM »

I use different picks for different string guages,as well as guitars.For my OM's(light guage) I like .88 Star Picks.

For my light string guage Larri Dread,I use a combo of .73 Star Picks,and medium Celluloid.The Cellulois really sounds great on this guitar,for some reason.

For my medium guage strung Bourgy dread I prefer .96 Star Picks....I also use Propik finger picks for my crappy(but getting better) finger picking-:)

Personally,I find this a very interesting topic...especially as UMGF has really gotten into this subject,and many of those folks are quite experienced(not that folks here are not....I am sure they are)...I'm curious as to the benefits of stuff like Wegen,Red Bear,and Blue Chip picks,now that I realize just how much the sound can be "shaped" by a pick....As far a tortoise shell is concerned...I'm giving those critters the respect they deserve,and will never know...

Still,I am not going to invest anymore moola until my technique improves.

Good luck
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »

Finger picking is really my forte. From my perspective the less the pick gets in the way the better. I find it easier to strum more fluidly with a thin pick. I use Dunlop Tortex .50 mm at home and Dunlap Gatorgrip .58 for performance as it has a bit more power without feeling to stiff. In my opinion these picks are not slippery or stiff so they feel more natural to the touch. I am sure a good platpicker has a very different perspective and so it goes.   

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »

I started using a Wegen pick that came with my son's mandolin.  It's probably about a 1.5.  Nice fat tone and great from heavy strumming and living room flatpickin'.  I think it works really well on the mandolin as well.  If I want it a little more snappy, I'll use a Dunlop .96mm.  It took me a while to get up to the fat pick and thought the tone sounded too fat when I first tried it.  Now I love it.  It's amazing how much a pick can affect and shape the tone.  We spend a lot of money on things that don't affect tone (bindings, pickguards, tuners, etc.,)  but I balk at the thought of paying more than a couple of bucks for a pick. 

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
cc407

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 11:53:44 PM »

My favorite are EBE glow-in-the-dark Alien Heads - I think heavy.
They work best. It's Alien Technology, you know.
I Also use Fender medium.
When I want a softer sound I use Dunlop nylon in .73mm
djc227

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 04:21:49 AM »

I had never really found a pick I liked until I got a chance to play a genuine tortoiseshell pick that I bought from a guy on another forum.  (No PETA bashings please, the tortoiseshell was 100 years old and made from an antique brush)  I could not believe the difference in tone and playability.  It's about 1 to 1.2 mm with a speed bevel.  It really is worth the hype.  I'm not condoning the killing of turtles for picks, but if the Red Bear and Blue Chip picks really do sound the same, I would not hesitate to pay the $20-35 to buy one.  I'll never go pack to a regular pick again.  I have fender and another brand of the same thickness and style that makes the guitar sound muddy, but the TS makes it sing like you wouldn't believe!

Larrivee D-03
Washburn D21S
Michael Kelly Dragonfly III Mando
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 06:03:39 AM »

Dunlop Gel picks. M or M-L depending on style of play.  I really like them and they are inexpensive.

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Dr.Lee

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »

I started using a Wegen pick that came with my son's mandolin.  It's probably about a 1.5.  Nice fat tone and great from heavy strumming and living room flatpickin'.  I think it works really well on the mandolin as well.  If I want it a little more snappy, I'll use a Dunlop .96mm.  It took me a while to get up to the fat pick and thought the tone sounded too fat when I first tried it.  Now I love it.  It's amazing how much a pick can affect and shape the tone.  We spend a lot of money on things that don't affect tone (bindings, pickguards, tuners, etc.,)  but I balk at the thought of paying more than a couple of bucks for a pick. 

I have gone through a million picks. They all sound different. Even picks from the same dozen sound different. And measure them! I bought a dozen Clayton picks about 1mm, they measured different sizes, with all different sound, even with the ones that measured the same sounded different. Thats when I sprang for the extra bucks for the Wegens. I use the Triangle shape the most, 1.4mm but have 1.0mm and 1.2mm. The all sound great, less pick clatter. They are supposed to be made from Kevlar. Maybe that accounts for the tone. So far I love them.

Dr.

2006 Larrivee 00-60
2014 Recording King RD-310
2016 Corboba C7 Cedar/Rosewood

"Character is what you are in the dark"
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 04:22:20 AM »

Depends on the style:

For light strumming:  Dunlop nylon .38 mm - just brushes the strings.
General purpose strumming:  Dunlop nylon .88 mm
Melody picking:  Dunlop nylon 1mm

I keep one of each of these in my wallet's coin purse at all times.  They last forever.  I've had the trio that's in there several years, in use a few times a week.

For my electric playing, I typically reach for the nylon .88 mm, or a Dunlop 500 .71mm - though the point on that one is getting worn down.

I have been trying to wean myself off of the .38 pick for light strumming and going for more control with the .88mm

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
misterneutron

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 12:24:10 AM »

Great Pick Demo on YouTube.

Includes real tortoise, Wegen, Fender standard, Clown Barf (my personal favorite).

BTW, this is my instructor - check out his other music vids on YouTube.

'08 Larrivee OM-03R
'68 Messenger electric. Have one too? Contact me!
'75 S. Yairi classical
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 12:31:26 AM »

I've liked the Big Stubby for the past couple years...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:53:41 AM »

Great Pick Demo on YouTube.

Includes real tortoise, Wegen, Fender standard, Clown Barf (my personal favorite).

Now THERE'S proof to the non-believers of the importance of pick choice!
Thanks.

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 08:12:53 AM »

Like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSg6OGHKOY&NR=1

You are fortunate to have HIM as an instructor...

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

misterneutron

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »

I do feel fortunate...it was really dumb luck finding him.

He's scary good, and is more of a musical mentor than mere guitar teacher.

He plays all the time in various venues around town. If you are ever in Portland Oregon, come check him out.

Also has two CDs out - all fingerstyle Jazz.   I don't mind providing a shameless endorsement if the music is good!

Eric Skye

Cheers,

Tom

'08 Larrivee OM-03R
'68 Messenger electric. Have one too? Contact me!
'75 S. Yairi classical
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: